• That sounds reasonable.

One thing MB has going for it is viable Weapons Development.  I remember thinking this was really cool when I first played in 1990, and the game just doesn’t feel whole without it…

Weapons Development is good in MB’s A&A.  Especially late game when the board gets a bit stalemate-ish and progress slows right down.  Even better if you use the optional rule that Japan starts with Super Subs, that’s one extra shot at HBs or IT.

1941 & 1942 have no Weapons development at all.  Global Weapons Development is terrible - without Research Tokens it’s just a poor investment considering how useless the nerfed HB upgrade is.

AA50 was the last game to have Weapons Development worth spending IPCs on (although the HB nerf was a big hit).

Weapons Development aside, I’m sure you are dead on.
    All this talk is sure getting me antsy to throw some dice!

• '16

@zooooma:

What I want even more than the games I’m still missing is more FMG WWII dice.  I ordered some years ago, but they were so poorly stocked I could only get Germany, Italy, France, and China.

IWNGU sells FMG stuff now.

They do sell sets of each nation dice, but it seems like they don’t have USSR, USA, UK and ANZAC in stock :\

But they also sell entire sets of all 54 dice:
    http://iwillnevergrowup.com/shop/fmg_dice

• @ch0senfktard:

But they also sell entire sets of all 54 dice:

That’s 33% made up of dice I already have.  Also, no Canada?  :-P

• '17 '16

@zooooma:

1941 & 1942 have no Weapons development at all. Global Weapons Development is terrible

Well you might be dead-on there, but do remember this…. Weapons Development is quite possibly one of the easiest things to “house-rule-in” into either 1941 or 1942 (and many in the Global community have altered their Weapons research with house rules and custom cards).

If you’re a fan of the AA50 weapons development, it wouldn’t be very hard to house rule that into 1941 or 1942.

• @Wolfshanze:

If you’re a fan of the AA50 weapons development, it wouldn’t be very hard to house rule that into 1941 or 1942.

I might go as far as to not update my FAQ for A50 (HB nerf), and to not update my Global map (Western Canada).

House rules can get messy, though.  Plus I like to think playing at home prepares me for tournament play (in case I ever play another tournament).

• '17 '16

@zooooma:

House rules can get messy, though.

Only if you choose to make them messy… 99.9% of my games are played in my home… so our house rules ARE the rules of the game. As for people who visit who don’t want/agree to houserules or for tournament play… duh, you play without the houserules… not sure how you make a mess out of something you have complete and total control of.

Using houserules isn’t messy at all… if it’s messy, it’s because you created a mess to begin with.

• @Wolfshanze:

Using houserules isn’t messy at all… if it’s messy, it’s because you created a mess to begin with.

Suppose I have an idea for a house rule.  It’s elegant and tidy and I’ve done my best to not create a rule with drastic effects .  I suggest this rule.  My friend ponders (briefly) and counters with a hastily modified version of my rule - not necessarily clean and definitely not well thought out in terms of game play.  Messy.

I can’t expect people to willingly play my house rules unless I do the same with their house rules.  I’ve played with people who want to make house rules purely for the sake of constantly mixing the game up.  I played with another group who had a plethora of house rules based on what they thought was realistic despite almost all of these rules being a big help to the Allies in a game that grossly favoured the Allies already (MB).

I don’t create such messes, but I do avoid them by trying to keep the floodgates closed.

That said, A&A edition rules cross-over is pretty mild.  I’m sort of tempted to play AA50 with AAAs and SBR rules from Global or 1942.

• '17 '16

I really think you’re overthinking houserules… use em or not… it’s only a mess if you want it to be. If there’s ever a disagreement amongst friends, you just stick to official rules.

• Earlier in the thread read that 42.2 plays in under 5 hours. That is cool to hear.  We play Global 40 2nd all the time. Fast games in 5 hours or all day for the win sometimes.  Might have to check out the smaller/faster board.

• '17 '16

@ShrimpBoatChef:

Earlier in the thread read that 42.2 plays in under 5 hours. That is cool to hear.  We play Global 40 2nd all the time. Fast games in 5 hours or all day for the win sometimes.  Might have to check out the smaller/faster board.

Ya… I’d put 1941 at about 3 hours playtime, and 4-to-5 sounds about right for 1942.2 (depending on the experience of the players).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m