Alternative set-up for 1942?

• Hi,

I recently bought 1942 2nd edition and really like it. I’ve checked the forums and we’ve been using the bidding rules in the past few games which is good. I was looking into different versions of a&a, specifically global and anniversary, so that we could have the option to freshen a&a up a little (not that it’s gotten old already - more variation is just always more enjoyable imo). However, anniversary obviously isn’t in production anymore and any remaining copies are insanely expensive and I don’t want to get global because it’s too big and will take too long to complete.

Anyway, what I do like the sound of, is the feature in anniversary where it comes with 1941 and 1942 set up cards, so that you freshen the game up a little by playing different variations. My question is, has anyone thought of a way of doing this with the 1942 2nd edition? Are there any suggested set up’s to play a 1941 variation using this board and pieces?

Thanks!

• '17 '16

I’m not really sure you can “make Anniversary from 1942.2”… but you can basically make Anniversary more or less from scratch using your 1942 units as a base pool of pieces.

If you really, Really, REALLY want Anniversary, but don’t want to pay the extreme prices one must shell out for it nowadays, the end-around method can be found here on the forum… I know you can download the PDF rules and print them up (that gets you the rules)… you already have most of the units you need to play with, you could just order what you’re missing (Chinese and Italian units for example) from HBG’s website (that gets you the units)… and last but certainly not least, the map… if I’m not mistaken, there’s a downloadable map you can take to the printshop (that gets you the map), and viola!.. instant A&A Anniversary edition without actually buying A&A Anniversary edition.  This method isn’t exactly cheap either, but if I’m not mistaken, its still cheaper than buying Anniversary outright… unless you find someone on E-Bay not realizing what they have, but with something as rare as Anniversary, that’s an unlikely find.

• You can create something like this attachment Pvalerio….

We then play this map with 1942.2 rules.

AA50 non editedable final - smaller.jpg

• '17 '16

Exactly… he can download the PDF rules for Anniversary and print them up, so he’ll have the Anniversary rules… he’s probably already got about 90% of the units he needs from his copy of 1942.2… if he prints the map and the rules, all he needs are Italian and Chinese forces, and he can get those from HBG… viola! a frugal-man’s copy of A&A Anniversary.

• Thanks for all of the responses guys. I suppose I’m not that interested in getting italian & chinese troops, a new map and incorporating the new rules, technology etc. I’m more interested in just having a variation with the map and pieces that I already have. Maybe taking some inspiration from the 1941 anniversary set up, but also from the 1941 base-game, and therefore being able to create a 1941 scenario using the 1942 second edition game. Any suggestions for this?

• Maybe, you can take a look at the 1941 setup from AA50, 1941, and the one Oteza made. Make a setup from that. If you have Triple A, take a look at some 1941 setups and work from there.

• '17 '16

@Pvalerio:

Thanks for all of the responses guys. I suppose I’m not that interested in getting italian & chinese troops, a new map and incorporating the new rules, technology etc. I’m more interested in just having a variation with the map and pieces that I already have. Any suggestions for this?

Well, you seemed super-keen on the Anniversary Edition (but averse to how much this rare gem costs), so I tried to give you a much cheaper version of Anniversary that is very doable now, for less than the cost of Anniversary… however, Anniversary’s map and rules include the nations of Italy and China as separate powers, and since 1942 doesn’t have Italian or Chinese units, that’s why I said you’d want to pick them up from HBG to get the same setup.

Oh well, seems now you just want to redo 1942 into a 1941 setting… as suggested there might be some setups out there for that, but that’s a far cry from Anniversary. You can always scale-back the setup of 1942, but I don’t think it would really feel all that different from what the default setting of 1942 is.  Mostly the Russian front and a couple of Pacific Islands would be a little different… otherwise, it would mostly be the same.  Good luck and hope you find what you seek.  :-D

• '17 '16

@Wolfshanze:

@Pvalerio:

Thanks for all of the responses guys. I suppose I’m not that interested in getting italian & chinese troops, a new map and incorporating the new rules, technology etc. I’m more interested in just having a variation with the map and pieces that I already have. Any suggestions for this?

Well, you seemed super-keen on the Anniversary Edition (but averse to how much this rare gem costs), so I tried to give you a much cheaper version of Anniversary that is very doable now, for less than the cost of Anniversary… however, Anniversary’s map and rules include the nations of Italy and China as separate powers, and since 1942 doesn’t have Italian or Chinese units, that’s why I said you’d want to pick them up from HBG to get the same setup.

Oh well, seems now you just want to redo 1942 into a 1941 setting… as suggested there might be some setups out there for that, but that’s a far cry from Anniversary. You can always scale-back the setup of 1942, but I don’t think it would really feel all that different from what the default setting of 1942 is.  Mostly the Russian front and a couple of Pacific Islands would be a little different… otherwise, it would mostly be the same.  Good luck and hope you find what you seek.  :-D

It gave me the idea to change the 1942.2 setup by simply using the AA50 1941 set up.
    I made it in two hours. So no big deal.

You get all the same number of ground and naval units on the map.
    The only change is about a few units which were placed in same region but not same TTy simply because there was none on 1942.2 map.

I hope you will like it.
    And give me some feedback please.

AA50 order of play was:
    1941 Scenario
    1. Germany
    2. Soviet Union
    3. Japan
    4. United Kingdom
    5. Italy
    6. United States

Maybe you can simply start with Germany and finishing with Russia, keeping the same order as OOB:
    1941 Scenario for 1942.2, same order
    1. Germany
    2. United Kingdom
    3. Japan
    4. United States
    5. Soviet Union

Or, if Japan cannot stand is own in Pacific, then use this order:
    1941 Scenario same order than AA50
    1. Germany
    2. Soviet Union
    3. Japan
    4. United Kingdom
    5. United States

Have fun,
    Baron

Soviet Union Starting income: 32 (24+ 8 ) IPCs

Russia: 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AAA, 1 Tank, Industrial Complex
    Karelia S.S.R.: 5 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AAA, Industrial Complex
    Archangel: 2 Infantry
    Novosibirsk: 2 Infantry
    Caucasus: 4 Infantry, 1 AAA, Industrial Complex
    Kazakh S.S.R.: 2 Infantry
    Evenki National Okrug: 1 Infantry
    Yakut S.S.R.: 3 Infantry
    Buryatia S.S.R.: 3 Infantry
    Soviet Far East: 2 Infantry
    Baltic States: 3 Infantry (Russian)
    Ukraine S.S.R.: 3 Infantry (Russian)
    Belorussia: 2 Infantry (Russian)
    West Russia: 2 Infantry (Russian)

Naval Setup:
    Sea Zone 4: 1 Submarine

United Kingdom Starting income: 43 (31+ 12) IPCs
    United Kingdom: 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AAA, 1 Tank, 2 Fighters, 1 Bomber, Industrial Complex
    Eastern Canada: 1 Tank
    Egypt: 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter
    Union of South Africa: 2 Infantry
    Trans Jordan: 2 Infantry
    India: 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AAA
    Burma: 1 Infantry
    Eastern Australia: 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AAA
    Western Australia: 1 Infantry
    Western Canada: 1 Infantry
    New Zealand:
    Persia:
    Kwangtung: 1 Infantry (United Kingdom)
    Malaya: (United Kingdom)
    East Indies: (United Kingdom)
    Borneo: (United Kingdom)
    New Guinea: (United Kingdom)
    Solomon Islands: (United Kingdom)

Naval Setup:
    Sea Zone 6: 1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 7: 1 Battleship, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 10: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 13: 1 Cruiser, 1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 35: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 39: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport

United States Starting income: 45 (42+ 3) IPCs

Eastern United States: 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AAA, 1 Fighter, 1 Bomber, Industrial Complex
    Central United States: 1 Infantry
    Alaska: 1 Infantry
    Western United States: 1 Infantry, 1 AAA, 1 Fighter, 1 Bomber, IC
    Midway: 1 Infantry
    Hawaiian Islands: 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Yunnan: 1 Infantry
    Szechwan: 2 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Anhwei: 1 Infantry
    Wake Island: 1 Infantry (United States)
    Philippine Islands: 2 Infantry (United States)

Naval Setup:
    Sea Zone 11: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 42: 1 Aircraft Carrier with 1 Fighter, 1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 48: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 53: 1 Battleship
    Sea Zone 56: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport

Germany Starting income: 33 (41- 8 ) IPCs

Germany: 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AAA, 2 Tanks, 1 Fighter, 1 Bomber, IC
    France: 2 Infantry, 1 Tank
    Northwestern Europe: 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Norway: 2 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Finland: 2 Infantry
    Poland: 4 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 2 Tanks, 1 Fighter
    Bulgaria Romania: 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 2 Tanks
    Italy: 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AAA, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter, IC
    Southern Europe: 2 Infantry, 1 Tank
    Morocco: 1 Infantry
    Libya: 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank
    Algeria:

Naval Setup:
    Sea Zone 5: 1 Cruiser, 1 Submarine, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 8: 2 Submarines
    Sea Zone 14: 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 15: 1 Battleship, 2 Cruisers, 1 Transport

Japan        Starting income: 15 (30 - 15) IPCs

Japan: 4 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AAA, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter, IC
    Manchuria: 3 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Kiangsu: 3 Infantry
    Iwo Jima: 1 Infantry
    Okinawa: 1 Infantry
    Caroline Islands: 3 Infantry
    Formosa: 1 Fighter
    French Indo-China Thailand: 2 Infantry

Naval Setup:
    Sea Zone 57: 2 Aircraft Carriers, 4 Fighters
    Sea Zone 50: 1 Destroyer, 2 Transports
    Sea Zone 60: 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 61: 1 Aircraft Carrier with 2 Fighters, 1 Battleship, 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport with 1 Infantry & 1 Artillery, 1 Transport with 2 Infantry

Baron Munchhausen alternate set-up charts for 1942 2ndEd_based on 1941_AA50.doc

• '17 '16

Your thread have been moved in Houserules forum. I hope you will still find it here.

• @Wolfshanze:

@Pvalerio:

Oh well, seems now you just want to redo 1942 into a 1941 setting… as suggested there might be some setups out there for that, but that’s a far cry from Anniversary. You can always scale-back the setup of 1942, but I don’t think it would really feel all that different from what the default setting of 1942 is.  Mostly the Russian front and a couple of Pacific Islands would be a little different… otherwise, it would mostly be the same.  Good luck and hope you find what you seek.  :-D

Yeah you might be right, it might be too similar. But Baron Munchhausen’s post below looks pretty interesting! I thought something like he’s done there would create enough of a different set up to make things interesting. Thanks for the help as well, I didn’t want to seem ungrateful or anything.

• @Baron:

@Wolfshanze:

@Pvalerio:

Oh well, seems now you just want to redo 1942 into a 1941 setting… as suggested there might be some setups out there for that, but that’s a far cry from Anniversary. You can always scale-back the setup of 1942, but I don’t think it would really feel all that different from what the default setting of 1942 is.  Mostly the Russian front and a couple of Pacific Islands would be a little different… otherwise, it would mostly be the same.  Good luck and hope you find what you seek.  :-D

It gave me the idea to change the 1942.2 setup by simply using the AA50 1941 set up.
    I made it in two hours. So no big deal.

You get all the same number of ground and naval units on the map.
    The only change is about a few units which were placed in same region but not same TTy simply because there was none on 1942.2 map.

I hope you will like it.
    And give me some feedback please.

AA50 order of play was:
    1941 Scenario
    1. Germany
    2. Soviet Union
    3. Japan
    4. United Kingdom
    5. Italy
    6. United States

Maybe you can simply start with Germany and finishing with Russia, keeping the same order as OOB:
    1941 Scenario for 1942.2, same order
    1. Germany
    2. United Kingdom
    3. Japan
    4. United States
    5. Soviet Union

Or, if Japan cannot stand is own in Pacific, then use this order:
    1941 Scenario same order than AA50
    1. Germany
    2. Soviet Union
    3. Japan
    4. United Kingdom
    5. United States

Have fun,
    Baron

Soviet Union Starting income: 32 (24+ 8 ) IPCs

Russia: 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AAA, 1 Tank, Industrial Complex
    Karelia S.S.R.: 5 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AAA, Industrial Complex
    Archangel: 2 Infantry
    Novosibirsk: 2 Infantry
    Caucasus: 4 Infantry, 1 AAA, Industrial Complex
    Kazakh S.S.R.: 2 Infantry
    Evenki National Okrug: 1 Infantry
    Yakut S.S.R.: 3 Infantry
    Buryatia S.S.R.: 3 Infantry
    Soviet Far East: 2 Infantry

Naval Setup:
    Sea Zone 4: 1 Submarine

United Kingdom Starting income: 42 (31+ 11) IPCs
    United Kingdom: 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AAA, 1 Tank, 2 Fighters, 1 Bomber, Industrial Complex
    Eastern Canada: 1 Tank
    Egypt: 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter
    Union of South Africa: 2 Infantry
    Trans Jordan: 2 Infantry
    India: 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AAA
    Burma: 1 Infantry
    Eastern Australia: 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AAA
    Western Australia: 1 Infantry
    Western Canada: 1 Infantry
    New Zealand:
    Persia:
    Kwangtung: 1 Infantry (United Kingdom)

Naval Setup:
    Sea Zone 6: 1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 7: 1 Battleship, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 10: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 13: 1 Cruiser, 1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 35: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 39: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport

United States Starting income: 45 (42+ 3) IPCs

Eastern United States: 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AAA, 1 Fighter, 1 Bomber, Industrial Complex
    Central United States: 1 Infantry
    Alaska: 1 Infantry
    Western United States: 1 Infantry, 1 AAA, 1 Fighter, 1 Bomber, IC
    Midway: 1 Infantry
    Hawaiian Islands: 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Yunnan: 1 Infantry
    Szechwan: 2 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Anhwei: 1 Infantry
    Philippine Islands: 2 Infantry (United States)

Naval Setup:
    Sea Zone 11: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 42: 1 Aircraft Carrier with 1 Fighter, 1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 48: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 53: 1 Battleship
    Sea Zone 56: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport

Germany Starting income: 33 (41- 8 ) IPCs

Germany: 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AAA, 2 Tanks, 1 Fighter, 1 Bomber, IC
    France: 2 Infantry, 1 Tank
    Northwestern Europe: 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Norway: 2 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Finland: 2 Infantry
    Poland: 4 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 2 Tanks, 1 Fighter
    Bulgaria Romania: 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 2 Tanks
    Italy: 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AAA, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter, IC
    Southern Europe: 2 Infantry, 1 Tank
    Morocco: 1 Infantry
    Libya: 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank
    Algeria:

Naval Setup:
    Sea Zone 5: 1 Cruiser, 1 Submarine, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 8: 2 Submarines
    Sea Zone 14: 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 15: 1 Battleship, 2 Cruisers, 1 Transport

Japan        Starting income: 16 (30 - 14) IPCs

Japan: 4 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AAA, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter, IC
    Manchuria: 3 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Kiangsu: 3 Infantry
    Iwo Jima: 1 Infantry
    Okinawa: 1 Infantry
    Caroline Islands: 3 Infantry
    Formosa: 1 Fighter
    French Indo-China Thailand: 2 Infantry
    Malaya: 1 Infantry

Naval Setup:
    Sea Zone 57: 2 Aircraft Carriers, 4 Fighters
    Sea Zone 50: 1 Destroyer, 2 Transports
    Sea Zone 60: 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 61: 1 Aircraft Carrier with 2 Fighters, 1 Battleship, 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport with 1 Infantry & 1 Artillery, 1 Transport with 2 Infantry

This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Thanks very much, I’m going to try this out and will provide feedback once it’s done. Especially helpful is all the formatting you’ve done and the fact that you’ve included the set up cards for 1941 and for AA50.

Quick question, are there any territories controlled by other powers in the 1941 variation (which are ordinarily controlled by other powers in 1942) which don’t have units in?

Thanks.

• '17 '16

Thanks,
    I’m happy you like it.
    I don’t think there is other difference between AA50 1941 and 1942.2 1941 settings.
    Maybe 1941 is different, but I don’t think so.
    I will have to check on my Triple V6 if something is different.
    I really enjoyed making this special file.
    When I get more time, I will put this setup in a regular 1942.2 v5 Triple A saved game.

• '17 '16

Quick question, are there any territories controlled by other powers in the 1941 variation (which are ordinarily controlled by other powers in 1942) which don’t have units in?

There are these ones, which are empty but belongs to UK in 1941 and AA50 and Japan in 1942.2:

In 1941 set up (WWII version 6), these 2 territories are considered German’s control:
    Ukraine S.S.R.: 3 Infantry, 2 Tanks
    West Russia: 3 Infantry

This one is totally Japan controlled, includes Hong Kong which cannot be until Pearl Harbour attack (little anachronism here, for the sake of simplifying map):
    Coastal China: 2 Infantry (Japan)

It means this starting set-up is late 1941, just before launching Pearl Harbour attack (since 1 US Battleship is in Hawaiian SZ).

It is different of AA50 1941 which is around late spring, just before launching Operation Barbarossa on June 22nd 1941:

Also, Malaya is part of French Indo-China Thailand in AA50 1941 and South-East Asia in 1941, but it is a TT on 1942.2 map:
    Malaya: 1 Infantry (Japan)

However, it was not capture until February 1942. So, a correct 1941 setting on 1942.2 should not make it Japan.
    I wrongly put an Infantry unit on that TT.

It should have been part of UK : Starting income: 31+ 12 IPCs / Japan: Starting income: 30 - 15 IPCs
    Malaya: (United Kingdom)
    French Indo-China Thailand: 2 Infantry 3 Infantry

I will correct the file and edit post.

Aside from 2 US TTs in AA50 1941 which are Japanese on 1942.2 map:

Philippine Islands: 2 Infantry (United States) + Sea Zone 56: 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport

Every other TTs are owned by the same power in both AA50 1941, 1941 and 1942.2.

• '17 '16

Just in case. I made a saved game of this setup for TripleA 1942.2, WWII V5.
    There is 2 ICs in China, it needs to be Player enforced so you can only produce Infantry on it. This is to simulate Chinese militia build up from AA50.

So, you can make a few Triple A playtests before playing table top.

1941AA50_SETUP_WW2V5_Russia1.tsvg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m