Welcome! If you're a returning member of the forums, please reset your password. If you don't receive an email within minutes, it means your account is listed under another, likely older, email address. Contact webmaster@axisandallies.org for help.

Question about damaged carrier and planes landing

• I have a question about the carrier as a capital ship, taking two hits to kill.

Imagine there is a carrier with two planes on it. They all belong to the same nation, and are the only pices this nation has in this very sea zone. Then the carrier is attacked, let’s say by an enemy destroyer. The destroyer scores one hit, and the carrier or the planes scores a hit as well. So the destroyer is gone and combat is over.

However, the defending player choose to let the carrier take the hit, since it is a capital ship. So she flips it over on it’s side. From what I understand, the carrier is now damaged.

And damaged carriers cannot conduct air operations? Which means the planes, if they cannot land on a different friendly carrier in the same sea zone, can move 1 space in order to land, right? But if they still have no place to land, they are considered lost?

• If your fighters take off to battle an enemy and you choose to take the carrier hit, because the planes are in the air, they cannot land until repaired so you need to send them to land and if you cannot, they crash due to lack of fuel so as crappy as the situation is, logic seems you should take the hits on the fighters and let the carrier die last otherwise taking the single hit on the carrier becomes three hits overall. Now, if you choose not to send the fighters into battle, if the carrier gets hit, the fighters are now trapped inside the ship like cargo and cannot leave until the carrier is fixed.

I hope this helps.

Also, from my understanding, the same logic applies to allied fighters.

• @Caesar:

If your fighters take off to battle an enemy and you choose to take the carrier hit, because the planes are in the air, they cannot land until repaired so you need to send them to land and if you cannot, they crash due to lack of fuel so as crappy as the situation is, logic seems you should take the hits on the fighters and let the carrier die last otherwise taking the single hit on the carrier becomes three hits overall. Now, if you choose not to send the fighters into battle, if the carrier gets hit, the fighters are now trapped inside the ship like cargo and cannot leave until the carrier is fixed.

I hope this helps.

Also, from my understanding, the same logic applies to allied fighters.

You cannot choose not to send the fighters into battle, the fighters are considered in the air during the combat regardless of your wishes.
    This is even more painfull in the case of a submarine attack as the sub can only hit the carrier and the fighters cannot even shoot back.

When a Carrier is attacked all aircraft regardless or nationality that are on the carriers are considered to be in the air.

Thats it, no ifs or buts no exceptions that is the rule period.

• Thank you guys, that was very helpful.

But when will this “trapped cargo” situation the rule book mentions occur? Only if the carrier had one friendly plane from another nation, and the owner of the carrier moved it into an attack, in order to use the one free space for his own fighter, coming from somewhere else? But he got two hits, so his own fighter is gone and the carrier is damaged? Then the friendly fighter cannot do anything until the carrier is fixed next round or so?

• Official Answers

That’s correct.  It can only happen when an attacking carrier has a fighter belonging to an ally on it.

• Then I get it. Cheers.

Welcome to the new forums! For security and technical reasons, we did not migrate your password. Therefore to get started, please reset your password. You may use your email address or username. Please note that your username is not your display name.

If you're having problems, please send an email to webmaster@axisandallies.org

T-shirts, Hats, and More

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games

Users

Topics

1.3m