• I already have Axis & Allies: Europe (1999) and i want to get into Axis & Allies again. Can i combine it with the Axis & Allies: Pacific (2001) version to make some kind of Axis & Allies: Global or do my game group have to get Axis & Allies Europe 1940 (2010) and Axis & Allies Pacific 1940 (2009) to do that. Thanks in advance  :-)

• There might be some rules on combining the old Europe & Pacific in the section House Rules here on the forum.

But I would advise you to get the 1940 E&P, 2nd edition, instead. More units, more countries/players, better map, more options, just far better.

• I would highly reccommend buying the second edition versions of both Axis and Allies Europe and Axis and Allied Pacific. I think they were both released in 2012. They are the latest and greatest version of the game and provide the full experience. If you buy the older versions you won’t get to enjoy many of the newer features.

• @tobiasandersen:

I already have Axis & Allies: Europe (1999) and i want to get into Axis & Allies again. Can i combine it with the Axis & Allies: Pacific (2001) version to make some kind of Axis & Allies: Global or do my game group have to get Axis & Allies Europe 1940 (2010) and Axis & Allies Pacific 1940 (2009) to do that. Thanks in advance

There are unfortunately several problems with the idea of combining the old Pacific and Europe games in this way.  First, if you only have Europe (as your post suggests, though I may be misreading it), you’d need to find the Pacific game, which is out of print.  Second, the two games were never designed to be combined, map-wise or otherwise.  I once saw, long ago, a graphic for some sort of “connector strip” that could supposedly be used to join the two map boards together; it was a clever idea, but it was also clumsy and it still left large parts of the world off the map.  Third, you’d have to devise some home-made global rules for a paired set of maps whose layout, territory values and game objectives were never intended for a global game.  Fourth, you’d be missing a lot of sculpts (both in terms of units types and of countries) relative to the “real” Global game, A&A 1940, and especially the Global 1940 Second Edition version.

There have been various other threads on this forum that, in one way or another, have all been variants of the basic question, “Instead of buying the real current version of such-and-such an A&A game, can I hotwire an earlier version to produce the same thing?”  I generally think that it’s inadvisable to try this sort of thing: partly because it’s often difficult or even impossible to accomplish this fully, and partly because it’s potentially faster and less trouble and sometimes even cheaper to simply buy the current version.

• Thanks for all the answers  :-) its true i have the old Europe but i think i will buy the new versions of both europe and pacific as you guys suggest. Its just that is expensive and i just taught maybe i didnt need to when i had the old one  :-) You speak of new features in the 2 editions which features is that ?

• @tobiasandersen:

Thanks for all the answers its true i have the old Europe but i think i will buy the new versions of both europe and pacific as you guys suggest. Its just that is expensive and i just taught maybe i didnt need to when i had the old one You speak of new features in the 2 editions which features is that ?

Europe 1940 Second Edition and Pacific 1940 Second Edition (also known as the 1940.2 editions) are the current in-print versions, so they’ll be easier to find (and cheaper) than the First Edition (1940.1) of each game.  Compated to 1940.1, the 1940.2 games have more nation-specific sculpt designs (including a full array of ANZAC-specific units), and there’s also an anti-aircraft artillery sculpt (which was absent in 1940.1) for every country.  The map boards have a few differences, including an income-tracker strip at the top.  Have a look here…

http://www.axisandallies.org/p/whats-new-in-axis-allies-pacific-1940-and-europe-1940-second-editions/

…for more details.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

CWO Marc has the right idea;  the old games are fun, but sort-of flawed.  Each one is its own sandbox, with crazy rules that don’t fit anywhere else (for example Europe 1999 has oil-money stolen from Axis, the weird fun convoy squares, 12 cost destroyers that fight at 3/3, and a open bid–-none of these were continued in any other edition exactly the same way).

Now, the old games have a ton of pieces, sculpted in a harder plastic than the modern ones, so those can be used to invent your own rules and builds and games, or added to your collection and other wargames.

But there are just so many changes that trying to get away “on the cheap” without the new rulebooks, pieces and maps (or wonky paper map copies) would make for a pretty big effort compared to the easy path of just dropping the $200.

For example we custom-printed a G40 style board on vinyl, one sheet, but it cost $250 by itself, without any pieces or extras.

• Also, you mentioned that you have a game group with which you want to play A&A.  If money is tight, one option would be to ask the members of your group to chip in…perhaps even to the point of splitting the cost evenly between all the members, and treating the game as the collective property of the group.  Alternately, one person could buy and own the Europe 1940 game and one person could buy and own the Pacific 1940 game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m