Defending Japan against Alaska minor & seaport

• '17

Garrison enough troops on Japan proper so they’re is no chance to get it; ditch SZ 6, get the money islands and work on India.

I wish my opponents would put themselves out of position like that.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@Navymule:

My regular opponent has come up with something new (in our games) while playing Allies:  he builds a minor and seaport in Alaska.  This puts him one turn from SZ 6 / mainland Japan.  Defending against KJF is difficult enough, but this has me completely flummoxed.  Any suggestions as to what I might do?

I will say that Germany and Italy are making hay in Europe while the Allies KJF, but not enough to compensate for Japan being neutralized by turn 5 or so.

LOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

You should be stomping this guy every game man!  The minor and NB are a sideshow, all the same can be accomplished from WUS without that investment.

Also - if he’s hell bent on coming from the north,  just keep your fleet the same size as his.  Remember that you go first, and you always defend better, and your airforce is 6x the starting size of USA’s.

If you are determind to defend against his push. Send a skeleton crew with your transports and take the islands to the south,  whilst you brave off against his fleet with your main force.

Remember you also have kamikaze advantage.  Be reluctant to use them, as the threat power is more of a deterrent than actual dice.

• '18 '17

So I see you guys laughing.  Maybe I’m missing something.  Even with a J1 attack and grabbing two of the money islands, Japan is making 44 IPC’s.  USA, first turn, collects 72.  No way Japan keeps up with the American navy.  So how does Japan defend?  Actual question.

I opened with Grasshopper’s J1 opener, including a minor on Mainland China.  Looking to pressure China/India while grabbing money islands.  New Zealand builds subs just to harass Japanese transports.

If Japan builds navy defensively, India is never properly threatened.  If Japanese aircraft are used defensively, China never gets properly knocked back.  On top of this, Russia threatens Korea and provides a nice landing spot for US strategic bombers.

I may not be a A&A hero like many of you, so I’m looking for an actual strat to combat this.

Not having issues in Europe.  Would simply like to keep Japan viable past turn 5.

• '20

These Triple A game reports can be a good source of ideas.

You could choose not to defend SZ 6 and instead stage your fleet off FIC(would need naval base) or off Phillipines then counter-attack when he moves into 6. A minor in manchuria can help vs china, russia, or US->korea landings.

US is very limited when it goes to Alaska, in contrast to Carolines/Aus. You still should be able to protect transports taking DEI while have enough air and ships to smash 6 if he moves in. Take some pictures next time! Those are always fun and make advice more specific and applicable to your specific sutuations.

If Allies are in KJF mode till rd 5, you should have your route to victory in Europe clear-cut.

• '17 '16 '15

Don’t sweat it Navymule. Just the way Garg expresses himself sometimes : ).

As Garg said, just match him naval wise. Germany should be able to do whatever they want if US put that much into the Pacific. But I’m not a top player so … : )

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

put a destroyer in z7.  Just like you would put one in z16 if he were threatening z6 from Hawaii.

• Defend Korea, if need be place an AB there…then you have your fleet, 6 plane scramble and your kamikazes

Amur stack…crush it right away…very easily done

have subs and your air take out any units if you lose SZ 106…Subs should be in an adjacent SZ…he loses his planes if he takes hits on his carriers should you withdraw…(another reason why it is important to hold on to Korea)…if you win subs are not wasted…send them to convoy duty

Far more important to take away UKP income and be a threat to Calcutta than to take the money Islands. They should be a secondary objective

An AB and a NB on Kwangsi is more important than any Minor Industrial Complex early on…your Air is your bread and butter in China…give it the range and striking ability…I like to have to minors in later rounds…turn 4 and up…FIC and Manchuria

I also like to defend Caroline Islands or strike it when necessary should I lose it…so if he is going north to Alaska, then it’s a yippie cahye for me. Early on Japan needs mobility at sea, not land, only important land territories to hold on to are Yunnan, Anwhe, Amur and Korea.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

the whole pacific is a big dance.  Going down the middle is really bad for the allies, geometry wise, as Japan can screen and hold them off with one hand that direction (and vice versa).  So heading to queensland, up north, or “breaking the triangle” of SZ 6/ Phillipines/ Carolines first are all interesting variations on America just building up a gigantic fleet and then crossing.

Alaska may be a kind of dead end, or a bridge to Russia, but after turn 3-4 the US is getting stronger and everything against Japan 100% and US war income means you are forcing him to defend SZ 6 in depth, from some direction, hopefully.  If he declines to do so that’s a big win for you because you can threaten Japan’s new placements and block deeper sea lanes.  So the NB is an OK idea, the factory probably doesn’t do a ton that you cant do in WUS (fighters are 1 turn from Russia?)

• Stack Japan with Infantry. You can make 10 infantry a turn there where as he needs a transport for his units. If he wants to match your infantry build it costs him 13 to bring 2 men where as it only costs you 6. Then put a destroyer in SZ 7. When He moves his navy towards Japan he will have to take out the destroyer before he can attack your mainland. Depending on how the game is going this could buy you another turn to build units on Japan proper or if your airforce is present you should be able to smash his fleet.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@KGrimB:

Stack Japan with Infantry. You can make 10 infantry a turn there where as he needs a transport for his units. If he wants to match your infantry build it costs him 13 to bring 2 men where as it only costs you 6. Then put a destroyer in SZ 7. When He moves his navy towards Japan he will have to take out the destroyer before he can attack your mainland. Depending on how the game is going this could buy you another turn to build units on Japan proper or if your airforce is present you should be able to smash his fleet.

Watch for convoy raids and the loss of korea if you do this.

That said - it’s viable in a pinch.

• TripleA

Counter attack is better.  Take islands, you can keep big fleet on Phil or buy airbase naval french Indochina… Up to you. You want minor fic anyway. I honestly don’t care if USA parks on Japan… Kind of what happens when Japan takes over india, because all the air and transports slam it… Unless India retreated away then yeah USA won’t get to do that.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m