Country Specific Breakthroughs (Classic)

• I was thinking of incorporating country specific breakthroughs into Classic. How it would work, is that they would be an R&D breakthrough. You would pay for dice, roll them, and if you successfully roll a 6 you can choose 1 of 2 things. 1: roll again to get one of the 6 existing breakthroughs. 2: Choose the special upgrade for your country.

USSR - Infantry Sale: Infantry’s price is lowered to 2 IPCs. If the USSR player already has the Industrial Technology breakthrough, the price of Infantry remain at 2. This technology can really come in handy when defending your western front against the German player.

Germany - The Waffen SS: The German player unlocks a new unit, the SS Infantry. To combat the USSR’s 2 IPC infantry, Germany has access to a new type of Infantry. The SS Infantry costs 4 IPCs and attacks on a 2, defends on a 2, and moves on a 1. To represent the Waffen SS, I use Germany’s Infantry units from 1941. There is no limit to how many SS Infantry you can produce.

UK - Scrambling: Scrambling works exactly like it does in other versions of Axis and Allies. Since there are no air bases in Classic, it will instead be replaced with any Industrial Complexes. This is to aid in protecting the UK’s capital from a potential Operation Sealion

Japan - Advanced Submarines: In Axis and Allies Classic, with Submarines you’re only able to use the “Surprise Submarine Attack” once, and it is in the first round of combat. With this breakthrough it can also be used in the second round of combat effectively giving the Japanese player a second chance. The purpose is to strengthen the Japanese navy against the US’. This breakthrough can also be stacked with the “Super Submarines” breakthrough.

US - Naval Yards: Since there is no way to repair damaged Battleships in Classic, if the US player gains this breakthrough, they’re able to fix that. The US player can repair any damaged battleships (but not Aircraft Carriers) at any of its sea-zones adjacent to an Industrial Complex. This only applies to their complexes, so no repairing at London’s seazone. The purpose is to combat the Japanese player’s “Advanced Submarines”.

Italy (If you’re playing my house rules) - Might of the Italian Air Force: All air units are 25% cheaper, rounded. Fighters cost 9 IPCs and Bombers cost 11 IPCs. This is to combat the UK’s air breakthrough.

Notice how I had the all of the game’s rivals have the same category of breakthrough?
    USSR and Germany - Land Breakthrough
    UK and Italy - Air Breakthrough
    USA and Japan - Sea Breakthrough.

Opinions?

• I personally think there should be equal tech for the same unit that gives different units in the same class.

Example infantry tech but each tech is different for each nations.

USSR would be conscripts.
    Germany would be SS.
    UK would be Homeland infantry.
    France would be Resistance.
    Italy would be Frogmen.
    Japan would be “Koreans”
    US would be Marines
    ANZAC would be conscripts
    China would be suicide bombers.

And then work around that. Or what you could do is set the tech upgrades to actual units each nation has that Axis and Allies don’t have set up. Like China being able to buy tanks as an example.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m