Dashofpepper(Axis) vs Shadowhawk(Allies)

• I7 is attached.

I assumed a scramble in SZ92, lost both my subs, didn’t kill your destroyer. :(  Didn’t realize there was a destroyer there - its hiding under the graphic for the navy and airbase. ><

• Well, there’s the attachment at any rate.

I7.tsvg

• G8 complete.

Take a look at the dice rolls.  I’ve made some mistakes in this game, but I think that was my worst dice round so far.  Russians defended 2/2 infantry dice rolls in 2/3 of my attacks, UK scored 3/3 hits against my airstrike in Persia.

That really hurt.

G8.tsvg

• @ShadowHAwk:

Just wondering, why did you ignore my fleet off gibraltar?
    It can easy kill your german fleet now.

I’m looking - I don’t see anything I could have done about it.  Germany couldn’t take it even without a scramble.  What would you have done about the fleet there?

Japanese turn done.

dashvsshadow.tsvg

• @ShadowHAwk:

You got really lucky with some rolls, so im not sure if this puts me in a bad situation at some fronts but the combats went as planned for the most part.

Battle calculator had you coming out at -87 in FIC, and you came out +22. 
    Battle calculator had you coming out at +21 in SZ112 and you ended up +52.
    China had a clean sweep.
    UK Pacific had you at +4 in NW Persia, and you came out at -10.  But since you only sent planes with one mech, that’s one dice difference, which isn’t anomalous.
    Iraq had you at +35, and you came out at +45.

Everywhere else looks like you pretty much came out median expectation, which has been reflective of the game as a whole so far.

So…you pretty much outperformed average everywhere on dice rolls.  Where do you think I got lucky that is going to give you hard choices?

• Uh…not to mention that the US has Norway now, I have nothing around to try wedging you out, and that’s the only European wedge that the US needs to be in the war in a big way.

-I didn’t get into Russia, and that opportunity is gone.
    -China is about to sweep the asian continent.
    -The US has its European Theater Secure
    -UK just kicked Axis out of the middle east
    -Allies own the Pacific.
    -I messed up my India push and didn’t get it.

Conventional wisdom says that by Turn 6-7, the Axis needs to be on par with the Allies for production to have a chance at winning - I’m down by a chunk, and its going to get worse over the next several turns.  I’m pretty sure that the game is over and we’re going through the motions at this point, but if you see something that I’m not, speak up.

• Well, I’ve learned a ton, and you’ve spanked me hard twice. =D

Let me gracefully concede, study more tactics, and try to challenge you again when I can make fewer mistakes.  My IRL game is coming up this Friday, and while I’m not confident my team is going to win based on any generalship on my part, at least I know what’s happening on the board, and some possibilities on both sides.

Any post game critique?

• Shadow:

Thanks for the tips.

If you care what I was thinking with the Russia offensive:
      -I think I used the battle calculator, and it looked like you would have won an attack against me in Bryansk, so I diverted off so I could build. 
      -I didn’t want my army going to waste while you flew in reinforcements from the UK and spammed infantry builds, so I figured I’d divert to the middle east for a couple of turns while I built to give Italy a foothold in there. 
      -I attacked where I did instead of Persia because I didn’t see the counterattack, and I wanted Italy to take Persia for their national objective IPC bonus.

On the western european front, I moved my German fleet into SZ112 because I’m playing against Colt as well (although that’s probably close to over too) and he got into Norway and is building America up there with reinforcements from UK.  I tried to dislodge him for several turns, which halted my Russian offensive, but it didn’t work; if my German navy had been in SZ112, his landing choices would have been limited to Normandy and Holland (or the Med).  I didn’t look as far down as Gibraltar to see what naval capability you had, I just saw a mostly empty British waters and thought I was safe.

Lesson learned in the Pacific.  I was trying to fend off the US while also dealing with UK and China; the two turn opener guide I was following tells me to use the Caroline fleet to clear out ANZAC or other stray ships in the south pacific, but the one time I tried that, I ended out of position with the US taking Carolines, and me having a half fleet stuck south of it as I tried to get back into meaningful zones.  Losing a factory on the mainland hurt; I’ve just learned what the “India hammer” is, and that while I thought I was playing aggressively with my Japanese aircraft, I wasn’t aggressive enough.  I think if I pursue the second turn war, I need to abandon the pacific to US dominance and focus everything on taking India out those first few turns with enough defense to keep Japan safe from invasion, then working my way North into China and doing my best to defend either Manchuria or Korea.

It sucks to give up Manchuria, because then the Chinese can build there and gain +3 IPCs, but long term…I think letting China have Yunnan would be even more disastrous.

As for using a guide - we all have to start somewhere.  Instead of trying to invent a strategy, I found one that looked viable, practiced using its moveset so that I could do it without having to refer back step by step (IE, what to invade SZ110 and SZ111 with, how to attack France and Yugoslavia on G1), then looked at the outcome of the first couple turns.  I think its a viable strategy - or at least I hope it will be because I’m a conservative player, and it is explained as a more risk-averse solid strategy for Axis.

Getting some games under my belt trying it gives me the opportunity to see what works and what doesn’t and shift.  IE, I think I’m going to start buying a carrier and a bomber on G1 instead of just a carrier.  The guide says if my transports are left alive in I1, I should evacuate Italy - you left them alive, but blocked my Italian exit and I didn’t know what to do - so what I should have done instead then would be to suicide them into Egypt to pressure the UK’s hold on Africa and let my African Italy corp maybe get into Egypt.  If I’m going to lose them anyway, might as well try making it count.

Give me some time to watch and learn some more and I’ll challenge your expert prowess again!

• @ShadowHAwk:

Both italy and germany have the same NO’s in the middle east. So taking persia with germany and taking iraq with italy would have yielded the same result.

I’ll have to re-read the objectives - I thought Italy had a middle east bonus that Germany didn’t have, so I was trying to give it to Italy, and also boost Italy’s income.

@ShadowHAwk:

The german fleet has been idle for the last 4 rounds as far as i checked. Why didnt you just build 2 inf 2 art and drop them in novgorod every turn? Same hit/attack as mech/tank and same speed with the transport but 8 ipcs cheaper. So thats 2 more mechs that are at the front.

Probably because I’m a newb and it didn’t occur to me.  =D

Although I’m not sure what you mean.  Novgorod has a three build capacity, so I couldn’t have built that, and the transport I had off West Germany was shuttling one infantry and one artillery up to Norway every turn to try preventing exactly what you just did.

• Its this coming Friday - I’m to be the Germans, and probably Italy.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m