• '19 '17 '16

@Arthur:

In regards to Scandinavia, I rarely see a good German player succumb to a Russian attack there except after Sea Lion openings with large number of planes shot down over London.  Usually the German infantry with plane support will stop the advance.  You have 7 infantry and 10-16 planes in the attack.  You need closer to 20 ground units to discourage the German attack; the units cannot easily reposition from Finland once you go that far, and there is no way that your remaining Russians can do anything but turtle down in Moscow.  At that point, the Germans can swing their fast movers up into Scandinavia and decimate the Russian invaders.

I think it is more the reduction in Moscow’s defence.

I still think Scandanavia has some merit for the allies but it needs to be a combined nation assault. Any slow movers which don’t head east immediately on DOW are out of Moscow defence and you have to accept that they will be cut off when Leningrad falls, or perhaps die in its defence. USA can’t really do it on its own because Germany can just put planes on Norway to support its inf and USA can’t bring in land based fighters/tacs without USSR claiming Finland as a landing field. Even then, US3 they could be facing 13 land units + planes on Norway. Difficult to have enough to take that down.

You also can’t allow Germany to position land units on Finland to push USA off Norway if they land on it.

• Well this isn’t exactly what I would call a safe Russian Strategy, however one way I found to defend it is through a live game I played this weekend.  I played the allies with a 29 Bid that went to the Med in a stereotypical method.  I purchased 3 AC R1 with US  I pulled Hawaiian fleet back to San Fran and appeared to play passively allowing Japan to play aggressive towards the DEI and India, I was feigning a draw towards the Atlantic.

R2 I purchased fighters to fill the one empty AC, other 2 had been filled from mainland US and Hawaii, while staying in San Fran other cash just went to filler navy.

R3 I purchased 7 fighters and moved my fleet from San Fran to SZ4.

R4 I was able to fly all the aircraft from SZ4 to Yakuz in USSR and in R5 I had 7 US fighters and a tac in Moscow.

This might have been a one trick pony for my group, however it was very effective because keeping my navy in San Fran threatened the Germans as they thought I would swing around and let the Japanese be aggressive, however my move to SZ4 instead of moving to Hawaii or the Atlantic threw them off and effectively allowed the US to bolster Moscow with it’s airforce while at the same time UK was liberating Leningrad allowed the allies a decisive victory in Moscow and they surrendered afterwards seeing as the Japs had India but still needed Hawaii or Sydney and neither was feasible.

Hope that made sense, and works for others.

• If you want Allied fighters in Moscow, it is far easier to just build a factory in Persia and start flying 3 of them up beginning UK3.  Alternatively they can be built in Egypt or South Africa and flown up there slightly more indirectly.

Trying to get the American fighters there via Siberia early in the game is generally wasteful.  It can be a smart move mid-game if you can get an Allied foothold in Korea or Manchuria.

• @Arthur:

If you want Allied fighters in Moscow, it is far easier to just build a factory in Persia and start flying 3 of them up beginning UK3.  Alternatively they can be built in Egypt or South Africa and flown up there slightly more indirectly.

Trying to get the American fighters there via Siberia early in the game is generally wasteful.  It can be a smart move mid-game if you can get an Allied foothold in Korea or Manchuria.

Certainly it is not the most effective route, however it is not easily foreseen such as a MIC in Persia and so there is an element of surprise and last minute muster of defense to it.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

oysteilo and ShadowHAwk play Global 2nd edition with no bid for ShadowHAwk.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=39233.0

Wish us luck and no trash talk to ShadowHAwk for taking on the challenge. He deserves only repect for this hard mission. At the end of the day, he might even win. Pay attention guys (and girls if any)!

• I attack the second term with my main attack in the south as the Germans.  my third term I have tanks in position to hit at Leningrad and Ukraine which I can grab by turn four.  As the Russian player,  I usually wont build anything for Russia until the 3rd turn or attacked.  I grab Iraq when at war or on my fourth, I usually invite USA player over to East to bomb japan for their so what about lend lead money if you can keep them out keeping you focused on Germany which should be Russia’s main goal.  If not attacked by Germany by the fourth I try to grab Romania and upgrade the Ukraine factories for tank and mechanized infantry to drive into Balkans.

• '19 '17 '16

That doesn’t seem right unless they are playing unlimited production or some other weird rule.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@oysteilo:

how are you getting UK fighters to moscow end of UK3 or UK4? Are you taking out italian navy or not?

Speaking with only movement potential being considered (and not with the impact of taking these units from other duties):

• 3 ANZAC fighters can make it to Russia on A4, assuming that Japan does nothing to impede them on J1/2.

• UK India can build four mechanized infantry on UK1, which make it to Russia on UK5.

• UK planes (3 fighters and two tactical bombers) can make it to Russia on UK3 if the UK activated Persia on UK1.

• An MIC build in Persia on UK2 can land three fighters in Russia on UK4 (built them turn 3, fly them on turn 4).

• An MIC build in Egypt on UK1 can land three fighters in Russia on UK4 (build turn 2, land Persia turn 3, land Russia turn 4

That is more than enough firepower to stop a G6 attack on Moscow, if Russia is prudent and builds nothing but infantry and pulls the Siberian forces towards Moscow.

Marsh

• '19 '17 '16

One of the Anzac fighters can reach by turn 3: Shan State->E Persia->Moscow. All can reach with a neutral crush.

Siberian troops can’t reach before a G6 attack though.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@oysteilo:

if anyone is interested in taking on a league or non leage game for 0 bid to show I am wrong I am up for it. I am not a very good axis player but feel confident at this one. text me

I’ll do a zero bid G40 game with you.

PM me and we can set it up.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m