Re: YG's G40 Invitational - Comments

• TripleA

One of these days I will make it to an event.

• TripleA

I won’t tell people who I am until I buy J1

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

I wish you all good fun and good dice!! Looking forward to the stories :-)

• Disciplinary Group Banned

@Cow:

What the heck is a J1???

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I wish you were here Cow - you would dominate most of the competition; and we would defintely meet in battle.  No need to keep your identity secret.

Prizes have been awesome;  HBG has epic stuff, General Hand Grenade personally signed his house rules set I won.

Prizes are chosen for each Victory token scored.

After today’s game - I was publicly accused by Young Grasshopper (and I quote) of “Raping the prize table”  LOL.  Kudo’s to YG for getting the prizes and sponsors organized - WOW!

And lets not forget to top it off, Larry Harris is rolling around signing game pieces and paraphenilia and giving tables A&A advice. Meeting with fans and Kicking back and chilling.

It’s like no other A&A game or event I have experienced.

• Sponsor

Thanks for creating this thread Cow, everything has been absolutely incredible so far… it’s so surreal to look around and see all these hard core A&A fans. Larry is just as blown away as the rest of us. Historical Board Gaming was a God send, and the true definition of a sponsor, I can’t thank them enough for what they’ve done.

So many first day stories and reports, way to busy to break it all down right now, but everything is being recorded. The Token system is holding up, all day one games were close except for Fed by Your Dread feeding the Dessert Posse with a score of 6-2 as the Allies (but I give those guys tons of credit for standing up and trying).

There are 9 tables (5 enthusiasts and 4 hobbyists), the Allies won 4 total, there were 2 ties, and the Axis won 3. It seemed to me walking around all tables (about 4 rounds in) and both sides were fighting in Africa on every table… I think there was only 3-4 Africa Tokens taken and they were split between the Axis and the Allies, so a lot of strategy surrounding the Med.

Larry was totally amazed by what we were able to accomplish this weekend, I thought he might choke up there when we honoured him with those fantastic customizations from DTROY and Siredblood. Gotta hit the hay now, still a full day of combat tommorow… sorry for the bad live stream guys, been so busy at the event, but I’ll try and get better angles for you coming up.

Check out General Hand Grenade YouTube channel, he’s got a great game repot and he has some great footage of Larry and Siredblood together.

PS: I posted an entire gallery of photos on my twitter account @cliffsidebunker

• '17

He guys!
    Still i’m sorry for my self that i could not make it to the event! It looks like the event of the century! But we here in Holland at the Sea Bottom had a blast too! I had an open invitation to come and play 1940 global with me! 4 people made it to my house and a fiifth dropped by to check us out! All strangers to me, but not anymore! We had a great time! A very good alternative for being in Toronto!
    You guys have a great 2nd day!
    Cheers!

• @Dauvio:

@Cow:

What the heck is a J1???

I might be wrong but I think it’s a set of numbers and plus signs that Ralph and Nortan came up with, backed up with their clan of grand pubas to show that chess is the best board game. :-D

• @Dauvio:

@Cow:

What the heck is a J1???

J1 ='Jacka&& no. 1

• Great stories all. Glad it has been a success.
    Hurrah for Canada!

• Awesome guys. Enjoy day 2!

• YG, given that the Axis are viewed as having an edge, I think you should have done a bid for sides on the medal round.

• '17 '16

I saw one player using dice to record how many hits defenders received. But they wait until both sides know how many casualties they have to be pick, before going on.

Do you usually wait to see how many casualty attacker had received before both sides select which specific units is taken?

IMO, from a competitive way of playing, defender’s must select his casualty before knowing what will be his own defense rolls and how good or bad he will get.

Going other way is more fair-play, but not correct according to rules.

Am I wrong about this?

By the way, pretty amazing event.
    I watch as much as possible all Larry moments in live and recorded on youtube.
    Thanks for letting us have a taste of this great tournament.
    Baron

• Sponsor

@larrymarx:

YG, given that the Axis are viewed as having an edge, I think you should have done a bid for sides on the medal round.

Thanks for the suggestion, I just felt that the team who scored the most tokens over 2 full day games deserved to choose their side in the medal rounds , and then there’s the fact that I hate bids.

• Sponsor

@Baron:

I saw one player using dice to record how many hits defenders received. But they wait until both sides know how many casualties they have to be pick, before going on.

Do you usually wait to see how many casualty attacker had received before both sides select which specific units is taken?

IMO, from a competitive way of playing, defender’s must select his casualty before knowing what will be his own defense rolls and how good or bad he will get.

Am I wrong about this?

Baron

It’s up to each table and all players around it to play by the rules, if that was happening than it would have been up to the opponent to request that casualties be chosen first before rolling as per the rules.

• '17 '16

I hope you will give us feedback of people about victory tokens.
    IMO, it is a great thing to actually get so many people playing along and agreeing to follow what was basically a houserule. And you bring a deck to enhanced the experience.
    Nice job.
    Mission accomplish, hope you will get a few cooldown moments to make post-mortems and enjoy what you have created and manage to settle.

• big thank you to all who are posting pics and vids of this event. I’ve looked at all so far and love it. What could make a dream weekend better……drinking a beer with Larry.

• '18 '17 '16

@Baron:

Am I wrong about this?

Baron

You’re probably referring to our game where I was recording hits. If it was obvious like in the case of a ground assault where there was an obvious choice of casualty like an infantry, then we had no problem with them choosing after the rolls. In a naval battle though where it makes a big difference what is chosen as a casualty, we might kindly ask our opponent to choose before rolling.

It’s been a great weekend so far and my partner and I are looking forward to playing in the finals against a team that has steamrolled their way through the competition thus far. YG and his team have done an amazing job of organizing this event and have bent over backwards helping us all to find our way around Toronto and a suitable place to stay while while we are here. I’m staying with one of the members of his play group along with fellow competitors from Austria and England. We are having a great time even after we leave the venue.

Larry has been gracious to everyone who has attended the event. The night before it started he met us down at the pub and knocked back a few while telling his stories. The 2 days at the hall he engaged with each and every person who wanted to speak to him. He never ducked any questions and he had a huge smile on his face the whole time. You could tell that he was at an event that was very special and that the significance was not lost on him. He was visibly moved by the gift that was presented to him by the A&A community.

Gotta go, it’s my turn to have a shower before those other guys use all the hot water!!

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

Wasn’t able to get the time off work to go myself but I watched the YouTube streams over the weekend.  Massive kudos to YG for putting on such a terrific tournament.

I saw the win ratios for round one posted on GeneralHandGrenade’s channel and earlier in this thread, but couldn’t find anything for round 2/the medal rounds.  How did those games go?

• @Young:

@larrymarx:

YG, given that the Axis are viewed as having an edge, I think you should have done a bid for sides on the medal round.

Thanks for the suggestion, I just felt that the team who scored the most tokens over 2 full day games deserved to choose their side in the medal rounds , and then there’s the fact that I hate bids.

I agree that bids are not an ideal solution. Ideally, since you are already modding the game to your token system, the solution would be to make sure that the two sides actually are balanced within the rule set.

Although I admire your token system, I don’t believe it actually has this effect. I would be happy to be wrong about this, so please let me know if the various teams’ results in the tournament indicate that it actually is balanced.

If it isn’t balanced, the medal round takes on less significance since the teams scoring 1st - 4th are quite likely to maintain that ranking after playing games where the higher ranking team has an edge.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m