• '19 '17 '16

@Zhukov44:

@Corpo24:

Thanks guys! Looks like I have a lot to think about.  Really like the fighter idea on Scotland.  👍

I would use the rest of the bid to place a sub in sz 98 (that leaves you an extra 2 ipcs to give to Russia). It’s important to attack the Italian fleet in sz 97 on UK1 (unless Germany is in full Sea Lion mode in which case you don’t) and the fig in Scotland and ss in 97 give you extra ammunition to do that while still being able to make other attacks (for example, destroying German units in sz 110 or sz 111).  Don’t strech yourself too thin on UK1!  If you attack sz 97, make sure you bring enough units to have 90%+ odds of victory even if Italy scrambles.

Russia over UK_Pac for the extra 2IPC? In both cases an additional inf purchase is allowed, usually. I reckon the inf swings things more in India.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

I’ve never played where you can keep cash from the bid.

it sounds like from some of the comments here that people who are more experienced interpret the bid very liberally (can buy anything including bases and factories, place it anywhere without limit, and can keep cash), so unless they are limited by agreement, as I keep saying; they are exploiting those limits to expand what bidding can do.

It seems more sensible to place some limits on it, not because they are absolutely needed (I don’t suspect it will break the game somehow), but because an “X” bid should have some uniform application in order to judge what bid is adequate or average.    Being able to place 12 infantry on an empty square is completely different than being able to place 36 worth of varied units over a wider area.

“With the extra sub, Italy rarely scrambles and has trouble defeating the UK navy until the German turn.  That allows you to convoy raid for a turn, break an Italian bonus, and force the Germans to lose a couple planes to sink the UK Med fleet”

Unless Italy sees that the Germans suffered very few casualties from their opener (and therefore want to take some crazay risks), they should probably never risk their airforce either in that scramble or risk losing the whole thing on any early attack either.  It sounds awesome that you will be convoying Italy but the fact is that the subs will either be lost as casualties, or killed on the first Italian counterattack because at that point they still have 1 DD, unless you have multiple subs to replace the ones being lost, or spread them out (since you don’t start with any, this is hard to do).

That Italian air force is such a powerful can-opener that losing it isn’t really an option.  Someone pointed out that a standard Italian Xped force can kill 10+ lesser units and “open the door” with its airforce.  The Italian bomber often picks off lone infantry blocking the backfield at a critical time.

• ShadowHawk: Using your standard UK1 Taranto raid with no extra sub here are the two scenarios:

Scenario 1) No Scramble
    UK loses one unit
    Italy chooses to destroy the French fleet because it is difficult to kill the remaining UK fleet in SZ97
    Italy loses most of their income on I1 from convoy raids, and doesn’t get any bonuses
    Germany loses 2 or 3 planes when cleaning up the Med on G2

Scenario 2) Scramble three fighters 60% chance that UK still wins, likely keeping a bomber, tac, and fighter that can land in Malta with no fleet left in SZ97
    Italy destroys the French fleet, maybe losing one more ship than in the previous scenario but those ships don’t make much of a difference in the game
    Italy gets bonus from have the Med cleared of ships, has no convoy raid, and is in a similar strategic situation as scenario 1 since the additional income makes up for the lost fighter.

20% chance that Italy wins and keeps the transport and possibly a couple of planes
    Italy is extremely strong and can threaten Egpyt.  Even if UK holds the territory, they are prevented from aiding Russia for several rounds.  The Axis are in such a strong position that they have a very high likelihood of winning the game.  I usually surrender as Allies if Egpyt has been captured during the first few rounds and there is no chance to recapture it.

20% chance that UK crushes the Italians without many loses
    This becomes similar to Scenario 1 except that Italy has two fewer planes for the rest of the game.  While this is hardly your preferred outcome, you aren’t scratching your head trying to figure out what to do for the rest of the game like a situation where Egypt falls on I2.

Summary: 
    60% chance of similar outcome to no-scramble
    20% chance of being in a very strong position
    20% chance of being in a slightly inferior position
    Throw in other considerations and scrambling might or might not make sense.  So much depends on your gameplan for Axis.

Adding in one extra UK sub will tip the outcomes to about 50%/7%/43% for  similar/great/slightly bad.  No thanks to that scrambling opportunity.  It is very likely that the extra sub will survive until UK2 where it can wreak additional havoc in the Med.  With support from a bomber and other planes, it can destroy or damage remaining Italian fleet.  The net benefits are way more than 6 PUs.

• '16 '15 '10

If you got 75% chance of winning with the scramble you are pretty safe as the chance of italy scrambling are already low and even then you still win 75% of the time and of the remaining 25% there is a pretty big piece mutual annihilation.

Echoing ABH’s points, if I’m Axis I usually take that battle and scramble.

According to my TripleA calc, if Axis doesn’t scramble, the average TUV swing is 31.62.  If Axis does scramble, it’s 13.44.

Allies have 80% chance of winning.  That means 20% of the time that attack fails and around 15% the Italian bb survives.  It’s very challenging to recover from that setback as Allies.

Axis has extra incentive to scramble to obtain more income on Italy1 by avoiding convoys in 97.  Some go for a Italy 1 97 attack, but that’s risky for Italy and it allows the french fleet a pass.  So between the 18 ipc swing, the +8 from not being convoyed, and the extra planes Germany will not lose hitting 97 on G2, the scramble (risking 30$ worth of units) doesn’t seem like such a bad risk.

UK doesn’t absolutely need the sub bid (an extra fighter does the job in 97 just as well).  However, there’s no shortage of targets on UK1, so every extra unit helps.  The sub bid is also valuable for the potential convoy damage it will inflict over the long haul.

• '19 '17 '16

I also like to scramble.

Options I1 are very limited without the scramble. Normally, SZ96 is blocked so all you can do is hit sz96 & SZ93 and perhaps Greece with the Albanian force + air.

Although the sub + 2nd fighter from London changes things somewhat. Actually makes it a negative TUV expectation. Only one makes it slightly positive but probably negative after considering the TUV positive Luftwaffe attack.

• '19 '17 '16

Scrambling isn’t about winning. It’s about inflicting enough pain on the UK to make the attack hurt. Winning (keeping the transport is a win) is a bonus. If you don’t scramble, you will probably kill one unit. If you do, mutual annihilation or near to it is likely.

• @simon33:

Scrambling isn’t about winning.

Agreed. It is only about the simple calulation: what is my IPC tradeoff for scrambleing. If your fighter gets to fire twice, you should almost always scramble. Only exception is if you have a jucier target on your turn.

• '19 '17 '16

I don’t get the argument that scrambling limits your options as Italy I1. Barring an all air attack on SZ96, you got to think your only real option to amphibious assault I1 is Gibraltar. Is what is meant that your later options are limited?

Germany still needs its planes and losing some in SZ97 weakens their Barbarossa thrust a little.

• '19 '17 '16

If you scramble you will pretty much always buy a fighter I1. You might also reinforce Rome with the Luftwaffe to deter an attack.

• Also depends on IF:
    UK brings in the extra Ftr and a Bmbr.

But as SH allready explained:
    What is your goal with Italy. Stall as long as possible UK in the Med.?
    Getting aggressiv?
    Looking for NO’ s?
    Or soften UK RN for the German Luftwaffe?

If you scramble with Italy or not reveals also your future Plans in the Med. :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m