Playing in 2017 still, General Strategy/Discussion

• Hey guys, I have noticed that there is very little going on in these boards anymore, and I was hoping to talk some AA 1942. Lets talk about recent games we have played, risky strategies that have paid off, and other relevant topics. For starters, I has hoping to find a solid German strategy for Africa, without sacrificing too much on the eastern front. Is it worth trying to conquer Africa? How long can you hope to hold it before it is futile? If allies go KGF, is it worth it for Japan to try to take Africa? If Japan can shuttle enough troops to Africa, and set up an IC in S. Africa, would it be worth it to do so? Japan making it to Africa would obviously mean they have taken India. Would an IC in South Africa be enought to stall, and/or shut down Atlantic fleets? Just some questions off the top of my head. Anyone visiting without an account should make one, and get in on this!

• We have abandoned that game. Every game went something like this:

G1, build 2 bombers. Force the allies to invest in navy to be able to enter/come close to europe mainland, with the threat of planes and possibly a few "meatshield"subs. Never a german navy, just a sub or two to save the airforce.
    And when the allies have enough navy to come close to europe, then they have spent too much in navy, and your air force simply switch to fighting on land instead with freshly made tanks and awaiting inf. And in general mass tanks, beat russia.

J1. Build 2 factories. J2. Tankstankstanks, beat India and Russia with the help of air forces.  Gather together your navy into one force to protect mainland Japan. This force is big enough to buy Japan a lot(!) of time, and within then your tanks will reign supreme and give you enough income to win against american aggression.

• 2020 2019 2018

Unfortunately, 42 (1st Ed) is caught between a rock and a hard place.
    The game has Revised’s Map/Setup but with Anniversary’s Rule Set (sans China and Italy).

This succeeds at alienating both the “old school” players, who prefer the rule set of Classic/Revised (Transports that can defend themselves, subs that defend on 2, old AA rules, etc.) and the “new school” players, who prefer the larger and more involved maps like 42SE and G40 (and its many variants).

It also doesn’t help that defenseless transports combined with the small scale of the board make the following tasks absurdly difficult:

• Establishing a US/UK Navy in the Atlantic capable of landings any earlier than round 3/4

• Establishing any sort of German Fleet capable of holding Norway/taking UK

• Establishing any sort of meaningful (i.e. capable of threatening the Pacific Islands) Japanese/American Fleet

Not that this doesn’t leave a balanced game (it sort of does, in my opinion anyway), but it severely limits the diversity in strategies that can be employed by both sides.  This leads to the conclusions that Wibe has made about the “optimal” strategies being relatively stale (compared to other versions of the game, anyway.  Even in the fairly static Revised there’s a few variations in strategy available to both sides).

In my opinion, you might be better off going one of four ways:
    1. Keep playing 42 1st Edition.  Don’t let some pessimists on the internet get you down!
    2. Try playing with the Revised setup/rules on the 42 1st Edition Board.  The setups for the games are identical (just swap out
    3. Try buying 42SE (or make the leap to G40).  All the rules (for the most part) are the same as 42 1st Edition with bigger and more detailed maps/setups.
    4. Any combo of 1, 2, 3.  Don’t limit yourself to just one version of A&A!

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys

Users

Topics

1.4m