Sired's Map project - Updated- 4/16 - files available see first post

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Nice!

• Looking good - I’ve found it’s a trick to enlarge Europe and the Med without ending up with a badly deformed Africa - you have to really walk a line there…it really helps the immersion to have fairly accurate continent shapes…

• Can you take more time tracing the continental outlines so they match better? Its important that the land areas perfectly match as well as the sea zones. I notice a tendency to “round out” the forms in that picture. All the jagged data of the coastline needs to be transposed accurately, you may even consider drawing the continents from actual maps and fitting them together after enlarging them.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Nice to see more progress on this map! What font did you use for the country names? It seems very close to the actual font used.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks for the comments!

I think Africa looks great, im painting that now!

I admit my lines suck, I just drew them fast, over laping, etc. didn’t matter. What look good on screen needs to be tested live, which is what this was for, do the units fit better, or not, where more improvements can be made… im happy with the fitments, I do have a few adjustment I would like to make, then I can finalize the lines.

As I start painting, I spend more time on the actual lines of the continent, no worries :)

As for the fonts, ill have to look, the number font and name font are different, and they are both licensed fonts, so will cost 25 bucks or so.

• Franklin Gothic Heavy is the font for Axis and Allies

• '17 '16 Customizer

@Imperious:

Franklin Gothic Heavy is the font for Axis and Allies

That’s for sure not what I use, not saying that’s not it, im using ……B---- something T, ill look. If gothic works, then cool, its free.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Imperious:

Franklin Gothic Heavy is the font for Axis and Allies

Unfortuntaly the fonts used on the 1940 maps for either country names or seazone numbers aren’t close to Franklin Gothic Heavy.

• ?? Download any of my maps and check it out. It can’t be true.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Barbedor is the font.

Im going in tomorrow for my second print test.

• This is gonna be great! Looking forward to seeing some more land painted! :) Great work. Keep it up!

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@siredblood:

Barbedor is the font.

Thnx siredblood!!! Barbedor Heavy definitely is the font used on the OOB maps.

• Im glad you found it, the quality of doing this right will pay off in the end. Just take your time on doing this map right including the cartography of the land areas. You might even consider drawing some areas based on their actual shape ( think Norway, Spain, Italy, England, German coast and Baltic coastline).

Keep posting pictures of work in progress so we can give you feedback!

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks for the comments guys, I had a game planned today, but we canceled it, SOO that means its map painting time the entire weekend! Ive remasted the files so they are workable with no freezing.

@Imperious Leader, I think youll be proud of new coastlines! Pics tomorrow.

• I will be thinking of them all this day in anticipation. I think your file will be the all time best and hopefully you will provide versions for 1939 or 41,42

• '19

@Tjoek:

@siredblood:

Barbedor is the font.

Thnx siredblood!!! Barbedor Heavy definitely is the font used on the OOB maps.

I used Barbedor Heavy to fix some type on YG’s battle board graphic on his custom map, and the font was slightly heavier than the OOB weight. I’d guess that the OOB typeface was actually Barbedor Bold… but I haven’t found that available for download anywhere… the OOB typeface is definitely from the Barbedor family - good find whoever figured that out!

• '17 '16 Customizer

@siredblood:

That’s for sure not what I use, not saying that’s not it, im using ……B---- something T, ill look. If gothic works, then cool, its free.

@siredblood:

Barbedor is the font.

Im going in tomorrow for my second print test.

Correct its not Heavy (or at least I don’t use that), its T, in addition you have to add the FX of stroke +3 and alter the layout from 100 to 105 H and 100 to 110 W…. did I win?

That’s what I do anyway :P

I never corrected it wasn’t Heavy as I never tried it, maybe it worked better, I already had T set up.

Sorry I.L. I didn’t get to pics as I mentioned, I had some family issues over the weekend :(

Oh, and naturally youll have to adjust as necessary depending on the size of your project, if you blow up the file, naturally those specs will not work.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Coastlines are done, all islands are accurate now, was crazy how much the OOB art was wrong… islands not even in the right shape… the one they did do right, was pointing the wrong way lol. Im pretty excited about this map, I hope to be done in a couple weeks, hard part is over.

in addition to the Europe/Africa resize, the islands were slightly enlarged…  larger sea zones here and there… lots of stuff :)

• Map is looking good!  Can’t wait to see the terrain painted.

• Wow, thats really looking impressive!
    Also cant wait to see the finished version and I hope you will manage to keep the style and colours of the original board, tp preserve the “feeling” of it ^^

But the Coastlines and european enlargement looks fantastic!
    Also I especialy love Okinawa, compared to the strange dot it was before ^^

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m