• @Luftwaffles41 said in UK Strategy -"Middle Earth":

@Cornwallis

Either 1 of 2 things will happen. America captures Berlin or the Soviets capture it.

turn 15 ?:p

• @Cornwallis

Maybe, as I said it generally depends on how much German resistance there is in France, and if Germany is put in a 2 front war well, we’ve already seen how that ends so can we really take a big guess about what’ll happen in-game?

• Well for the least I can say I really am enjoying this but I think we’ve reached bedrock at this point so there’s no reason to dig further. If you wanna start another thread I’ll join you

• @Luftwaffles41 Yes or by email? Where are you from btw?

• @Cornwallis

The United States. Just toss me the link to the thread and I’ll cover any of your questions or strategies you have.

• @Argothair

Hey, just wanted to update you on a game I just did with a buddy of mine where I tested Afrika Korps and the J1 attack.

I didn’t get to calcutta before the game ended unfortunately but I did conquer the money islands and China and he didn’t fall for the trap so that kinda hurt me in the long run.

But Afrika Korps, that went smoothly. Got troops down into Africa and protected the Italian fleet until it finally built up and together Germany and Italy conquered Egypt right in time for the U.S to show up so that they could turn their navies around to protect Gibraltar.

Germany captured the oilfields of the middle east and got all 3 of their 2 IPC national objectives for it and placed a minor complex on Persia.

The part that I was astounded by was how well Barborossa went. As GHG states, Afrika Korps doesn’t work because it takes too much away from your Barborossa attack which I thought was true but that wasn’t the case. (btw for clarification my buddy did the Russian Counter-Attack strategy against me, and it didn’t go well)

By turn 2 after he counter attacked my army in Bessarabia and advanced his forced from Leningrad into Baltic States I destroyed 10 of his tanks on G2. By the end of the game I had over 20 infantry, 17 tanks, and 14 mech infantry standing in the Kremlin and Stalingrad.

What shocked me the most was just by 1 battle in Bessarabia that happened after he counter-attacked and it sent him fleeing the ENTIRE southern portion of the Soviet Union, which need I remind has twice the amount of money the Northern portion has. I had little resistance moving into the south because he had to retreat his forces all the way to Stalingrad and he’s going to have to pull them back to Moscow as well.

I’m making 90+ IPC’s every turn as Germany, and have 2 more victory cities to go, and am just deciding to do Sealion since it’s turn 6 because what the hell I have 90 IPC’s in the banks.

So that’s the basis of what happened, an incredibly successful Afrika Korps especially with the J1 attack in play, though I didn’t conquer Sub Saharan Africa, I didn’t really need to. I got Italy to fullfill it’s purpose to conquer the Med and Germany had a beautiful Barborossa attack.

Let me know what your thoughts are so I can make this better and possibly find a counter to it.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Hey Luftwaffles, glad you’re having fun with these strategies. It’s hard for me to comment in depth because I’m not sure I follow the details of what you’re calling the “Afrika Korps” strategy or the “Russian Counter-Attack” strategy. I don’t have every single opening memorized; I’m mostly just here to preach the joy and power of the Persia factory and the South African shuck-shuck. If you want me to see exactly what happened, you’ll have to either attach a save game file or go into much more detail.

That said, you wrote that you destroyed 10 Soviet tanks on G2, which sounds impossible – Russia only starts with 2 tanks and 2 mechs. Even if they build 3 more tanks in Leningrad (which is foolish), that’s still only 5 tanks you could possibly destroy, and realistically, you wouldn’t be able to reach all of them. Even destroying 10 tanks on G3 sounds like it would require both players to actively cooperate to achieve that goal! The Soviet Union shouldn’t have 10 tanks at the end of R2 in Global; if they do, then the Soviet player has screwed up badly. So I think that’s probably a large part of why your game went the way it did – if the Soviet player is that incompetent (or if you’re using some kind of alternate setup rules), then it doesn’t matter too much what happens in Egypt or Wake Island; the game will be decided, as yours was, in eastern Europe.

• @Argothair

I apologize it was not G2 my bad I actually meant the second turn to which Barborossa began… I commensed with operation Barborossa on G3 and on G4 I destroyed 10 of the Soviet Tanks that’s my bad sorry shoulda clarrified.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

OK – that makes a lot more sense, but it’s still piss-poor Russian tactics, in my opinion. If you’re leaving 10 Russian tanks sitting around in range of the main German stack on G4, then you’re handing the Axis the game on a silver platter. It’s fine to build some tanks as Russia; I think we discussed this either a few pages back or on another thread. But the tanks are there as a deterrent, to stop Germany from advancing too quickly or from leaving important stacks too weakly defended. You can’t just throw your tanks at Germany for the hell of it like some kind of berserker and expect it to go well.

• @Argothair

Exactly, hence why the Russian-Counter Attack strategy really doesn’t work. All I have to do as Germany is let the Soviet’s tire themselves out. I can replace my losses. They can’t. Some of his tanks he couldn’t move back since they moved 2 and others he didn’t move back for some reason idk why but regardless the counter attack strategy doesn’t work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq17jkmkuHc this right here is General Hand Grenade’s strategy for Russia, it doesn’t work. Russia doesn’t have the resources to step away from it’s supply line to go on the offensive against the 3rd Reich.

• @Argothair

For the most part it was kind of just a playtest since he did the Taranto Raid as well with both strategies being put into the ditch after Afrika Korps. (btw to simplify things, all Afrika Korps is is Germany taking 3 transports, a BB, CV, Cruiser and Sub to the Med to protect the Italian fleet until it can protect itself, then conquer the ME and Egypt and win the game and sit on the throne on the doorstep to Moscow

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

how did an allied thread turn into a triumphalist axis thread?

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@crockett36 a dissembling digression of inferences based on speculative anecdotes from a variety of players of different skill levels with wildly varying opponents on different platforms.

as we do

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

you forgot the unspoken preference of most axis and allies players to play Germany and Japan. Hmm? woonder why?

• @taamvan Well crafted sentence. You should start a thread with that title. It most elegantly and adroitly expresses the need for a handicapping system.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

So why did me fail?

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

me means middle earth?

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@crockett36 Because I got shamefully sealioned as I’ve sealioned myself so many times before;

Germany buy 2 SB save 6
    Kill SZ 91 CA first strking
    Take Yugo outright no strafe
    (play read; Stratbombing then SL)

1. Buy UK 1 8 inf 1 mech (mech went to SA)
      Do Taranto all in, Gib fighter to kill DD
      DD kills fighter Italy keeps 2 trans
      TT goes to africa with tank in anticipation of heading to Africa
      TT goes S empty
      Scotland fighter helps DD kill sub that lived in SZ 91 and is stuck in FWA

2. Germany gets ready to annhilate me and bombs me out without reply I repair 15 and buy 4 inf 1 fighter my chance of survivng the first round is like 10% and he has another wave ready as always…

G3 me = noob after so many games following a canned plan made by another noob

UK 3 noob = loses

UK has to do pat buys, it cannot do anything flexible, and it probably shouldnt send everything to Taranto, risking a backfire as the gentleman here was speaking about just this week as I was preparing.

• @taamvan I usually send 2 units to the Malta sea zone battle on UK1 (eg. DD + fighter, or CA + fighter), to make darn sure to kill the second transport. Killing Italian surface boats is nice, but the transports are a higher priority on turn 1, so I wouldn’t split the UK forces in the Med so drastically as to put 9 units on Taranto and 1 on Malta. An 8/2 split makes more sense.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@Argothair Its good to hear from you again brother.

I know how to allocate the battle. I lost the SZ 91 CA. I was just blathering on to a new player in this thread about how you should never undercut Taranto because you risk a scramble. I did that and kept my CV, 1 Fighter, 1 CA. He snaked the plane stack in Syria (GHG suggests Trans J) w his 2 TTs AND he swacked my ships. Easily.

However, if you read my playout, none of that mattered–I was missing 1 inf 1 tank from Canada I ambitiously sent south.
    I was missing the DD blocker
    I put 1 mech in SA
    AND
    Everything went to Taranto

and that is a 100% idiot move because if you don’t protect UK with all you can on turns 1-2 (assuming Ger has flex power/$ and units) he can attack you with 2 waves and has a high chance of victory. Especially if you are a noob like me and send anything anywhere else and listen to people on the internet.

This is why ME doesnt work–you can’t follow all those dealpoints and get UK power south unless GER does something obvious w his starting power/$.

Some of the basic concepts might be preserved like the SA shuck, the Iraq UK 1 take, the NB on Persia but IDK, its just like I said in 2017 if you dont watch what Germany does and play on rails you will be snaked.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m