• '17 '16 Customizer

In the Pacific rule book, states, If Japan makes any unprovoked declaration of war against, ANZAC, UK, or US, US is given a one time payment of 30 IPC’s.

I didn’t see this rule in the Global section, is this a Pacific rule only? …… we always played with it, as we started with Pacific, but I was working on some new game aids, and noticed its not there.

So when playing Global, use or lose it? Thanks.

• Pacific only, indeed. As the “Political Situation” rules of Pacific are replaced by those of Global.

Also stated in the official FAQ:

@Pacifc:

Page 9, The Political Situation, The United States: This paragraph should read “The United States
    begins the game neutral. It may not declare war on Japan unless Japan first declares war on it or makes
    an unprovoked declaration of war against the United Kingdom or ANZAC. Following any such unprovoked
    declaration of war by Japan, the United States will receive an immediate one-time bonus payment of 30
    IPCs, representing the total mobilization and transfer of military assets within the continental United
    States. However, if the United States is still not at war with Japan by the Collect Income phase of its third
    turn, it may declare war on Japan at the beginning of that phase. This is an exception to the rules for
    declaring war (see “Declaring War,” page 11), which may normally be done only at the beginning of the
    Combat Move phase.” (Note that this change applies only to the Pacific rules, and not to the Global
    rules.)

HTH :-)

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks for the replies, my book don’t state that last part. I always thought it was a little weird about all the comments being the game is unbalanced. We’ve always played US gets the bonus and it seems pretty balanced… Does japan take the money islands and bring US into the war and give them 30 bucks or not. I think with all the posts about the unbalance, we’ll just keep the pacific rule in play. We actually just played again today, and it was tough.

• Anyone else tried to keep this rule for Global? I like the idea of this instead of a bid for the allies.

• '15 '14

@Erocco:

Anyone else tried to keep this rule for Global? I like the idea of this instead of a bid for the allies.

30 IPC one time after Japan declares war is way too little to overcome the Axis advantage. Even 30 IPCs as a bid at the beginning of the game shows to not be enough.

Have you ever tried the new balanced mode? It presents a smart way to overcome the Axis advantage by giving the Allies multiple additional NOs.
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=37883.0

• @panther Hi, sorry I am a bit slow on this topic for 1940 Pacific only version: So, if on Turn 2 Japan declares war on ONLY Uk/ANZAC- does the USA immediately get 30 extra more IPCs to purchase for their Turn 2?

• @mikemikemike In 1940 Pacific, yes. In 1940 Global, no.

Also keep in mind that in 1940 Pacific the US industrial complexes are still minor. It would take a declaration of war to upgrade them to major industrial complexes.

Again, the 30 IPC bonus only applies to 1940 Pacific and not to 1940 Global.

• @marshmallowofwar hi and thanks. so for Pacific game only: the USA gets an immediate 30 points of IPC to spend on that phase 1 build of the first turn after Japan declares war Only on UK/ANZAC… but the factory is only Minor- so, can’t put more than 3 on until converted to Major after USA declares war on Japan in its combat phase?

• @mikemikemike said in US 30 IPC bonus question:

so for Pacific game only: the USA gets an immediate 30 points of IPC to spend on that phase 1 build of the first turn after Japan declares war Only on UK/ANZAC…

Correct.

but the factory is only Minor- so, can’t put more than 3 on until converted to Major after USA declares war on Japan in its combat phase?

Incorrect. The US IC does not start the game as a minor one in Pacific (or Europe). That rule applies only to Global.

• @krieghund said in [US 30 IPC bonus question](/forums

but the factory is only Minor- so, can’t put more than 3 on until converted to Major after USA declares war on Japan in its combat phase?

Incorrect. The US IC does not start the game as a minor one in Pacific (or Europe). That rule applies only to Global.

Correct! Serves me right for writing about two games at once.

• '18

@shadowhawk My group played with 30 IPC bonus in global not understanding it was eliminated in global. The games with the 30 IPC deterrent were much better than without.

• @erocco my groups games were much more enjoyable keeping the 30IPC deterrent in place!

• @mikemikemike Ok, thanks for all the good information. Here is a wrinkle: IF Japan declares war on UK/ANZAC, and the USA gets an immediate 30 point IPC ‘bonus’ at the very start of the next turn… what happens if the USA does NOT declare war on Japan the next turn or several turns afterwards and Japan likewise does not declare war on the USA… does the USA stay at the pre-war, non-bonus IPC levels? Even after they get the 30 point immediate bonus…

• @aaron_the_warmonger said in US 30 IPC bonus question:

@shadowhawk My group played with 30 IPC bonus in global not understanding it was eliminated in global. The games with the 30 IPC deterrent were much better than without.

How so?

• @squirecam It slowed the game down. Japan didn’t go all out because the first two times they declared war early, germany got smashed with that bonus. We probably weren’t as good as we are now, so maybe that is really the issue, but when you see germany get plowed twice, it makes you wary. Our games ended up with a lot of posturing and slow progress.

• @mikemikemike said in US 30 IPC bonus question:

Here is a wrinkle: IF Japan declares war on UK/ANZAC, and the USA gets an immediate 30 point IPC ‘bonus’ at the very start of the next turn… what happens if the USA does NOT declare war on Japan the next turn or several turns afterwards and Japan likewise does not declare war on the USA… does the USA stay at the pre-war, non-bonus IPC levels? Even after they get the 30 point immediate bonus…

Yes.

• Hi,
    About the US 30 IPC bonus in Pacific 40 -only :

Do I understand correctly that from the moment the US is at war, it gets 30 IPCs EACH TURN as its National objective bonus for “Major shift from peacetime to wartime economy” as long as it controls the Western US territory, ON TOP of the official FAQ/errata immediate one-time bonus of 30 IPCs following any unprovoked declaration of war by Japan ?

NB: I think I understood well that the immediate bonus is intended to provide immediate IPCs available for the US in phase 1 of the same turn as the JP declaration of war, whereas the national bonus will only boost the income in phase 6, to be spent in phase 1 of the next US turn.

Apologies for a probably obvious question, I am playing alone at the moment with a 2009 copy of AA Pacific, so I have to learn it all from scratch collecting the rules downloads and grasping here and there from the youtube tuto’s that many of you have posted
    Grateful for all :pray:

• @Hakuin Yes, you understand correctly.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m