Modern warfare & safety…Robots

• I think the vicarious warfare you mention Chengora will be a reality.  You are exactly right about using video games to train people, as the US Army has recently (past 2-4 years) released a game that is in their interest - “America’s Army.”  It seems that the benefits are many, desensitizing among them.  Not to mention that it is a branding of the Army itself, a la any corporate marketing scheme: Army of One slogan, similar ads that ring with familiarity every time you see them, a logo, etc…

Now, while I think it will happen, let’s at least suppose it happens.  Robotics and vicarious warfare are now a reality.  Since we would not be experiencing as many human casualties, and instead suffer financial loss, would we be more or less prone to go to war?
    Also, robotics and automated weaponry aren’t necessarily better than humans at combat, they just have a different set of strengths and weaknesses.  Such as: the need for battlefield mechanics/robotic experts; EMP shielding; anti-hacking protection, and so on.  The distance that is created between the warrior and the battle almost allows for even more unfortunate circumstances, i.e. communication breakdown.  I would think a squad of humans would be able to adapt easier than a squad of automatons behind enemy lines.

I can almost see it now, though:  A lone drone traversing the battlefield, resplendent in its awesome weaponry.  On closer inspection you see an AOL logo and an Intel Inside! icon on the hood.

• I would like to see a robot fireteam storm a house, eliminate hostiles, and secure any targets.

Face it, there are somethings robots cant do. A robot would find it very difficult to climb stairs i imagine.

• well,
    it could blow up the house, i suppose . . . .

• AND KILL INNOCENTS!!!??? :-o :-o :-o GOD FORBID!!!

• Certainly there are things that a robot couldn’t do that would of course require actual human soldiers.  But part of FCS is a reconceptualization of the U.S. military’s mission.  Drones, etc. are meant to provide full battlefield superiority with a minimum loss of human life.  I don’t think communications breakdown is really that big of a deal, nor do I find that EMP weapons are a threat (on a ground battle at least, with close air support, an EMP weapon would knock out everyone.).  The difficulty, as I said, is doctrine:  when should we use these weapons and how?  The concern is that a drone is used as an alternative to humans raiding a building, say, by instead simply blowing it up.  The choices lying behind the use of these weapons, particularly if they give a sense of desensitization, are very worrying, in my mind.  Oh, gotta go!

Oh, yeah, I was in Tokyo, and the time before that in Hokkaido.

• Hokkaido?  Wow, that seems a bit out of the way, even for Japan.  Of the place I’ve been to in Japan (Tokyo, Fukuoka, Saga and Osaka - on a previous trip, not this trip) I’d have to say that for Japan I really liked Fukuoka the best although Tokyo is very nice as well and there is more to do in Tokyo.  I guess a big part is who you are with … it is really nice when the Japanese client will show you around a bit if time permits.  I’d love to go to Hokkaido as I hear it is much different than the rest of Japan because it is not as densely settled.

I think the main reason the military wants to use robots is to reduce American casualties.  While large civilian casualties (such as we are seeing with the Iraqis now) are bad it gets much worse politically when there are large numbers of our soldiers getting killed.  But no one cares about a dead robot.  That these robots desensitize the typical soldier may or may not be desired or intended by the military leadership, but its certainly not the primary reason for the robots.

The choice in using the weapon for military leaders is simple – whenever their use can accomplish the military objective, thus eliminating the chance of American casualties or hostages.  The caveat is if 1) their use opens up the possibility of large numbers of civilian casualties (which can also make a political mess) that will probably not happen with actual soldiers, and 2) it can be assumed the loss of Americans will be relatively light.  In this case, the use of human soldiers are prefered.

• Yeah, Hokkaido was kind of a weird experience for me.  The group I was working for had a major success, so it decided to take everyone to Hokkaido in the dead of winter.  So, we ended up playing with snow and exploring a glacier.  This is presumably because at that time I was working in a tropical country, so a lot of people there had never seen snow before.  Beautiful place and very sparsely populated.  Still, I hate shoveling snow, especially since I had to help my parents do it starting at age five, and we were too cheap to by a snow blower (well, at least not until I was 16).  So, standing on a glacier when Japanese civilization, culture, and food were so close by lost its charm kind of quickly.  :-D

And I agree, I think the U.S. military does want it to cut down on casualties, although it’s my understanding that they will eventually move into “superhuman” combat.  For example, planes operating in G-force environments far in excess of human sustainability.

I must admit, however, that underlying my concerns regarding the use of machines, I find all of this incredibly cool.  :-)

• @Chengora:

Yeah, Hokkaido was kind of a weird experience for me.  The group I was working for had a major success, so it decided to take everyone to Hokkaido in the dead of winter.  So, we ended up playing with snow and exploring a glacier.  This is presumably because at that time I was working in a tropical country, so a lot of people there had never seen snow before.  Beautiful place and very sparsely populated.  Still, I hate shoveling snow, especially since I had to help my parents do it starting at age five, and we were too cheap to by a snow blower (well, at least not until I was 16).  So, standing on a glacier when Japanese civilization, culture, and food were so close by lost its charm kind of quickly.  :-D

And I agree, I think the U.S. military does want it to cut down on casualties, although it’s my understanding that they will eventually move into “superhuman” combat.  For example, planes operating in G-force environments far in excess of human sustainability.

I must admit, however, that underlying my concerns regarding the use of machines, I find all of this incredibly cool.  :-)

I’m always awed by technology - probably the same way that Oppenheimer felt after the first nuclear test.  It can create & destroy.  Awesome (and not in the Valley Girl way).

You guys are making me envious.  I’ve always wanted to go to Japan.  I’m sure I’d enjoy the island Hokkaido less than the others, but I’d take it!  By the way, Hokkaido was the last island to be assimilated into Japan of the major islands, which may be why it’s still “out there.”  I’m sure the cold and rare arable land doesn’t help either….

• @Chengora:

John Connor is alive and no longer trackable.  His mom, Sarah Connor, is dead.

• @Linkon:

John Connor is alive and no longer trackable.

What? They removed his DNA from his personage?
    I don’t think so.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m