Anniversary edition reprint announced at Origins?

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

Looking forward to get a copy!  Would be great to have some optional rules like the original MB version to provide more variety to the game

• @General:

@Erocco:

That is great news! I will for sure picking up a copy as I missed last time around. It will be interesting if Italy will have the Global sculpts and each country each own artillery piece.

On that subject will the game use what are now the old AAA rules and thus have generic sculpts since they can be captured?

I would assume so, as it is announced as a reprint based on the given (as per Krieghund updated) ruleset.
    We have to wait for something official about the sculpts, of course.

• '17 '16

@Karl7:

Krieg, tell me they are not going to call it “anniversary,” since the anniversary is long past.

There’s an Anniversary for A&A every year… they can call it 33rd Anniversary Edition for all I care…

@Imperious:

I hope the game will have something new, perhaps in the optional rules. Just a reprint seems like foiling the people who sell it for $500 on ebay and not really a need. Sure a few people who cant pay $500 will be happy, but how many is that?

I’m sure a LOT more than you think… A LOT MORE.

Sometimes people with money to blow have no clue how the rest of the world works. I’m glad you have $500 bucks to blow on a board game… I can assure you, that you sir, are in the minority, not the majority.

There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with reprinting a popular game that is currently out of print… if that ruins someone’s special snowflake status for already owning one, I’m sorry.

• Wolfshanze said it all.

• @P@nther:

@General:

@Erocco:

That is great news! I will for sure picking up a copy as I missed last time around. It will be interesting if Italy will have the Global sculpts and each country each own artillery piece.

On that subject will the game use what are now the old AAA rules and thus have generic sculpts since they can be captured?

I would assume so, as it is announced as a reprint based on the given (as per Krieghund updated) ruleset.
    We have to wait for something official about the sculpts, of course.

Another fairly significant change I just thought of is tanks cost 6 IPC now. AA50 was the last version to have tanks at 5 IPC. Would you guys prefer 5 or 6 IPC’s for AA50?

• I Hated Tanks defending at two, because you would lose the To territory uou
    Just conquered! I would rather pay 6 for a 3/3 unit.

• '17 '16

@Erocco:

Another fairly significant change I just thought of is tanks cost 6 IPC now. AA50 was the last version to have tanks at 5 IPC. Would you guys prefer 5 or 6 IPC’s for AA50?

Personally, I’d love to see 2nd Edition rules applied to Anniversary… though I’m not sure what they’re planning/doing… a reprint with errata alone doesn’t sound like they’re changing anything, but I dunno. We need more info from AH as to what their plans are with Anniversary.

P.S.
    Anniversary would be “my Global”… I can’t see myself ever stepping up to 1940-level time/rules/commitment… but I consider Anniversary to be the end-all-be-all to the 1942-style of A&A gamestyle.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

After poo-pooing the possibility, I am looking forward to the rerelease.  I will buy it.

I hope they do something special… commander units?  That would be awesome!

• '18 '17 '16

@Wolfshanze:

@Erocco:

Personally, I’d love to see 2nd Edition rules applied to Anniversary… though I’m not sure what they’re planning/doing… a reprint with errata alone doesn’t sound like they’re changing anything, but I dunno. We need more info from AH as to what their plans are with Anniversary.

P.S.
    Anniversary would be “my Global”… I can’t see myself ever stepping up to 1940-level time/rules/commitment… but I consider Anniversary to be the end-all-be-all to the 1942-style of A&A gamestyle.

Come on Wolf, grow yourself a pair and step up to a real game. You’ll never go back to the kid’s table once you make the commitment to sit with the adults.

• Sponsor

I bet the only things that change is what that Shelly lady said… the rulebook layout, and a few new sculpts.

• Just caught up on reading this thread and saw the video.  I still can’t find my jaw, it must be rolling around here somewhere……

The lady kept saying how big the map was.  How big is it?  I have never seen this edition in person before.  I usually play A&A G40 2nd Ed. or GW 1936.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Andy, if you play G40 and GW36, you already use the biggest maps. AA50 is smaller than Global. It is the largest of the “'42 style” games though.

• '17 '16

@GeneralHandGrenade:

Come on Wolf, grow yourself a pair and step up to a real game. You’ll never go back to the kid’s table once you make the commitment to sit with the adults.

I’m a single father working full time and raising young kids… I don’t really have the time to commit to something like Global… as it is, I have a hard enough time finding anyone that wants to spend a few hours on 1941 or 1942… I have exactly ZERO volunteers to spend MORE time than they do on 1941/1942.

I have nothing against Global at all… if I had no kids to take care of and people that wanted to play Global, and I dug out a basement out of my Florida sand, I would have a bunker and play Global… the reality is, I have neither the time to commit to Global, nor anyone in the Florida Panhandle who will commit to anything beyond 1942.

I’ll be lucky if after I pick up Anniversary if I can find anyone to spend an extra 10 minutes playing that over 1942.

• TripleA '12

I still own my copy of Anniversary which I bought originally when it first came out. I would love to buy the new version if it came with significant improvements; i.e. larger map (more territories?), 6IPC Tanks, AAA units, advanced technology research, 1940 rules (except for neutrals and Mongolia rules)… what else?

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@ChromiumAgeCollector:

Here is confirmation….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IqynPwXfl4&feature=youtu.be&t=5h21m27s

Wow that girl is annoying. At least get someone who is familiar with the game to ask questions.

• @Lozmoid:

I still own my copy of Anniversary which I bought originally when it first came out. I would love to buy the new version if it came with significant improvements; i.e. larger map (more territories?), 6IPC Tanks, AAA units, advanced technology research, 1940 rules (except for neutrals and Mongolia rules)… what else?

Fortunately, there will be ample room for customizing, as with all A&A games.  The physical map board of any A&A game is arguably the most hard-wired component of any A&A game: unless someone has modified the map by sticking stuff on it (as I did with my Global 1940 map, which has custom roundels), one can look at a particular map board and say, “That’s the board for such-and-such a game.”  The sculpts and other physical components are “soft-wired”, in the sense that one always has the option of importing other pieces from other A&A games as desired, for whatever reason one might have.  (Example: I replaced my Global 1940.2’s non-British UK transport ship and non-Russian USSR aircraft carrier with designs of the correct nationality, which can be found in the 1941 game.)  And the rules are unwired, in the sense that one always has the option of house-ruling a game in ways big or small: it takes artistry and manufacturing / printing infrastructure to create map board and sculpts, but anybody with a word processor could create their own custom rules.  It’s nice, of course, when a game is satisfactory in its OOB state, but players aren’t limited just to what they find in the box.  I sometimes think of the large array of A&A games as a kind of Meccano set that allows hardware and software to be mixed-and-matched in all sorts of interesting ways, depending on personal preferences.

• TripleA '12

Excellent advice CWO Marc, thank you. I am 95% happy with original Anniversary in its OOB state; I merely hope that we find lots of juicy improvements with the reprint! In other words, I am hoping for a new edition! :)

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Krieghund’s comment makes me think they are hesitant to change much. Don’t want to mess with a good thing. Plus more changes = more development cost.

• I wonder if any of Axis roll got any of his Chicago house rules added to new game ?

I believe even this game had bids in it.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

It must be pointed out that the AA50 map is actually SMALLER in terms of number of territories than 1942 2nd.  Malaya doesn’t exist in AA50 and Australia is only 1 territory.  Not to mention North Africa is only 3 terr.  China is a bit larger in AA50, but that is about it.

What made AA50 great was the add ons (tech tokens etc) and the rump state of Italy.  It is a real runt in that game, but fun nonetheless.  Also the 1941 start was awesome.  (The 1942 scenario is/was broken).

The point is that AA50 is more a luxury item as opposed to a necessity.  If you have 1942 2nd, you’ve got pretty close to the same experience.

That’s why they’ve got to put something special in there to make it a hit.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m