Global 1940 Rulebook - Indexed Edition

• '19 '18 '17

Hi all,

I’m considering devoting some time and energy to developing a consolidated .pdf rule book for Global 1940, which would include detailed indexing for finding and cross-referencing rules.  The idea would be to combine the pertinent parts of the two rulebooks (Pacific and Europe) with the Global rules in an easy to follow sequence.  I intend to develop a paragraph numbering system in order to build an index where you can easily find the rules which are currently tucked away in (sometimes) counter intuitive and hard-to-find places.  Before I go down that rabbit hole, I would like to gauge interest from the group, since I don’t want to expend the effort just for myself.  Anyone think this would be a good idea?

Cheers,
    D

• Heck yea! That would be SUPER useful! Especially for newer players! Country me in! That would cut the time big time from flipping through pages looking for rules!

• @Dajokr:

I’m considering devoting some time and energy to developing a consolidated .pdf rule book for Global 1940, which would include detailed indexing for finding and cross-referencing rules.  The idea would be to combine the pertinent parts of the two rulebooks (Pacific and Europe) with the Global rules in an easy to follow sequence.  I intend to develop a paragraph numbering system in order to build an index where you can easily find the rules which are currently tucked away in (sometimes) counter intuitive and hard-to-find places.  Before I go down that rabbit hole, I would like to gauge interest from the group, since I don’t want to expend the effort just for myself.  Anyone think this would be a good idea?

With all respect for your plan I just want you to point to two threads where this idea has been discussed:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=36001.0

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=38420.0

Just to prevent you from running into possible issues…  :-)

• YES PLEASE! DO IT!

It would be awesome to have.

• '19 '18 '17

@P@nther:

@Dajokr:

I’m considering devoting some time and energy to developing a consolidated .pdf rule book for Global 1940, which would include detailed indexing for finding and cross-referencing rules.  The idea would be to combine the pertinent parts of the two rulebooks (Pacific and Europe) with the Global rules in an easy to follow sequence.  I intend to develop a paragraph numbering system in order to build an index where you can easily find the rules which are currently tucked away in (sometimes) counter intuitive and hard-to-find places.  Before I go down that rabbit hole, I would like to gauge interest from the group, since I don’t want to expend the effort just for myself.  Anyone think this would be a good idea?

With all respect for your plan I just want you to point to two threads where this idea has been discussed:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=36001.0

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=38420.0

Just to prevent you from running into possible issues…  :-)

Thanks for pointing me at those.  I read through them.  The end state I envision is a .pdf document with content combined from both rule books (and errata) and indexed in a detailed and logical manner to enable quick lookups.  In my view, it would be a “customization” of the rule book in the same way that many other customizations are undertaken here.  I think of it as being similar to redoing or enhancing a setup chart, for example, or adding additional markings to a map.

I think I’ll give it a whirl, and we can see how it goes.  It will probably be a few weeks before I can dedicate any real time to it.  More to follow!

• Sponsor

It would be a great customization if done well… I look forward to using it.

Good Luck!

• '17 '16 Customizer

Please do it. I would most definitely use it. Thanks for your willingness to put it together.

• @Dajokr:

@P@nther:

Just to prevent you from running into possible issues…

Thanks for pointing me at those.  I read through them.  The end state I envision is a .pdf document with content combined from both rule books (and errata) and indexed in a detailed and logical manner to enable quick lookups.  In my view, it would be a “customization” of the rule book in the same way that many other customizations are undertaken here.  I think of it as being similar to redoing or enhancing a setup chart, for example, or adding additional markings to a map.

I think that the “possible issues” P@nther was pointing out were the legal issues.  Taking WotC’s copyrighted intellectual property, re-enginnering it, then distributing it to other people (even if it’s at no charge) is potentially inadvisable from a legal point of view.

On the subject of “indexing”, by the way, note that the PDF rulebooks for the A&A games have fully searchable text, which comes in handy when you’re looking for something.

• Sponsor

Instead of “rewriting” or “reorganizing” the Europe and Pacific books into one, I have thought hard about the possible creation of a separate book that would only be reference, index, glossary or an epic “Table of Contents” if you will. The Star Wars Rebellion game has something like this and it’s extremely effective, plus this would be a complete original work which would not alter the copyrighted material, but rather add a whole separate document booklet that compliments the original material.

• @Young:

Instead of “rewriting” or “reorganizing” the Europe and Pacific books into one, I have thought hard about the possible creation of a separate book that would only be reference, index, glossary or an epic “Table of Contents” if you will. The Star Wars Rebellion game has something like this and it’s extremely effective, plus this would be a complete original work which would not alter the copyrighted material, but rather add a whole separate document booklet that compliments the original material.

Yes, that sounds like a good practical solution to the problem, and very useful too.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m