• North Africa and Great Britain

North Africa.PNG
    British Isles.PNG

• @bgugs:

North Africa and Great Britain

Nice maps.  The Great Britain one, incidentally, should say Wales, not Whales.

• That’s embarrassing, didn’t even notice that. Thank you!

• Been a while since I shared on here due to being busy and not having a lot to share, but here is Germany/Poland/Southern Europe

Germany_Poland.PNG
    Southern Europe.PNG

• @bgugs:

Mr. Tricorder, you said you have used inkscape before. When working on this map it began placing white squares anywhere I attempted to draw. It wasn’t actually placing the blocks there just displaying them. What I mean is it would still draw the color I wanted where I wanted but would display a big white box over where I was attempting to draw until I zoomed either in or out. Because of this I tried to save my work and reopen it and see if that would work. Now when I reopen the file there is nothing there, not the original map or the map plus my edits. Any idea what may have happened?

I’m very sorry. I haven’t visited this thread in a while and didn’t see your question until just now. I haven’t used inkscape in years though, so I don’t know what’s going on there. I have an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription, so I do all my vector-based artwork in Illustrator now. If you’re still having this problem, I would recommend checking out the inkscape support forums.

• Not a problem. I was speaking to panther about the problem when it suddenly fixed itself. So now everything is working great

• This project is not forgotten or given up on. I have made some great progress in the pacific so far. However, due to repeated issues with inkscape and the fact that I have basically had to redo all my work a few times, I am going to look to switch over to adobe programs. Once I have more figured out I will share the progress I have made

• you can also look at Affinity products.
    They have a PS and Illustrator replacement.
    Cheaper and no subscriptions.
    Caveat is they are newish and are not as chrome laden as adobe stuff.
    But for this job, they would work fine.

• This map looks really great! Love to see this progressing

• Robert have you worked with Affinity’s designer program? It seems nice, but since it is new I just want to make sure I am not spending $50 on something that will be riddled with bugs

• I’ve dabbled in Affinity designer and photo. I use Adobe Illustrator now for work but am slowly learning designer as it probably will replace AI in the future. I won’t pay Adobes software ransom demands.

Designer has been going since 2014 so it does have growing pains trying to get on par with Illustrator. ( I won’t say it is riddled with bugs, just not as feature rich as AI )
    Photo on the other hand is a viable PS replacement. (more money in creating a PS app than a vector app)
    That said, it should work fine for most if not all your needs.

Really though, there is no other alternative AI when doing large files/maps.

If you are not in a hurry, check the app store on major holidays as these do go on sale. I think I got mine on the July 4th or Black Friday sale.

Hope this helps.
    Robert

• i use too Illustrator to make a custom map and by my own  opinion, it’s the best software to create large map. After it’s right, it’s not the cheapest software…
    Siredblood is creating his map wth Photoshop, i don’t know how he can do it with a such great result

• the main problem with PS is it isn’t that scalable.
    AI is a vector program which allows it to be scaled at any size without the images becoming bitmapped.
    AI  6 was the last buyable software before the subscription model came into effect.
    It would cost $240 US a year or for me $310 CDN. Bundles would be higher.
    All the new features are not needed, by me, so it is a waste of money.
    Adobe was trying to get more money because not everyone upgraded each time.
    Now they are forced to and pay for it too.

Affinity is a company to watch as they are aggressive and want to replace Adobe as a viable alternative.
    Many designers own both companies software and will drop Adobe at the soonest possible moment.

• @Natneo:

i use too Illustrator to make a custom map and by my own  opinion, it’s the best software to create large map. After it’s right, it’s not the cheapest software…
    Siredblood is creating his map wth Photoshop, i don’t know how he can do it with a such great result

Have you seen Sireblood’s work aside from his map? That guy is freaking talented.

• yes i saw and the map looks very nice ! The war on this map could be epic.

His map is a different style than the original that really stands out.

• I can get a discount on Adobe since I am a student but it is still $240 a year. I mean $20 a month doesn’t sound terrible if I was going to be able to crank this out this cancel my subscription but between classes and work I doubt that will be the case. Affinity seems like it can do what I need as I am certainly a beginner. I just want to make sure its user friendly since I am the worst 21 year old when it comes to technology.

• '17 Customizer

Which rules would you apply to this map?  A&A Global 1940?  HBG Global 1936?

• A&A 1940 plus rules of my own. Never played or read the rules of HBG. For all I now my rules could have some overlap but to my knowledge they are either my own or twisting of things that I have seen on the forums that were concepts that I made/am making into rules

• I really want to figure out which program so I can get this worked out and get to designing and play testing the variant I have in mind. Then I can share more. But I need this map done first

• All vector programs have a learning curve. Best way to learn a program fast is to start an actual project with them.
    Google techniques as needed, not to get an understanding of the program.

It really comes down to ownership and time.
    Adobe is cheaper at first but you will need to keep paying. Add that you will feel you need to use it to get the $20 out of it.
    If later revisions are warranted, you will need to re-subscribe.
    Affinity will be more expensive at first but you own it and can use it whenever you have the time.

Both will do what you want in this case.
    If I was starting out now, I’d use Affinity as it offers the most options for my time. (no having to get it done before the end of the month/subscription)

A lot of the techniques/commands are similar in both programs so switching later isn’t relearning from scratch.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m