• I just bought P40 and I am waiting on it to arrive.  I havent played AA in years and when this new version (for me anyways) arrives I already plan on playing it solo due to my wife and girls do not have any interest in war games.

My plan is to play as the Allies except for Russia - they will be neutral.  I was thinking of coming up with a pre-planned strategy for Japan to stick to - for example:

1)Hold off until turn 3 before attacking the US.

1. Goal I: Work towards taking and holding (Borneo, Sumatra, Celebes, & Java). It looks like they provide the largest swing in IPC’s.

2. Defend the bases at the Carolines.

4)Goal II: Take India and Burma.

Once Goal I is achieved proceed to Goal II.

The end game would be to set a certain turn as the cut off and if Japan Holds Goal I and II they win.

I was also going to come up with a system to try and randomize how IPCs will be spent.

For example roll a six sided die (or even 2 dice to increase results/options):
    Result of 1 = Buy all subs.
    Result of 2 = Buy all Infantry
    Result of 3 = Buy 1 Tank and the rest Infantry
    Result of 4 = Buy 2 Transports and Naval Units
    Result of 5 = Buy 1 Artillery and Tanks.
    Result of 6 = Buy 1 Bomber and Fighters.

• @Wedge:

I was also going to come up with a system to try and randomize how IPCs will be spent.

Why?

• My thinking is that I would like some of the decision making for Japan to be random while taking some of the decision process out of my hands to keep it somewhat interesting.

• '17 '16 '15

Hi Wedge

Yea it can be difficult playing against yourself. I sometimes will go with a preplanned strategy, which is what you’ve done. Unfortunately for Pacific I don’t think there are a lot of strat options. There are a few though. You could check some forum games out and maybe get a few more ideas for strategy and give each a number for random start. For me it lasts a few Rds then usually devolves to reaction and targets of opportunity.

Mixing up your buys sounds interesting. Maybe instead of all subs or all inf you could 90% naval, 80% naval. Or find a few buys you like and then give them a number. I think if you go all subs or inf it might skew things a bit much. That’s not to say that it can’t be fun to play that way.

There’s some new cool stuff in Pacific40 that you’ll have fun with. Let us know how your game went.

• @Wedge:

… when this new version (for me anyways) arrives I already plan on playing it solo due to my wife and girls do not have any interest in war games.

So why not download and play against the AI and real opponents using TripleA?

See
    http://www.triplea-game.org/
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=38761.0
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=27127.0

Enjoy gaming :-)

• I agree with Panther! That is what many of us do. Check his links out. :-)

• '17 '16 '15

I agree triplea is the way to go. Since Wedge just got the board game he’ll probably want to use it too : ). Setting up all the dudes was one of the funnest parts of the physical game.

• I have TripleA and do enjoy it, but I miss out on the number of dice being thrown and the results - it just moves so fast with the results end of it.

Plus, I like having an old school board game with all the pieces + actively rolling the dice to see the results.

• @Wedge:

I have TripleA and do enjoy it, but I miss out on the number of dice being thrown and the results - it just moves so fast with the results end of it.

Plus, I like having an old school board game with all the pieces + actively rolling the dice to see the results.

Agreed  :-)

… just a small additional TripleA-tip: Under Engine Preferences -> Engine Settings you will be able to change settings for “Combat Options” and “AI” to slow things a bit down. Just give it a try.  :-)

• '19

As much as I enjoy playing pacific 40 on tripleA, I still prefer playing it on the board game.  I enjoy seeing huge navies clash in the pacific with lots of chips. :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m