Tjoek's 1940 Global Map file and setup charts (Updated May 30th 2018)

• '17 '16

I cannot even imagine numbers of hours it took to do it.
    And this not include time to report about it.

I raise my hat.

What a job!

• I am a little bummed I already printed a 1940 map. Well at least I don’t have to decide between yours and Siredblood’s.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Baron:

I cannot even imagine numbers of hours it took to do it.
    And this not include time to report about it.

I raise my hat.

What a job!

Thanks! It really is hundreds of hours. I don’t even want to know the exact number…

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@bgugs:

Well at least I don’t have to decide between yours and Siredblood’s.

Just collect them all  :-D

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Just a quick update. I’ve found a nice color profile close to Intreprids color corrections so I’m happy with that.

I did however found some new things to fix after feedback from my gaming group. The most important changes:

• Move the sea border between 108 and 109 as well as 118 and 119 a bit more to the left to have more distance between the border and EIre so you can easily spot that 109 and 119 are connected

• Put French Central Africa on 2 lines instead of the OOB 3 lines so that the IPC value can move down out of the Sahara area

I have some more reviews coming in. So fingers crossed it won’t be a full rework  :-P

• The link to these changes in a new map file are where?

• '17 '16 Customizer

@Tjoek:

@bgugs:

Well at least I don’t have to decide between yours and Siredblood’s.

Just collect them all  :-D

I agree :)

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Imperious:

The link to these changes in a new map file are where?

Just posted the first preview release of the map file as a dropbox link in my first post. Please have a look and let me know what you think.

• I think it looks amazing.

Since you’ve been updating territory names. One or two things have been bothering me since the release of the OOB maps.

Volgograd. I’ve been thinking what it should be named instead. Maybe Don-Volga or Don Valley or something like that.
    Samara. Whilst not as egregious as Volgograd, this territory and its capital city were called Kuybyshev and Kuybyshev Oblast from 1936 to 1991.

Also, maybe Gibraltar and sz 110 (English channel) could be slighly larger?

• Preview looks beautiful!

• '20 '19 '18

Fantastic job - well done, Tjoek!

A few thoughts:

1. While the standing army icons aren’t necessary for the neutrals, my personal preference would be to have the number of units printed on each country, perhaps in a box or triangle and in a contrasting color from the name/IPC value.
    2. Really like what you’ve done to enlarge Holland Belgium and Bessarabia. Wouldn’t mind seeing Gibraltar and SZ 110 a bit larger, if possible.
    3. The eastern border between Kenya and Tanganyika Territory seems a bit muted or possibly thinner, compared to the border west of Lake Victoria…but viewing it again from a slightly different angle, it may just be my tired eyes.
    4. Now for the first of two truly trivial points: While “Johnston Island” is technically correct, the more accurate name is “Johnston Atoll,” IMO. Johnston Atoll is made up of four islands. During WWII, the US had an airbase on Johnston Island and a seaplane base on Sand Island, part of the same atoll.
    5. This goes beyond your map and to the game itself, but I’ve always thought the significant oil resources in Alberta should merit a 2 IPC value for that territory.

Do with these thoughts what ye will. Even if you don’t make any changes, it’s a beautiful map!

–PM

• “Removed standing army icons on neutrals”

Greetings, new player here but loving it already and I am looking to get a map printed soon. Yours looks amazing. One question though, why the removal of standing army icons on neutrals? Does everyone just memorize with the hours of gameplay how many units would get called up to defend?

Thanks.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

First of all thanks for all the kind words and useful feedback! I will take the suggestions I like to the map, but as there are to many views on the map I simply cannot incorporate them all. But if some of the things you like to see don’t make it to the map I publish here, you’re free to send me a PM as I can always look at it for a small fee so you can play on the map you like best.

@8thGuards:

Volgograd. I’ve been thinking what it should be named instead. Maybe Don-Volga or Don Valley or something like that.

Thanks I’ve learned something new. You’re right about Volgograd being a name that is from the 1960’s. Officially the region itself was called Stalingrad Oblast (or just Stalingrad for short) but to me that looks a bit weird on the board. But most importantly Volgograd is a region being part of the initial setup so I’m hesitant ot change it for that reason alone. But not decided yet what to do  :-D

@8thGuards:

Samara. Whilst not as egregious as Volgograd, this territory and its capital city were called Kuybyshev and Kuybyshev Oblast from 1936 to 1991.

Again something new I learned. As in this case the region was also called Samara before 1936 it seems less of a problem.

@8thGuards:

Also, maybe Gibraltar and sz 110 (English channel) could be slighly larger?

More people have pointed this out in our Dutch gaming community (outside this forum) so I’m looking into this at the moment. Although Gibraltar will never be big enough for all scenario’s. The reason for SZ 110 not being larger in the first preview is the fact that I intend to print the fill a bit larger then OOB size. Roughly 225 by 100 cm or 88.6 inch by 39.4 inch, which makes SZ 110 large enough. But I see it would fit if you print OOB size or slightly larger then that

@The:

1. While the standing army icons aren’t necessary for the neutrals, my personal preference would be to have the number of units printed on each country, perhaps in a box or triangle and in a contrasting color from the name/IPC value.

If you want those number why not simply keep the standing army icons in tact? I will release a few files that are close to OOB as the changes to the standing army is layer I can switch on or off.

@The:

1. Really like what you’ve done to enlarge Holland Belgium and Bessarabia. Wouldn’t mind seeing Gibraltar and SZ 110 a bit larger, if possible.

I haven’t changed Holland Belgium… but Bessarabia is enlarged inspired by Intreprids work on the same map. Gibraltar and SZ 110 are in the making.

@The:

1. The eastern border between Kenya and Tanganyika Territory seems a bit muted or possibly thinner, compared to the border west of Lake Victoria…but viewing it again from a slightly different angle, it may just be my tired eyes.

I’ve heard this from more people. The problem with this border is that the surrounding colors are close to the border color itself. I will try to see if I can increase the highlight and drop shadow on this border. Similar visibility issues seem to arise at the border of New South Wales and Victoria.

@The:

1. Now for the first of two truly trivial points: While “Johnston Island” is technically correct, the more accurate name is “Johnston Atoll,” IMO. Johnston Atoll is made up of four islands. During WWII, the US had an airbase on Johnston Island and a seaplane base on Sand Island, part of the same atoll.

As Johnston Island is technically correct and part of national objectives (and to ensure I will finish this map shortly) I will leave it as is for now.

@The:

1. This goes beyond your map and to the game itself, but I’ve always thought the significant oil resources in Alberta should merit a 2 IPC value for that territory.

I won’t be doing any changes to the actual game play.

@AA1940guy:

One question though, why the removal of standing army icons on neutrals? Does everyone just memorize with the hours of gameplay how many units would get called up to defend?

I would not suggest to remove them at all unless you customize your game a bit. I’ve bought neutral army infantry from Historical Board Gaming that we put on the board during setup. With those infantry in play we simply have no need for the icons any longer. But we do need to have a setup card that holds this information to be able to correctly setup the neutral armies.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Once again thanks for the feedback! I’ve made all suggested changes to the map except for name changes and I would like your feedback on two important changes to SZ 110 and Gibraltar.

SZ 110
    I’ve been playing around with different versions of an enlarged SZ 110. So I’ve attached 3 versions below for you to review. Please let me know which one you like best.

• Option 1: Intreprids design

• Option 2: Steeper angles

• Option 3: Border of Scotland - UK rotated

Gibraltar
    Next to that I’ve enlarged Gibraltar. Please review the last image in this post and let me know what you think.

SZ 110 Option 1

SZ 110 Option 2

SZ 110 Option 3

Gibraltar Enlarged

• '20 '19 '18

The expanded Gibraltar looks great.

My vote is for Option 3, though they all look good.

Again, well done!

• Gibraltar looks great. Another vote for option 3!

• I also add a vote for option 3. Love the new Gibraltar (but I already told you that off-site) :-D

Also I like the special surprise.

• Another vote for option 3

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

So option 3 it will be! This option was the logical conclusion moving from 1 to 2 to 3 in the design process.

• '17 '16

@bgugs:

Another vote for option 3

For me too.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m