• @Cornwallis

and frankly id welcome the U.S bombers, if they aren’t building surface warships every turn in the Atlantic then they’re only delaying themselves for every turn to get to the Med and into Europe.

• @Luftwaffles41 said in UK Strategy -"Middle Earth":

@Cornwallis

I’ve found that the U.S tends to lose the majority of those bombers, especially when the Germans and italians are capable of scrambling. Very inefficient in my opinion.

they can for exemple kill the German fleet after a Sealion (as GHG states in his london calling). Or eventually attack a new italian fleet (after a taranto). if they buy 4 then US has 5 bombers, that can pack a well chosen punch. And if you lose them but wreck some damage then it’s is worth it i think. But they are indeed vulnerable to bad dice.

• @Cornwallis

No, 60+ at the bottom of the Med is not something the Americans can afford to lose. If they lose it then its something they won’t be able to rebuild in time to stop the Axis powers

@Cornwallis

No, 60+ at the bottom of the Med is not something the Americans can afford to lose. If they lose it then its something they won’t be able to rebuild in time to stop the Axis powers

Throwing it away is not a good thing but if they can take a full loaded carrier or the italian navy with it, then why not. It’s like you said, Allies have the lead in IPC so losing more than you kill is not that bad.

Plus, the threat bombers pose is volatile:
    in europe they can attack a fleet, or strat bomb. They can move very quickly to pacific to attack a portion of the japanse fleet or strat bomb the factories.
    It also hides the intentions of going for germany or japan.
    I must say i have never tried it, but my friends and i have been debating the pro’s and con’s of it.

• @Cornwallis

You’re not wrong, with the U.S always for the most part gaining 70+ IPC’s it wouldn’t be a bad thing to lose it, however there’s always a catch to these sorts of things. If the U.S had unlimited time then hell build all the bombers you want and send em to Europe or the Med, but the Americans dont have a lot of time, and it especially doesn’t make it any better if they lollygag about when setting up the Floating Bridge. 6 turns it takes to get guys into France and set it all up, if they aren’t there by the latest of turn 8 then the Axis have won the game.

@Cornwallis

You’re not wrong, with the U.S always for the most part gaining 70+ IPC’s it wouldn’t be a bad thing to lose it, however there’s always a catch to these sorts of things. If the U.S had unlimited time then hell build all the bombers you want and send em to Europe or the Med, but the Americans dont have a lot of time, and it especially doesn’t make it any better if they lollygag about when setting up the Floating Bridge. 6 turns it takes to get guys into France and set it all up, if they aren’t they by the latest of turn 8 then the Axis have won the game.

That’s true, it is a race against time. We thought sending the bombers asap will allow you to damage very early in the game, hopefully slowing the axis down.
    You prefer KGF or KJF?

• @Cornwallis

KGF. I’m not too concerned about Japan considering the idea that they are pretty much in the boxing ring beating the living s*** outta ANZAC and India and China. But the thing is they can’t leave that ring. Germany however is a wolf in a flock of sheep. Germany has the ability to win the game without fighting the Americans. 8 victory cities. Berlin, Rome, Warsaw, Paris, Cairo, Stalingrad, Leningrad, and Moscow. And they will do it at the cost of not even worrying about attacking London or Washington D.C.

@Cornwallis

KGF. I’m not too concerned about Japan considering the idea that they are pretty much in the boxing ring beating the living s*** outta ANZAC and India and China. But the thing is they can’t leave that ring. Germany however is a wolf in a flock of sheep. Germany has the ability to win the game without fighting the Americans. 8 victory cities. Berlin, Rome, Warsaw, Paris, Cairo, Stalingrad, Leningrad, and Moscow. And they will do it at the cost of not even worrying about attacking London or Washington D.C.

Check. So the first 2-3 turns you buy 100% Atlantic?
    And from what turn do you start building in Pacific?

• @Cornwallis

Not necessarily. Turn 1, I buy 2 aircraft carriers and a battleship. I’ll obviously have enough to fill both carriers up with the fighters I already start with. I place 1 AC in the Atlantic and 1 in the Pacific and the Battleship in the Atlantic.

• @Cornwallis

By Turn 2 I’ll build 2 transports and some more ships for the Atlantic and maybe 2 subs for the Pacific. And then turn 3 I buy 1 transport for the Atlantic and by turn 4 I’m ready to take 8 guys into Morocco and/or Gibraltar.

@Cornwallis

By Turn 2 I’ll build 2 transports and some more ships for the Atlantic and maybe 2 subs for the Pacific. And then turn 3 I buy 1 transport for the Atlantic and by turn 4 I’m ready to take 8 guys into Morocco and/or Gibraltar.

You upgrade that to a 5 transport chuck?

• @Cornwallis

I usually start with 4 lanes. 5 if I’m experiencing heavy resistance from the Germans and Italians.

@Cornwallis

I usually start with 4 lanes. 5 if I’m experiencing heavy resistance from the Germans and Italians.

do the games you win then end in a stalemate or do you capture berlin?

• @Cornwallis

Either 1 of 2 things will happen. America captures Berlin or the Soviets capture it.

@Cornwallis

Either 1 of 2 things will happen. America captures Berlin or the Soviets capture it.

turn 15 ?:p

• @Cornwallis

Maybe, as I said it generally depends on how much German resistance there is in France, and if Germany is put in a 2 front war well, we’ve already seen how that ends so can we really take a big guess about what’ll happen in-game?

• Well for the least I can say I really am enjoying this but I think we’ve reached bedrock at this point so there’s no reason to dig further. If you wanna start another thread I’ll join you

• @Luftwaffles41 Yes or by email? Where are you from btw?

• @Cornwallis

The United States. Just toss me the link to the thread and I’ll cover any of your questions or strategies you have.

• @Argothair

Hey, just wanted to update you on a game I just did with a buddy of mine where I tested Afrika Korps and the J1 attack.

I didn’t get to calcutta before the game ended unfortunately but I did conquer the money islands and China and he didn’t fall for the trap so that kinda hurt me in the long run.

But Afrika Korps, that went smoothly. Got troops down into Africa and protected the Italian fleet until it finally built up and together Germany and Italy conquered Egypt right in time for the U.S to show up so that they could turn their navies around to protect Gibraltar.

Germany captured the oilfields of the middle east and got all 3 of their 2 IPC national objectives for it and placed a minor complex on Persia.

The part that I was astounded by was how well Barborossa went. As GHG states, Afrika Korps doesn’t work because it takes too much away from your Barborossa attack which I thought was true but that wasn’t the case. (btw for clarification my buddy did the Russian Counter-Attack strategy against me, and it didn’t go well)

By turn 2 after he counter attacked my army in Bessarabia and advanced his forced from Leningrad into Baltic States I destroyed 10 of his tanks on G2. By the end of the game I had over 20 infantry, 17 tanks, and 14 mech infantry standing in the Kremlin and Stalingrad.

What shocked me the most was just by 1 battle in Bessarabia that happened after he counter-attacked and it sent him fleeing the ENTIRE southern portion of the Soviet Union, which need I remind has twice the amount of money the Northern portion has. I had little resistance moving into the south because he had to retreat his forces all the way to Stalingrad and he’s going to have to pull them back to Moscow as well.

I’m making 90+ IPC’s every turn as Germany, and have 2 more victory cities to go, and am just deciding to do Sealion since it’s turn 6 because what the hell I have 90 IPC’s in the banks.

So that’s the basis of what happened, an incredibly successful Afrika Korps especially with the J1 attack in play, though I didn’t conquer Sub Saharan Africa, I didn’t really need to. I got Italy to fullfill it’s purpose to conquer the Med and Germany had a beautiful Barborossa attack.

Let me know what your thoughts are so I can make this better and possibly find a counter to it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m