Tjoek's 1940 Global Map file and setup charts (Updated May 30th 2018)

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@DMcLaren: in my opinion it helps game play while at the same time looking really nice on the table!

• @Tjoek this is incredible. Printing this out as I type. Now to find a sheet of 36x78in plexiglass…

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@vodot said in Tjoek's 1940 Global Map file (Updated May 30th 2018):

@Tjoek this is incredible. Printing this out as I type. Now to find a sheet of 36x78in plexiglass…

Thnx @vodot! Please share a picture of your map when it’s printed, I would love to see your result!

• @vodot said in Tjoek's 1940 Global Map file (Updated May 30th 2018):

@Tjoek this is incredible. Printing this out as I type. Now to find a sheet of 36x78in plexiglass…

In case this info helps, here’s how I obtained the 36" x 96" sheet of plastic that my customized table (which has an extended-width version of the Global 1940 map board) needed. I found a local plastics company whose merchandise lines were described on their website, and I determined that the best option was a material called non-glare Acrylite P-99; the company had various sizes in stock, and one of them was originally sized by the manufacturer at 48" x 96" x 1/16" thickness. The 96" length was already correct, so all the plastics company had to do for me was to cut the sheet to the correct width. They then shipped it to me by delivery truck, rolled up into a tube about two feet in diameter with a sheet of cardboard wrapped around it to protect it. They even included the slice they had removed. They only charged me ten bucks for the custom cutting, and they did a nice job; the sheet went straight onto the table without needing any work on my part, other than my peeling away the manufacturer’s thin temporary film which protects the acrylic from scratching during storage and shipment.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '18 Customizer

@Tjoek It looks awesome. I have access to fancy plotters at work, and I did this on a 36" roll of heavyweight photo paper with a satin finish on maximum quality. It took half an hour, and it is a thing of beauty. I’ll try to get some pics at home.

@CWO-Marc said in Tjoek's 1940 Global Map file (Updated May 30th 2018):

In case this info helps, here’s how I obtained the 36" x 96" sheet of plastic that my customized table (which has an extended-width version of the Global 1940 map board) needed. I found a local plastics company whose merchandise lines were described on their website, and I determined that the best option was a material called non-glare Acrylite P-99; the company had various sizes in stock, and one of them was originally sized by the manufacturer at 48" x 96" x 1/16" thickness. The 96" length was already correct, so all the plastics company had to do for me was to cut the sheet to the correct width. They then shipped it to me by delivery truck, rolled up into a tube about two feet in diameter with a sheet of cardboard wrapped around it to protect it. They even included the slice they had removed. They only charged me ten bucks for the custom cutting, and they did a nice job; the sheet went straight onto the table without needing any work on my part, other than my peeling away the manufacturer’s thin temporary film which protects the acrylic from scratching during storage and shipment.

Thanks for the tip @CWO-Marc- I actually have 48x48" polycarbonate sheets available to me as well (#engineeringrocks), so I’ll probably pop a couple sheets on the bandsaw and call it good. I’m ok with a physical seam at the Europe/Pacific divide :) I have a teak table that should work as a platform; now I just need a big plywood sheet to set the map on. Maybe one day I’ll have a table to rival some of you crazies with bunkers?

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

It looks awesome. I have access to fancy plotters at work, and I did this on a 36" roll of heavyweight photo paper with a satin finish on maximum quality. It took half an hour, and it is a thing of beauty. I’ll try to get some pics at home.

Just out of curiousity, did you manage to take some pictures? From what you describe it might be very high quality.

• I mean, the pictures are not going to look as nice as the print, and I don’t have a surface yet or the plexiglass cut to size to cover it. I’ll try to get something out in the next few days, though.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

I mean, the pictures are not going to look as nice as the print, and I don’t have a surface yet or the plexiglass cut to size to cover it. I’ll try to get something out in the next few days, though.

No hurry, I am just curious how you material looks

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '18 Customizer

@Tjoek Some pics below. They’ve been through Google photos compression and aren’t the raws, but the map still looks great. It is virtually impossible to overstate how clean it is in person. I decided to kill two birds with one stone and also demo some of my custom 3D printed pieces on the map as well- please forgive the shameless cross-promotion :) As I mentioned above, I did this on a 36" HP T850 plotter on heavyweight satin photo paper, on maximum quality, at a feed speed of about 3"/min.

lg_map.JPG

wash.JPG

wash2.JPG

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@vodot thanks! Your print quality is really astonishing. I wish I had a printer with this quality at work. Let alone the high quality 3D prints! Well done

• '20

Congrats for your work!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m