Hospitals/Hospital Ships *Video*

• '18 '17 '16

This is my last house rule (for now).
    Cost-5 Purchased hospitals must be placed on one of your originally controlled territories or adjacent sea zones.
    Movement-1 (land hospital). Same as any ship, 2 or 3 if starting movement from a naval base (hospital ship).
    Initial Setup- Major powers get 2 hospitals and Minor powers get one. They can choose either type and place anywhere.

How they work;
    -Any infantry casualty (infantry, paratrooper, elite infantry) in the same territory or adjacent territory to a hospital when they were hit is set aside until the end of the combat stage.
    -Roll one D12 for each casualty (or 2 D6). A roll of 12 means that the unit doesn’t die and is placed in the hospital or hospital ship.
    -In the Repair Damaged Units phase of the following round the unit leaves the hospital. They can re-enter at the location of the hospital or enter on their home capital. If the hospital moves while they are there then they move with the hospital.
    -Neither the hospitals or the units in them can be attacked. The hospitals can’t be captured either.
    -Friendly infantry units can also use a nation’s hospitals. Enemy infantry units cannot.
    -There is no limit to number of units in a land hospital. There is a limit of 3 units on a hospital ship.
    -Note- Mechanized Infantry don’t qualify for a hospital. Those infantry are lost with the mech unit.

I picked up some hospital markers from HBG (on sale right now) and then painted some old transports red to use as hospital ships. I made a video for this rule as well as Railways and “The Spy”. Click on the link to view;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSz5Il0CRyE&t=3s

• Great video!

So my buddy bought some hospital tokens and hospital ship token from HBG, love them and love the idea.  We have been developing some rules governing them and, for the most part, are close to what you developed (never thought of the D12 - awesome!)  In our rules the hospital would be destroyed and any infantry in the hospital would be killed if the territory or sea zone was overrun.  However, we did not include any at the start of the game, you would have to buy one.  So my question, regarding your rules, is what happens to the hospital, hospital ship if this situation occurs?  Would it remain until the countries next turn and then have to move to friendly territory? Also, does the same rule apply for any purchased hospital/ship?

Thanks!

• '18 '17 '16

Both Hospitals and Ships are off limits to enemy fire. They can move in either the combat or non combat movement phase but not in both. You could move your hospital out of an enemy occupied territory and keep moving once per turn until you have it where you want it. They never are lost. For example, when China has lost it’s last man simply move the hospital down to India or the Middle East where your Ally can use it.

Those particular 12 sided dice work perfectly because of the symbol on them to mark a 12. It looks like a red cross symbol. You can get a set of them here;
    http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Amerika-Custom-Dice-D12-x6_p_2142.html

The reason I started the game with hospitals already is because they would have had these heading into a war, not waiting until someone got shot to think of buying some bandages. Also, I didn’t want to take any money away from the game that could be spent on weapons. I thought that most players wouldn’t bother buying them because either they couldn’t afford it ( like China) or they would just rather buy tanks so it would be a waste of time to make the rule and buy the pieces.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m