• '13

We just completed setup and are playing Turn 1 tonight (rest on Sunday). We will likely have 3 players, though a 4th may pick up Japan. I’m posting here while waiting for a login to the HBG forum at globalwargame.com. They don’t have an automated process for creating a login due to spammers.

Some observations so far. I’ll be as detailed as I can so you know what you’re getting in to. For starters, take a good look at the Needed Units for the Game doc here http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Download-Rules-for-GW-1936_c_660.html.

• There are some typos and conflicts with the v1.2 setup. HBG already knows and expects an update in the next couple of weeks.

• Printed the manual in color double-sided and hole-punched at a copy shop ($60). Well worth it! Also saves time - no scrolling up/down on a laptop or tablet.

• Color printed, double-sided, and laminated all the National Reference charts at same copy shop ($30).

• If you want the option of a non-aggression treaty between Germany and USSR, you must use the 1936 setup for Finland (ignore the USSR setup for Vipuri).

• I bought the recommended markers ($60). They were very helpful, but you need about double the militia tokens than were included. You might save some $$ and use Risk pieces or pick up something cheap at a hobby store.

• It’s a tight fit in Europe. Couldn’t fit req’d pieces in small countries (East Prussia). The HBG tokens would work better with a smaller diameter.

• If you think using A&A Global 1940 pieces is enough, think again. We used ours but they were already supplemented with two sets (land, air, navy) of additional units we purchased from HBG (blue for UK-India, light green for France) and white infantry for neutrals. Even so, we were short on units

• Turning subs and destroyers on their sides for coastal subs and torpedo boats didn’t work so we cut 1/3 off the back of subs and destroyers to make coastal subs and torpedo boats.

• To make medium bombers for all but Germany, we clipped a little off the front wings and all of the rear wings of strategic bombers. For Germany, we used tac bombers as med. bombers because Germany had plenty and flipped fighters as tac bombers.

• For light armor, tried the on-the-side tank but no go, so cut the barrels off of tanks.

• We had leftover red Japanese fighters (from A&A Classic, I think) that became air transports.

That covers getting things set up. If this all seems like a lot, well, it has been more of an investment than I expected. Guess my expectations were a bit off;-) There’s good news on the pieces front. In about 2 months, HBG plans to release a supplemental set of pieces that will mesh with A&A Global 1940 to make a complete set.

Last comments. Obviously, read all the rules. But also read all of the National Ref charts for the other players. That’s the only way to get some idea about their IPP ramp-up, special units, country-specific abilities, and the consequences of declaring war.

I’m the Axis player - time to figure out my strategy for Germany and take my turn. More updates to follow…

cb4

• Well written,

I spent Close to 3k total for this game,

Mind you I have ever single expansion, All units that you can purchase for this game, All the acrylic markers, tokens etc. I also use the 4x8 map as well.

The game is a investment for sure but in my eyes it is well worth it. Its like comparing checkers to chess when you compare this Axis and Allies 1940.

So what I did first was I printed all the rules and set up charts out as well but didn’t laminate them because I know they will be doing revisions and updates I went to Staples and purchased the clear plastic sheets that you can slide in papers that can be added to a 3 ring binder if need be. ( I simply purchased these metal rings clasped the top and bottom and its very simple to pass it back and forth and each person can keep his own reference sheet) Honestly it cost me maybe 60 bucks as well but I can print out updated rules or set up sheets and just take out the old and slide in the new.

I do agree there needs to be A LOT better proof reading and QC checks on making sure that the rules are very clear and concise as to what you cant and can do but the forum does help out a lot.

I had a complete Global war 1940 game and I made my life a lot less painless by purchasing another game I used two Axis and Allies games and just went on Ebay and sold the second one with just the maps rules and markers but took all the units. YOU WILL NEED it because one game is not enough. I also purchased White units to denote Neutrals.

If you want any help or ideas as to Costal subs or TBD what I did was again I went on Ebay and people are selling old original Axis and Allies games and units and just used those subs to denote both Costal and TBD. Also you will need over 40 Industrial Complex’s I painted the small complex’s Black and left the Large ones White.

for light tanks HBG sells A LOT of different units so you can honestly purchase small tanks from them and Large ones to show " Heavy Armor"  I did the same with Medium bombers.

Also the Militia tokens I think I have close to 60 of them since you do use a lot for the Soviet union and other nations and its good to have extra.

If you need any Tips ideas or help in anything please let me know!

to help with the tight fit HBG sells these place markers that you take the small marker and place it in a territory and on the larger Marker you place all the units that normally cant fit in that zone. ( it helps when you are fortifying a city or have a large navy in one spot.)

also get Mountain markers Marine markers and even some ( specialty markers) like 10 or so for SNLF Japanese marines and markers that show when you upgrade a unit that you know that unit is upgraded. Costal guns also

if you need any info or help PM me I don’t mind giving my contact info and talking to anyone who needs helps with rules or set up etc. I am sure their is a lot more I want to say but cant think about what or which direction to go lol

• After playing several 1936 as well as 1939 setups, our favourite is 1939 by far.

We use different coloured plastic chips (50 pieces for 3$) for

Blue for airborne units (and transport planes)
    Yellow for ‘less than’, so

• Yellow below sub = coastal sub
    • Yellow below destroyer = torpedo boat
    • Yellow below motorised Inf = Cavalry
    • Yellow below Carrier = Light Carriers

Sure, it is an investment, but so is golf  :mrgreen:

I will place an order for more units/tokens/expansions etc. soon  8-)

• @Munck:

After playing several 1936 as well as 1939 setups, our favourite is 1939 by far.

We use different coloured plastic chips (50 pieces for 3$) for

Blue for airborne units (and transport planes)
    Yellow for ‘less than’, so

• Yellow below sub = coastal sub
    • Yellow below destroyer = torpedo boat
    • Yellow below motorised Inf = Cavalry
    • Yellow below Carrier = Light Carriers

Sure, it is an investment, but so is golf  :mrgreen:

I will place an order for more units/tokens/expansions etc. soon  8-)

Interesting. I like it

For Costal Subs I use the old subs from Axis and Allies  ( little stubby ones)
    TBD I use the  old Destroyers from Axis and Allies
    Calvary I use the Horses from Risk game ( well worth it and its the perfect size for this game)
    The Light Carriers I simply used the old Carriers from Axis and Allies and what I did was I cut off the Conning Tower so its flat looking ship very distinct
    As for Motorized  Inf I went to HBG and ordered enough for every single country

I also Painted them all to each country  ( If needed to be painted ) and it really works … I do like your idea with chips but what do you do if say you have multiple units of that same type and want to chip them together?

• @Whitshadw:

I do like your idea with chips but what do you do if say you have multiple units of that same type and want to chip them together?

That’s easy. We just put a grey, green whatever chip below the yellow chip. Easy to use/see.  :wink:

• '13

Thanks! Lots of good ideas. HGB has a ton of options but we didn’t want to ‘go all out’ on pieces until playing it through at least once. Since they’ll be releasing a supplemental set, I may wait.

I like the place markers idea and already made some. After T1, Germany has 5 units on Luxembourg – it can’t fit half of one unit.

I should’ve bought the 4x8 map :cry:  Even so, I think the map still needs another rev. Squish all those empty USSR zones east and make some more room for Europe. Not accurate but…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m