3D factories … would there be a market?

• DCC I’m pretty sure you would sell a lot of those standard factories since HBG always seems to be out of them.

• @Der:

DCC I’m pretty sure you would sell a lot of those standard factories since HBG always seems to be out of them.

It is a done deal then :)  Because I can produce them in house, I do not rely on a 3rd party manufacturing process. :)

I had a talk with YG yesterday (way past my bed time cough cough (just teasing YG here)) and he came up with some numbers:

A factory set would be composed of:  15 minor factories and 12 major factories

A Standard factory set (original size) : 15 factories (only the classic model and size)

An airfield/naval base set is a total of 43 (combined, I still have to figure out the break down) … and that one makes me a lil more nervous… that’s a big quantity for 1 set

Statistics:

Factory Set takes 3 hours to print and takes 30 feet of filament

Standard Factory Set  takes 2 hours to print and takes 20 feet of filament.

Airfields/Naval Bases Set takes 5 hours to print and takes 40 feet of filament

Note: In terms of 3D printing, this is actually not bad at all (time & material wise)
            I currently have 2 3D printers, so I think, it would be reasonable to handle the production based on the few people who showed interest.

So now, based on all that information, anyone is going the be the first at throwing numbers? It is by NO MEAN my intention to get rich or even make a living out of that… I already have a full time job and this is a very niche market. But, as everyone will sure understand, I do not want to lose money either (Or being instructed by my wife to now sleep in my gaming room because she gets jealous of the quality time I spend with the 3D printers) :)

As per 7:00 am(EST) this morning, I am printing a Factory Set then will print an Airfield/Naval Base set.

• Addendum:

For anyone interested and having access to a 3D printer, we have made the files available for free download at http://www.cliffsidebunker.com in the “Work” section.

• '14

https://www.shapeways.com/product/P7JFN6N8N/majorfactory-qty-12?optionId=10600458

Just sayin ;) Want your input DCC… is this a high price?

• @wartorn:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/P7JFN6N8N/majorfactory-qty-12?optionId=10600458

Definitely higher then what I had in mind :)  For the full set of minor(15) + major factories(12) I was thinking in the range of $20 …. $19.99 if you UP this post :P  But then again, I want to know what people think.

$25 for the Airfield/Naval Base set (43 miniatures)

$10 for the “classic” factory set (15 factories)

Now, what do you guys think? (and remember, you don’t have to buy from me lol, you can download the files on YG’s website (FREE) and pester a neighbour or family member that has a 3D printer)… If you are really ambitious and don’t mind a divorce, you can buy your own 3D printer and explain to your wife the WHY this is so critical to have one in every household (But I am confident I am cheaper then a divorce lawyer!) :D

• YG, I’m still young and in college. No wife, and little money. But I manage to scrape together money for Axis and Allies when necessary, and this may be necessary

• There you go, full set of glow in the dark factories…

“Glow in the Dark?” you say… “Damn right!” I reply… “Imagine it is friday the 13th, your dog swallow one of your factories… All hell break loose, you have a game on saturday the 14th!!! What to do? What to do?..  Keep calm and Carry on (as the British once said)… Wait until night time, bring the felon pet for a walk until it poops! and Taaaaaaadaaaaaaaaaaaaa… Here is that chimney poking proudly out of the newly deposited, (and probably still warm…ewwww) to scale, Mount Everest of organic matter… There you go fellow… that glow in the dark saved the day! You can proudly walk back home and rest assured that your incoming game will have all it’s pieces…!”

Disclaimer: Ya might want to spic and span that factory before the game… just saying…   The things can be painted so you can bet your butt that dog poop will stick…

Addendum:  “But… DCC… My dog is too small to poop the factory… :(”   DCC: “Well, aren’t you a lucky one! You just got a glow in the dark dog at no extra charge… You are welcome!”

• '14

@bgugs:

YG, I’m still young and in college. No wife, and little money. But I manage to scrape together money for Axis and Allies when necessary, and this may be necessary

Great to see a young college goer playing axis and allies… It really is!!!

• '14

@DiveCrewCanada:

There you go, full set of glow in the dark factories…

“Glow in the Dark?” you say… “Damn right!” I reply… “Imagine it is friday the 13th, your dog swallow one of your factories… All hell break loose, you have a game on saturday the 14th!!! What to do? What to do?..  Keep calm and Carry on (as the British once said)… Wait until night time, bring the felon pet for a walk until it poops! and Taaaaaaadaaaaaaaaaaaaa… Here is that chimney poking proudly out of the newly deposited, (and probably still warm…ewwww) to scale, Mount Everest of brown “organic” matter… There you go fellow… that glow in the dark saved the day! You can proudly walk back home and rest assured that your incoming game will have all it’s pieces…!”

Disclaimer: Ya might want to spic and span that factory before the game… just saying…   The things can be painted so you can bet your butt that dog poop will stick…

Addendum:  “But… DCC… My dog is too small to poop the factory… :(”   DCC: “Well, aren’t you a lucky one! You just got a glow in the dark dog at no extra charge… You are welcome!”

Awesome set DCC!!! Thats not even a competitive price. That is ridiculously low. We the community can not thank you enough!

• @wartorn:

Awesome set DCC!!! Thats not even a competitive price. That is ridiculously low. We the community can not thank you enough!

Awwwww… You are going to make me blush… Did I mention free shipping every February the 30th if Donald Trump didn’t tweet for 72 hours? :D

On a more serious note, shipping will be what shipping cost me, no “handling” fees of hell…

• @DiveCrewCanada:

@wartorn:

Definitely higher then what I had in mind :)  For the full set of minor(15) + major factories(12) I was thinking in the range of $20 …. $19.99 if you UP this post :P  But then again, I want to know what people think.

$25 for the Airfield/Naval Base set (43 miniatures)

$10 for the “classic” factory set (15 factories)

Now, what do you guys think? (and remember, you don’t have to buy from me lol, you can download the files on YG’s website (FREE) and pester a neighbour or family member that has a 3D printer)… If you are really ambitious and don’t mind a divorce, you can buy your own 3D printer and explain to your wife the WHY this is so critical to have one in every household (But I am confident I am cheaper then a divorce lawyer!) :D

DCC these units look great.  And thanks for making the models free for all the players out there.  This community is one of the best out there with everyone sharing there ideas and mod’s, makes all the new people that find it want to share as well.

I just downloaded and will print as soon as I get back from a work trip.  Don’t need to pester anyone, or even pay for a divorce lawyer.  All a 3d Printer cost me was a romantic trip to Florida back in January.  (without the Kids) :-D

Buran

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

DCC, did you come up with a total price for the minor and major factories, and the naval and air bases with shipping?

I would buy a set from you or two.

• put me on the list for a couple of sets (setting up tent and waiting) please let me know my group would go nuts??

• @Buran:

DCC these units look great.  And thanks for making the models free for all the players out there.  This community is one of the best out there with everyone sharing there ideas and mod’s, makes all the new people that find it want to share as well.

I just downloaded and will print as soon as I get back from a work trip.  Don’t need to pester anyone, or even pay for a divorce lawyer.  All a 3d Printer cost me was a romantic trip to Florida back in January.  (without the Kids) :-D

Buran

Glad you like the models and that you have a 3D printer :) So instead of pestering you are being pestered… LOL :D  Enjoy!

• @John:

DCC, did you come up with a total price for the minor and major factories, and the naval and air bases with shipping?

I would buy a set from you or two.

Thank you for your interest sir.  The only variable is the shipping… As my name suggest, I am from Canada (Toronto Area) so it all depends on where it needs to be shipped to… But I can’t see the shipping being very expensive as it is light and small…  If you give me a destination, I can investigate that for you.

• @zack7979:

put me on the list for a couple of sets (setting up tent and waiting) please let me know my group would go nuts??

I am starting some batches this morning, (it is currently 6 am) so I should be able to have a few sets done and ready to ship by monday for those interested.

• Glad to know I’m welcome here. I will be letting you know within the next couple days if I want some. Gotta see how much damage paying for summer classes does first

• Put me down for a set of major/minor facilities &air/naval bases

• I printed some sets over the weekend and decided to change the composition of the sets:

Airfield/Naval: base is now 25 Airfield and 25 Naval bases (total of 50 instead of 43)

Minor/Major Factories: 20 minors / 15 majors (instead of 15/12)

Price remain the same :)

• @Grimwolf:

Put me down for a set of major/minor facilities &air/naval bases

Just send me a PM when you are ready to order :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m