RULE CLARIFICATION: Italy DOWs Moves to E. Poland - Germany Moves Doesn't DOW

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@suprise:

In my earlier question, I was Russia and Germany did not DOW on me, so I DOW’ed Germany. When it was the Italian turn they stepped into Spain and Turkey and there was no battle, just occupation. This was in an on line game, and it came down to a Neutral declared war which changes the relationship with with the strict Neutrals to Pro Axis. The game allowed it and the Moderators never spoke up. I think my game wasnt the first time it happened in 39,000 plus games.
    Any rule clarifications would be cool
    Surprise Attack

Sounds like the allies declared war, or the software had a glitch?

• You should call Turkey and Spain Strict Neutrals so there’s less confusion.

• A lot of posters seemed stunned at this scenario, never scene it ever happen or even could happen. Now that I mulled it over last night and looked at the rules and so forth it is very obvious to me why no one has ever scene this scenario. Because the scenario makes no logical sense.

Italy DOW on Russia and moves in 2 tanks into Eastern Poland.
    Russia is now at war with Italy and can DOW on Germany at the start of their next turn, turn 3.
    Germany on Turn 3 does not DOW on Russia and just non combats into Eastern Poland.
    Russia at the start of Turn 3 DOW on Germany and off we go.

There is no logical reason why Russia would not DOW on Germany at the start of Turn 3, none.

Heck you could argue that it makes no logical sense that Germany did not DOW on Russia at the start of G3 since Italy brought Russia into the war and Russia WILL DOW on Germany on R3.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Good point;  Russia is allowed to declare war on Germany because it is at war with one of Germany’s Allies that isn’t Japan.  (if we used Japan in this loophole, it’s war with Russia is treated separately in the global rules).

Right?

This sounds as if it would be utterly cheese-riffic if Russia was not allowed to declare war because the other permitted conditions were not met (its not turn 4, and London is still up.)

I mean, its so broken one would imagine its being used and abused constantly in AAA I just didn’t notice that nuance by looking at other peoples play/situations.

• I have to disagree with the last few posts. Unless Germany is going to take 5 or more IPC’s worth of territories from Russia on turn 3, it makes more sense to not DOW. Germany would get the 5 IPC’s and have a better positioning for a push in any direction in Russia. It’s not just Eastern Poland that they could move into. If Italy wanted, they could move into the Baltic States, followed by Germany, resulting in awesome positioning for Germany on turn 4. They could then expand outwards on turn 4 to grab more IPC’s from Russia effectively making it worth it to DOW if Russia hasn’t. However Russia will inevitably DOW Germany, which is fine because they really couldn’t do anything to Germany, and Germany wouldn’t care because they would be attacking Russia turn 4 anyway. This would also put Italy’s tank in an awesome position on turn 4 because after the German advance (most likely into either the Ukraine or Novgorod) it could move into either Archangel or Rostov. Moving into Archangel would take away 5 IPC bonus from Russia, and moving into Rostov poses a threat to the middle east. Russia could take the Italian tank out the following turn, however this would be detrimental because at that point they would need all of the defensive units they could get. So strategically speaking this new strategy makes sense and I feel as though we will see alot of it.

• @Requester45:

I have to disagree with the last few posts. Unless Germany is going to take 5 or more IPC’s worth of territories from Russia on turn 3, it makes more sense to not DOW. Germany would get the 5 IPC’s and have a better positioning for a push in any direction in Russia. It’s not just Eastern Poland that they could move into. If Italy wanted, they could move into the Baltic States, followed by Germany, resulting in awesome positioning for Germany on turn 4. They could then expand outwards on turn 4 to grab more IPC’s from Russia effectively making it worth it to DOW if Russia hasn’t. However Russia will inevitably DOW Germany, which is fine because they really couldn’t do anything to Germany, and Germany wouldn’t care because they would be attacking Russia turn 4 anyway. This would also put Italy’s tank in an awesome position on turn 4 because after the German advance (most likely into either the Ukraine or Novgorod) it could move into either Archangel or Rostov. Moving into Archangel would take away 5 IPC bonus from Russia, and moving into Rostov poses a threat to the middle east. Russia could take the Italian tank out the following turn, however this would be detrimental because at that point they would need all of the defensive units they could get. So strategically speaking this new strategy makes sense and I feel as though we will see alot of it.

Requester: I think you are confused on this discussion.

The original question was can Italy DOW on Russia, then have German Units move in to Italian controlled territories which would prevent Russia from attacking the Italians because they have German units (who they are not at war with) stacked with them.

That question was already answered that if Italy DOW’s Russia then that frees up Russia to declare war on Germany on their turn.  So, it is a mute point.

What you described is classic Italy “can opening” for Germany. This concept is not new and is used all the time by the German/Italian player.

• @PainState:

@Requester45:

I have to disagree with the last few posts. Unless Germany is going to take 5 or more IPC’s worth of territories from Russia on turn 3, it makes more sense to not DOW. Germany would get the 5 IPC’s and have a better positioning for a push in any direction in Russia. It’s not just Eastern Poland that they could move into. If Italy wanted, they could move into the Baltic States, followed by Germany, resulting in awesome positioning for Germany on turn 4. They could then expand outwards on turn 4 to grab more IPC’s from Russia effectively making it worth it to DOW if Russia hasn’t. However Russia will inevitably DOW Germany, which is fine because they really couldn’t do anything to Germany, and Germany wouldn’t care because they would be attacking Russia turn 4 anyway. This would also put Italy’s tank in an awesome position on turn 4 because after the German advance (most likely into either the Ukraine or Novgorod) it could move into either Archangel or Rostov. Moving into Archangel would take away 5 IPC bonus from Russia, and moving into Rostov poses a threat to the middle east. Russia could take the Italian tank out the following turn, however this would be detrimental because at that point they would need all of the defensive units they could get. So strategically speaking this new strategy makes sense and I feel as though we will see alot of it.

Requester: I think you are confused on this discussion.

The original question was can Italy DOW on Russia, then have German Units move in to Italian controlled territories which would prevent Russia from attacking the Italians because they have German units (who they are not at war with) stacked with them.

That question was already answered that if Italy DOW’s Russia then that frees up Russia to declare war on Germany on their turn.  So, it is a mute point.

What you described is classic Italy “can opening” for Germany. This concept is not new and is used all the time by the German/Italian player.

I’m not sure if you have followed all of my comments, but I am not confused in the slightest. As I had said I think that it makes sense for Germany to not DOW, and collect the bonus IPC’s. I was saying this because someone had said that it was pointless for Germany not to DOW. I said that it makes sense, if you don’t take 5 or more IPC’s worth of territory.

• '17

@PainState:

A lot of posters seemed stunned at this scenario, never scene it ever happen or even could happen. Now that I mulled it over last night and looked at the rules and so forth it is very obvious to me why no one has ever scene this scenario. Because the scenario makes no logical sense.

Russia is now at war with Italy and can DOW on Germany at the start of their next turn, turn 3.
    Germany on Turn 3 does not DOW on Russia and just non combats into Eastern Poland.

There is no logical reason why Russia would not DOW on Germany at the start of Turn 3, none.

Heck you could argue that it makes no logical sense that Germany did not DOW on Russia at the start of G3 since Italy brought Russia into the war and Russia WILL DOW on Germany on R3.

Hi PainState,

From my perspective, if I was planning on doing a G3 Barbarossa AND I wanted to drive towards the south, then yes, it makes sense to not DOW. My stack will all be together, accept for the minimum required mobile units and maybe 1 AAA in Poland so Russia doesn’t attack Poland to get their NO for occupying an Axis territory. But E. Poland will be real strong because all of German air will be there. Also, 5 IPCs is more income than I’d probably get as Germany on the 1st turn.

There are a few disadvantages of course. 1, some other Russian blockers can’t be attacked. 2, the Scandinavian units are behind. But for me that’s ok, I just use them to lay siege anyways. I never expect to get Moscow on turn 6 anymore because I assume that the UK/Anzac and that loan French fighter are going to get to Moscow.

• Funny, that was exactly what happend during our first round of Axis & Allies Europe 1940 2nd edition.  :lol:

• '17

@Ichabod:

@PainState:

A lot of posters seemed stunned at this scenario, never scene it ever happen or even could happen. Now that I mulled it over last night and looked at the rules and so forth it is very obvious to me why no one has ever scene this scenario. Because the scenario makes no logical sense.

Hi PainState,

From my perspective, if I was planning on doing a G3 Barbarossa AND I wanted to drive towards the south, then yes, it makes sense to not DOW. My stack will be together except for the minimum required mobile units and maybe 1 AAA in Poland so Russia doesn’t attack Poland to get their NO for occupying an Axis territory. But E. Poland will be real strong because the German air will be there and maybe bombers will also be in range of a raid on the Moscow factory. Also, 5 IPCs is more income than I’d probably get as Germany on the 1st turn.

There are a few disadvantages of course. 1, Russian blockers can’t be attacked. 2, the Scandinavian units are behind. But for me that’s ok, I just use them to lay siege anyways. I never expect to get Moscow on turn 6 anymore. I assume that the UK/Anzac and that lone French fighter are going to get to Moscow.Â

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m