Sired's Map project - Updated- 4/16 - files available see first post

• Sponsor

I love the colours you used for the water… really like the subtle tones from light to dark around the shore lines to open sea… my only concern is how dark it is overall, I like the 1940 water because it’s light enough, however, I don’t like looking at the 1942 2ndE board because the water colour is so dark.

• This would be the best map so far. The water nuances are perfect. Try not to make it like the oob map. Even adding some islands ( Maldives, Azores) would make it nicer.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

I too like your convoy and kamikaze markers a lot. Way better than those on the OOB map. They flow nicely without the box around them.

Have you thought about making the kamikaze diving or at some angle relative to the x axis of the board? It looks good as-is, and you don’t want it to be obtrusive; however that could make it a little more dynamic. Could require a different image though.

And is that a Val with the wheels chopped off?.. It kinda looks like a Dauntless silhouette. People may not notice, but it would be fundamentally wrong if it were an image of an American plane. … meaning I would find it a near sacrilege.  :lol:

Maybe something like so, in silhouette? Or showing the discs on the wings? I really don’t know how detailed you want to be when that small:

Or

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks guys for the comments, im happy to know the progress approval is up more so then down :)

I actually wanted the plane in a dive, but it took up more space then I wanted, and ya, I cut the wheels so it would fit better with the writing, but I guess I should put them back to distinguish it better. Ill also toy with maybe a slight pivot.

And ya, I can see adding Azores, give that huge void a little pizazz.

Tomorrow ill be gone all day, so I wont be able to get new progress pics till Monday/Tuesday. Going to spend the rest of the night finishing up my card deck.

Thanks again for the comments, they are all very helpful!

@siredblood:

I actually wanted the plane in a dive, but it took up more space then I wanted, and ya, I cut the wheels so it would fit better with the writing, but I guess I should put them back to distinguish it better. Ill also toy with maybe a slight pivot.

Gotcha. I figured as much. Good to know.

Vals had fixed gear, so that’s why I wasn’t sure.

• '17 '16 Customizer

I can honestly say I never paid attention to it being fixed, when I looked at your pic you posted, I noticed and knew ok, gotta put’em back lol.

@siredblood:

I can honestly say I never paid attention to it being fixed, when I looked at your pic you posted, I noticed and knew ok, gotta put’em back lol.

Haha, no prob man. Keep up the good work.

• Great work, Sired! Can’t wait to see the land painted!  :-)

I agree with IL and YG; the water looks great! Like you said, though, you might need to adjust it a little when you paint the land, depending on how it looks. Love the wave/ripple effect you’ve got going on.

With regards to your blow-up boxes where the mobilization zones used to be; I’d personally prefer to have a clean map, without any game aids. I know that those sea zones are largely unused, but I just like the clean look. I would use your map as is, and add some “mobile” game aids to it. Let me explain; for example, you could print out a couple (maybe three or four) generic numbered blow-up boxes on card stock and add some sort of numbered marker/flag to that. You could then place that marker on the zone you need enlarged and put that territory’s units on the corresponding blow-up box card.

Other than that I like the idea of adding the azores and/or canaries, as well as the transparent ocean names (as long as they’re subtle), and as YG said, maybe a nautical compass, if it works.  :wink:

• '17 '16 Customizer

I agree, a clean map is better, why I removed all the default stuff in the first place.

Its funny you should mention about making boxes, last night I was messing with the blowup box on the map, and thought to myself, why not make some out of wood, this way every/any place can be blownup. So today I went to the shop to bore the lid for the Italy battle box, then I cut some blowup boxes out… just need to detail them a tad to match all my other crap, then paint.

Also, I messed with the kamikaze some more, ill post a pic here soon of some options.

• Sponsor

My card deck accessory will be available soon, it will have blow up box cards and mobilization zone cards for each nation. This deck will also have reference card information like order of play, starting income, cost of units, R&D charts as well as turn sequence steps… these cards will reference info for both the 1940 and 1942 scenarios.

@Young:

these cards will reference info for both the 1940 and 1942 scenarios.

What scenarios are those? Are they for play on a G40 board?

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Young:

these cards will reference info for both the 1940 and 1942 scenarios.

What scenarios are those? Are they for play on a G40 board?

Yes, there is the 1940 scenario which we all know, and there is a 1942 scenario that Larry created for Gen Con tourney games… all setup charts for both scenarios will also be included in my deck.

@Young:

Yes, there is the 1940 scenario which we all know, and there is a 1942 scenario that Larry created for Gen Con tourney games… all setup charts for both scenarios will also be included in my deck.

Oh cool. I had no idea.

Is the setup listed somewhere?

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Young:

Oh cool. I had no idea.

Is the setup listed somewhere?

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=34278.0

• My card deck accessory will be available soon, it will have blow up box cards and mobilization zone cards for each nation. This deck will also have reference card information like order of play, starting income, cost of units, R&D charts as well as turn sequence steps… these cards will reference info for both the 1940 and 1942 scenarios.

That’ll be great, YG. Should take care of all the different needs previolusly handled by the game aids on the map itself. Can’t wait to see the deck!

• '19 '18 '17

I would also prefer not to have blowup boxes on the map. A small (movable) thing is way more flexibel. You put your units on the card / wooden panel or something and put a marker on the map.

On the other hand, it would certainly be nicer to have blowup boxes with the actual territory on it. A more detailed version of gibraltar / hawaii would be a really nice touch for a box.
    Certainly better than a generic “army #1” box. But I guess you can’t have everything  :-) Or maybe we could ask sired to do some blowout boxes of often used territories and release it as a seperate file to the map

• Sponsor

@Koala:

On the other hand, it would certainly be nicer to have blowup boxes with the actual territory on it.

This could be done with the right amount of cards… what would be considered necessary territories for blow up boxes?

• '17 '16 Customizer

I kinda like the idea of some island cards, something to think about for your deck YG (I know your done, but are we ever done? :P )

Sorry for the delay, but here are some Kamikaze wips, added the wheels back to the val, in addition tried out another silhouette. Then tried the sun.

Im kinda partial to the original one (1) … with the added wheels it cover the Kaze a tad, (3) is the same, but raised to not cover the Kaze. The more I look at (1), the more the wheels don’t bother me like it originally did.

• Sponsor

I agree, I like the original one with wheels, the rising sun is cool, but it’s not conducive to the convoy symbol and I think they should both be cut from the same cloth (so to speak).

…and yes, it’s seems that I am not done, but I don’t want to revisit the card deck project and must spend the time to get it right, I believe this now includes setup charts and blowup boxes.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m