• Question is very simple, I do it as I can.

• Yes.

• I think it depends on each country.

The most obvious is Germany/Italy. They cannot ignore the Western Front and must garrison France with a reaction force that is not just INF. They need some firepower in the reserve force to push off any Allied invasion. If the Allies can get into Normandy/Southern Europe/Belgium or god forbid Western Germany and Germans/italy do not have a large enough Reserve to push them off before the Allies can reinforce, well, the war might just be lost.

The France reaction force needs some 2 movers in case the Allies go for Rome, or New York.  :-)

• I feel that this is a very open ended question. You can really do any of those things, and not necessarily only one of them all of the time. The game of A&A is a reactionary game. You must be able to account for many things happening and you must be able to think turns in advance while adapting your strategies to the outcome of decisive battles. I like to think of A&A much like the game of chess. You must be able to think many turns in advance. Leaving units behind can be a good move depending on your individual situation.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@ShadowHAwk:

@Caesar:

Yes.

Yes to which of the 2 options?

Yes

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Not attacking with all forces so you can deside afterwards where you put your main force?

Or leaving behind part of your forces

In some ways these are the same thing,  as for me  the answer to the question is rarely; or automatically.

“strategic reserves” deliberately left places are generally poor form; as an example the Japanese should always work to get their units off valueless islands; and redeploy them where they matter.  Or AAA’s shouldn’t be left in US capitals, move that junk to the front and maximize your power!

Each piece should move each turn and have purpose.  As Larry said in his 1998 Hasbro A&A Video Game intro, you need to move like a field marshall and hit your enemy with everything you’ve got.  This is why I rarely ever leave anyone behind as a “reserve”.

That said, builds can give you what I would call “automatic” reserves.  Example,  Germany is under the pressure but needs units for Moscow.  The units you build in Berlin serve a dual purpose of keeping pressure on the enemy, whilst also protecting your capital.  Or for example, you can do the same thing in West germany,  build 10 mech there that are destined to go to the east for Moscow,  but should the allies land in france or rome, you can hammer them with that force if necessary.

Aircraft placement is generally the “best” kind of strategic reserve option, as where you choose to place your aircraft will determine what options exist for you the next turn, without tying needless resources into areas that can be avoided.

Rommel has a great quote in the movie Patton, where he gets upset with Hitler for not allowing the redeployment of tanks/armies.  The quote is something like “Our men are throwing pebbles at each other on the beach in Calais, whilst our other boys are getting pounded in Normandy; I wish we could redeploy our forces, the allies would know they fought an army instead of a bunch of stationary targets!”

This quote holds some truth for A&A.

• Very good point

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m