Sired's Map project - Updated- 4/16 - files available see first post

• '17 '16 Customizer

This is what I came up with, I like the idea of the silhouette as its what it does for the standing army, which ill probably use (just make my own style). I left the one YG used on his map to show the size is still the same.

Painting didn’t get too far, as I spent most of the time of trying different convoy ideas. The sea zone lines, I mimicked the original, as though its my map, I want it to have the look of the original.

• Those convoy markers look great. They fit in really well.

• '17 '16 Customizer

@IWillNeverGrowUp:

Those convoy markers look great. They fit in really well.

Thanks! Ive actually modded them slightly, I replaced the ship silhouette with a transport, the same transport art used from HBG convoy marker (as I use those)

Water painting went well yesterday, should have updated pic Friday

• Looks great, Sired! Can’t wait to see the land zones painted!

One thing I noticed is that some of the seazone borders don’t line up as they do in the OOB map. I found two in particular:

Border between SZ97 and SZ99 connects with land in Albania rather than Greece, meaning that Greece is completely surrounded by SZ99 whereas in the OOB map it borders both SZ97 and SZ99.

Border between SZ93 and SZ95 doesn’t line up with the border between Northern Italy and Southern France, meaning that Northern Italy has access to SZ93 and SZ95, which is different to the OOB map where it only has access to SZ95.

You might have noticed this already, but I just wanted to make sure.  :-D

I think this is going to be a great improvement to gameplay. Central Europe always gets so congested!  :-)

Keep up the good work. Happy new year!

• '17 '16 Customizer

@rasater:

Looks great, Sired! Can’t wait to see the land zones painted!

One thing I noticed is that some of the seazone borders don’t line up as they do in the OOB map. I found two in particular:

Border between SZ97 and SZ99 connects with land in Albania rather than Greece, meaning that Greece is completely surrounded by SZ99 whereas in the OOB map it borders both SZ97 and SZ99.

Border between SZ93 and SZ95 doesn’t line up with the border between Northern Italy and Southern France, meaning that Northern Italy has access to SZ93 and SZ95, which is different to the OOB map where it only has access to SZ95.

You might have noticed this already, but I just wanted to make sure.  :-D

I think this is going to be a great improvement to gameplay. Central Europe always gets so congested!  :-)

Keep up the good work. Happy new year!

awesome thanks, I was hoping if there were flaws they would be pointed out! Thanks again!

• Cool! Glad to be of help!

Another thing I thought of; border between SZ122 and SZ123 (Iceland) could be moved a little further to the west (left). Just to make it a little more clear that SZ123 is accessible from SZ117.

Again, great work. Keep it up!

• '17 '16 Customizer

thanks again, I took a few days away from this project to work on cards, but im back on it now! Im fixing those errors now, thanks again, you saved the day!

• You’re a busy man! Really looking forward to seeing this project progress.  :-)

Another question; are you going to keep the connecting land between Scotland and Northern Ireland? From a gameplay perspective I can see why you’d do that, seeing as the two countries belong to the same zone, but it just looks a bit weird to me to see it like that. Looking at the origial map though, they’ve put the UK roundel right where that land bridge is on your map, maybe you were planning on doing the same?

Regardless, you’re doing great work here. Keep it up!

• '17 '16 Customizer

The land mass in that pic don’t show the country lines, as it was a water pic of the convoy (which is way batter now, same design method though)

My goal, in less I fk it up, keep the gameplay 100% in tact (which I thank  for helping me do so) im not trying to change values or lines, if I do, its on accident and needs to be fixed.

Thanks again for keeping me in check, ill post an updated pic prior to the weekend. I still have lots of crap im trying to do, one of which is the vid for the painted units flyover… time just slips away :( I need 50hr day cycles!

• time just slips away  :-( I need 50hr day cycles!

Don’t I know it. Take it easy, man. Don’t sweat it. Burn-out is a real thing. Post something when you can, if you can.

You’re doing a great job, keep it up! Looking forward to your next update!

• Sponsor

Excellent work, I’m looking forward to printing one off and showing it in my YouTube videos.

• '17 '16 Customizer

@Young:

Excellent work, I’m looking forward to printing one off and showing it in my YouTube videos.

That would be dope :P

• '17 '16 Customizer

Just about to wrap up the map water/Sea zones/Convoy, etc …. I noticed on my 1999 Europe map, it has ocean names on the map, im toying with the idea, what do you guys think?

Anyway, I may have a pic up tonight of the progress, if not, tomorrow for sure. I have my scheduled cleared for the next 8hrs, so its map time, along with some rum and redbull :)

• Sponsor

I like the idea of the ocean names if you have the right font and they are transparent enough not to steal the focal point. Never really liked those random illustrations floating around in the empty sea spaces… maybe a nautical compass if there’s room some where.

• '17 '16 Customizer

I was thinking the same, very transparent for the ocean names

Ill be painting/tinkering the next few hours with the water still,but I wanted to show a pic of the overall map, you can see everything was pretty much adjusted with the exception of the Americas. The islands in the pacific were made slightly larger, England grew, obviously the main reason for the project, a bigger Europe, smaller Africa. Spain I shrunk, I would rather more room in the French territories, and ya, I know spain looks weird, but I was the necessary evil to keep reasonable sea zones and keep the game lines in tact. Some of the other small islands were also enlarged, Crete for one, cant recall the others right now :)

I also removed a few little island specs I thought were more or less in the way, I don’t think we needed 2 little islands in Norway taking up the sea zone, just did a few of those to make better use of the sea zones.

I haven’t 100% decided the hue of the water yet, will be adjusted to the mainland colors after I paint (starting tomorrow)

Hope to have more pic up over the weekend. The hard part is over, After I paint its pretty much done, then its just tinker/adjust. This file has over 400 layers, will be over 500 after I add the IPC values, whoowe!

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Great stuff. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

• '18 '17 '16

I like the added room in the Baltic Sea. Staring at the flashing map freaks me out after a few seconds though, lol.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks for the comments guys! In addition to the Baltic area, I also increased the distance from UK to Normandy, was pretty tight before.

I finished the water last night as planned, again, im not sure on the HUE/Saturation/Etc yet, ill tone in once the land is done, The water has been merged down to 4 layers,  but I can still all sorts of tweeking when the time comes. I took this pic, not only to show the water, but the convoy and kamikaze silhouette.

The convoy/kamikaze still may get tweeked, but that’s them as of now, the black will more then likely be hued to match the BG once I decide on a shade.

Im in the process of pasting on satellite pics of the countries to give me painting references.

• '19 '18 '17

I really like the kamikaze symbols!

The color not so much, but they may change a little bit as you’ve written.

Also you have rightfully concentrated on europe with your resizing work. But while you are at it, maybe we can think about some places in asia that are a bit too small in contrast to the amount of units there in a standard game.

Right on top of my head I was thinking about Hawaii and Malaya. For the latter maybe snitch a small chunk of Shan state?

And while not really practical at all, for some time now I would love a tiny corner of antartica hinted deep down in the south. Impassable of course.

Doesn’t add something to the game, but I kind of like the idea for unknown reasons :)

• '17 '16 Customizer

I made Hawaii a tad bigger, probably not enough though, I was already thinking of adding a blowup box in the bottom corner where the unit chart was (as I removed those)

Malaya, ya, we can fudge some borders :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m