• I have played a few games as axis and as allies during which the allies stacked Yunnan (R1 and R2) to prevent Japan from taking it in round 3…

Let’s say Japan does his job and has about 20 landunits plus most of it’s airforce in range in J3. Should they attack if they would lose all groundunits en 2-3 fighters? Because of overwhelming Japanese firepower the allies lose about 8-10 units more, including all it’s UK-Indian airforce and a ANZAC fighter.

After that the allies keep their territory and are able to build up it’s force faster, but the Japanese have a smaller allied army to defeat on land. The downside of this allied strategy is that the US will not come into the war until US4 (after collect income in US3) if Japan leaves the Filipines alone…

1. Can Japan afford this, I mean losing almost all groundunits in China and a few planes? What are your thoughts on that?

2. Should the allies always try to stack Yunnan en seek a all-out battle (Kantai Kessen in Japanese or Kesselschlacht in German) like that?

Thank you!

• Even though you cannot take the DEI with Japan in J3? And there are no Russian units involved.

• Well in the current game, Japan is far from taking India and India has extra IPC from taking a few DEI islands. India has about 16 units on land after the attack (UK3, Japan DOW on J3). So three transports will not be enough, not nearly enough…

As for China, the Chinese still have 6 units, including the fighter…

Japan has only one unit next to Yunnan (which is held by 4 UK units) and 3 mech’s on Anhwe. And some 15 units to hold of the Russian army in Amur…

• It all depends if Japan can capture India by bypassing Yunnan. Often the UK reinforcements have trouble getting back to the capitol.  Getting an airbase in FIC and a fleet in Malaya or next to a naval base in FIC can force the UK troops to retreat.

If that doesn’t sound like a plausible plan, you are forced to attack Yunnan.  Allied control of Yunnan early in the game usually results in victory.  They can threaten a Chinese can opening move followed by a UK mech hitting Hong Kong.  You end up just spending all of your production trying to hold the Mainland and have insufficient funds to hold off the ANZAC + USA naval forces.

• Or Japan can just wait another turn en put pressure on India with its transports. That way the British can either retreat or lose India… The Japanese army could split in two: one army could take the rest of China and perhaps a few Russian territories, the other army can hold FIC with fighter support against the Brits and eventually beat the combined allied army in Yunnan…

I don’t think attacking a well-defended Yunnan is a good idea in J3.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@Tolstoj:

Or Japan can just wait another turn en put pressure on India with its transports. That way the British can either retreat or lose India… The Japanese army could split in two: one army could take the rest of China and perhaps a few Russian territories, the other army can hold FIC with fighter support against the Brits and eventually beat the combined allied army in Yunnan…

I don’t think attacking a well-defended Yunnan is a good idea in J3.

It depends…

Not only the battle matters, but what takes place afterwards matters as well. Let’s assume that all Japanese land units in the battle are gone after the battle.

Will China be able to recapture territories other than Yunnan? Without attacking Yunnan, it’s a lot easier to keep the North under control.

Are there Russian mechanized units that can push further?

If the front breaks due to having no land units / reinforcements, can the British retake Hong-Kong?

Is the loss of Japanese air critically allowing the US fleet to put more pressure on Japan?

Were the land units participating in Yunnan needed to retake the DEI?

I’m happy to give my opponents a slight positive TUV battle for as long as my position is improved afterwards. As important as Yunnan might be, it might be better to wait and build up rather than trading units and territories.

• Yes, almost all Japanese landforces are gone after the battle (accept for two mech and 1 inf).

Japan cannot take all of the DEI because of the attack, in J4 Japan takes all of the DEI, but again by taking landunits away from China.

There are no Russian mech’s in China, or even on their way to China. Do you always use mechs as a Russian player, to help China? We don’t… we are always trying to stall the Germans at least one vital round…

The US fleet is nog strong enough to press forward (Japan has bought a carrier and a sub).

Yes landunits were needed to attack Yunnan which were otherwise used to take the DEI.

• If I am playing a non-balanced mod game of G40, I always bring Russian mech/tanks and a couple of planes to help out China.  They often can help fortify Yunnan for a critical round, or have an opportunity to blitz into Malaysia for the big bonus and additional headache.  If things are not looking promising in China, the fast movers can make it back to Moscow before they are needed for a final assault on the capitol.  If China has more income and Japan is hurt in the mainland of Asia, USA can spend additional income in the Atlantic.  That more than compensates for the reduced units in the European theater.  In fact, if the Allies can keep and fortify Yunnan, they have a very high chance of winning.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m