……

Speed = *

Defense = *

Attacks       Short   Medium   Long
                     0-1      2-4         5-8 
    Soldiers       GZ      19          14
    Vehicles      GZ      21          17Â

Special Abilities =

Ground Zero ( GZ ) - The target hex becomes an impassable crater, surrounded by Hill terrain in the six adjacent hexes. Any units in the Ground Zero area ( 0 - 1 hexes ) are destroyed immediately.

Nuclear Assault - Make a separate dice roll for each unit, Axis and Allies, at medium and long range from the target hex.

Incinerating Heat - This effect occurs at 2 - 4 hexes and ignores cover. If this effect rolls three or more 6’s, the effected unit is destroyed immediately.  Â

Extended Range - Nuclear Assault has a long range of 5 - 24 hexes. At 9 - 20 hexes, roll 11 dice against Soldiers, and 13 dice against Vehicles. At 21 - 24 hexes, roll 4 dice against Soldiers and Vehicles.Â

Suppression - Movement of any kind, at 2 - 24 hexes, is not allowed, for one full turn, from the Allies Assault Phase detonation of the Atomic Bomb.

Allies Preparedness - Allies units at 5 - 24 hexes, receive an additional + 1 for cover in all terrain types. Additionally, Allies units at 25 - 33 hexes, must remain stationary, until the Atomic Bomb is detonated.

Debris - All town hexes, at 2 - 20 hexes, are treated as Hill terrain. Additionally, all road hexes, at 2 - 20 hexes, are negated, and treated as other terrain in the same hex.

Flavor Text - The USA, in 1945, only had enough fissile material to build three Atomic Bombs: The Trinity test bomb, “Little Boy”, and “Fat Man”. 

Rarity = Rare.

Â

• 2007 AAR League

… and how would this make the game interesting?

• It may not make the game interesting. I am glad you had the courage to ask.

The “inspiration” came from a posting about an offensive Japanese army. Someone replied that he would use the Enola Gay bomber to drop an atomic bomb, and throw a thousand dice.

I researched the subject, and discovered how destructive an atomic bomb is. After circa 1960, a 20 kt bomb was considered a tactical weapon.

The area of effect is very much outside the scope of the game; unless you were playing a very large battle with, of course, a very large map area.

The purpose of the posting, is to illustrate how destructive an atomic bomb is, and how little the USA knew about its effects in 1945.

I have, since the posting, devised an alternative range effects, with dice throws, for the “macho-nerds” that may want to use the atomic bomb, in a very large battle.  :evil:

• I say install that A-Bomb thing and anybody who uses it must throw axis and allies miniatures in the trash can and play revised instead.

• Does anyone have a picture of the A-Bomb counter from World in Flames?

• Helllo???

Take your research and put it in the toilet.  Then read a history of what those bombs did to the cities they fell on, and tell me that you would throw just 21 dice at medium range.

Research.  I laugh at you.

And the “A-Bomb” unit wasn’t meant to be anything more than a joke.

• @General:

Helllo???

Take your research and put it in the toilet.  Then read a history of what those bombs did to the cities they fell on, and tell me that you would throw just 21 dice at medium range.

Research.  I laugh at you.

If you’re going to mock a person’s research, it helps to post actual facts and information to counter the argument being made rather than posting schoolyard taunting. Ad for the damage done, I think that the rules and ranges posted would simulate the effects of an A-Bomb, since practivally nothing will live on your game board once this thing is used.

Then again, this whining is coming from the guy who said that jeeps were never used as combat vehicles, so maybe you just need to open a book instead of guessing.

-=Grim=-

• 2007 AAR League

ahahah, i smell ignorance!

Keep it civil guys…

• @General:

Helllo???

You are absolutely correct. The “A-Bomb” unit is just that. A joke.

Which begs a question: If you realized the posting is a joke, then what is the purpose of your rant ?

Which raises another question: What would you have done differently ?

• @Imperious:

I say install that A-Bomb thing and anybody who uses it must throw axis and allies miniatures in the trash can and play revised instead.

Apparently, you didn’t get the joke.

Now, I hope, a lot of players try it just for shits and grins.

• @unc_samurai:

Does anyone have a picture of the A-Bomb counter from World in Flames?

I would recommend making a template for the Ground Zero area, to place on the game map. Nuclear weapons are that destructive.

Thanks for your interest and support.

• Ground Zero ( GZ ) - The target hex becomes an impassable crater, surrounded by Hill terrain in the six adjacent hexes. Any units in the Ground Zero area ( 0 - 1 hexes ) are destroyed immediately.

Pretty accurate for the cratering; the fireball diameter of an airbursted 20 kiloton device (power of Model 1561 Fat Man) is 110 meters or 1 hex.

Nuclear Assault has a long range of 5 - 24 hexes.

Also Accurate.

The distance at which a 20 kiloton device can cause 3rd degree burns from the thermal pulse is 2,346 meters or 23 hexes.

Suppression - Movement of any kind, at 2 - 24 hexes, is not allowed, for one full turn, from the Allies Assault Phase detonation of the Atomic Bomb.

Actually, this is wrong. If an unit is behind a hill relative to ground zero; the hill will protect them from the thermal pulse and airblast; it should be that units not in trenches or behind hills will suffer this suppression.

Additionally, all road hexes, at 2 - 20 hexes, are negated, and treated as other terrain in the same hex.

What’s the reasoning behind this? A road will not be really affected by the initation, unless it is very near ground zero.

Flavor Text - The USA, in 1945, only had enough fissile material to build three Atomic Bombs: The Trinity test bomb, “Little Boy”, and “Fat Man”.

Actually, this is wrong.

We had the fissile material ready for a fourth atomic bomb in the US; after Nagasaki, and when it looked like the japanese wouldn’t surrender; Col. Tibbets got the order from LeMay to go back to the United States and get the Fourth Bomb and bring it to the Marianas.

Three more Fat Man (Model 1561) type Atomic Bombs could have been ready in September of 1945; and by December 1945, the production rate of the Model 1561 would have been seven or more per month.

Little Boy Uranium bombs were harder to produce, another would have been ready before the end of the year.

Fun Fact; If we had invaded the Japanese Home Islands, we’d have used A Bombs in a tactical role against Japanese troops.

Up to nine A-bombs could have been used; three in support of each of the three US Corps assaulting Kyushu, One would be dropped, before the landing, on the stretch of shore assigned to each corps; a second would be targeted on Japanese forces inland from the beaches, and a third would be dropped on enemy reinforcements “that might try to come through the mountains” in northern Kyushu.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m