• The further into a game we go, the more we have to adapt to unfolding events.  However, since Austria-Hungary goes first that isn’t an issue, at least on Turn 1.  I’m curious, what are your preferred opening moves for Austria-Hungary Turn 1 (assuming GenCon tournament rules)?  Here’s an opening I’ve been mulling over.

Purchases: 1 fighter, 2 artillery, 4 infantry

Moves:
    1 Inf, 1 Art from Trieste to Tuscany (battleship supports)
    5 Inf, 1 Art from Trieste to Venice
    6 inf, 2 art from Tyrolia to Venice
    3 inf from Budapest to Trieste
    9 inf, 2 art from Budapest to Serbia
    6 inf, 2 art from Bohemia to Galicia
    12 Inf, 2 Art from Vienna to Galicia

What do you think?

• '18 '17 '16

Are you attempting to kill Italy first or will you move into Russian territories on the 2nd turn?

I have found that if I divert a few units from France over to Italy almost every turn I can give the AH player fits. For instance, on Turn 1 they will do an amphibious assault on Tuscany to give Italy back their path from Rome to Venice and the French will put a couple of units on Piedmont.

Combine this with Russia congregating in Romania on turn 1 to put a lot of pressure on Budapest. It seems like if you keep the pressure on AH most of the game then the Central Powers have a tough time getting a solid offence going. Germany ends up having to divert units south to help them out instead of going all-in east to Moscow. Ottoman gets no help and will succumb to Britain.

• The moves on Italy are more meant to keep it in check.  I’d rather fight the Italians in Venice than have to defend Trieste and Tyrolia simultaneously.  Given that France is likely to liberate Tuscany before Italy’s Turn 1 (allowing Italy to move units from Rome directly to a contested Venice), would it make more sense to ignore Tuscany altogether and try to take Venice outright?

• '18 '17 '16

I wouldn’t ignore it because it causes France to spend that turn using a transport, Battleship, and ground units that could be used elsewhere in the Med. I think you have to be as aggressive as possible as the Central Powers because if you haven’t all but won the game when America enters the war then you probably won’t have much of a chance to win.

Then again I have never seen the Central Powers win a game so I’m open to strategies that would give them a chance to do that.

• Good point with regard to Tuscany and France.

I may be one of the few, but I actually prefer playing as the Central Powers.

• And if you feel like being more experimental, swap that fighter purchase for a transport and shovel over 2 inf. and 2 art. on T2.  Though, if it’s too crowded in Tuscany, that might be futile and a waste.  However, it would be fun to make Italy sweat even more.

• The normal AH opening for me is to move into Venice in force (all possible units), attack Serbia and Romania while reinforcing Galicia and Trieste.
    Even if you go for Russia you need to at least contest Venice. You can not allow the Russians to keep Romania or worse Galicia.
    Turkey moves into Bulgaria so they will have a presence in the Balkans comes turn 2.

• Balkans and Egypt are the key.  If CP can keep these or maintain pressure, UK will be kept in check and busy, and France will fall.

• Customizer

I don’t think it matters a damn.

The whole problem with this game is that the Allies are so much more mobile (they can virtually teleport by sea, and can feed units into the East via India) that whatever the CPs do the Allies can immediately and effectively counter-move.

Only by allowing the CPs unlimited land movement by rail do they stand a chance of winning.

• @Flashman:

I don’t think it matters a damn.

The whole problem with this game is that the Allies are so much more mobile (they can virtually teleport by sea, and can feed units into the East via India) that whatever the CPs do the Allies can immediately and effectively counter-move.

Only by allowing the CPs unlimited land movement by rail do they stand a chance of winning.

i don’t agree, i have played 6 games against the same people and won 5 out of 6 games. You can win as the Central Powers. We opted for different opening moves which stunned the Allies every time. You can’t go for a total victory but you can hang on so they give up. Taking Russia and moving all west is critical.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m