• Correct. The rules we are using state that Russia can attack any non-European Country at any time.

In this case, Russia attacked Mongolia on Turn 1. Russia will not be able to attack the eastern-most Mongolian territory until after Japan has moved into it.

If Japan moves into it, ‘activating’ Mongolia, and then moves original Japanese troops out, is it considered an Act of War if Russia than attacks the original-mongolian troops that have been ‘activated’ by the Japanese?

• Yes   If Russia attacks the Capital ( 1 inf ) and wins the battle, they can move in non combat and activate the 2 inf in Buyant-uhaa that becomes Russian troops. the rerst of Mong territories are now Pro-either side until they are activated.

• May I suggest that all discussions starts with what version of the game is in question.

Would save everyone a lot of time…

• HBG’s 36 and 39 2nd Edition game discussion can go to there site or face book page.

• '13

The answer from SS is not correct.

I’m looking at the latest v1.2 (10/16) rules and setups here: http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Download-Rules-for-GW-1936_c_660.html.

In table 4-4 (p.21): Mongolia aligns with the USSR if anyone declares war on it (per 8.1 the first attack is also a DOW). The v1.2 Neutrals Ref Card under the Mongolia 1939 setup affirms this with a note saying, “If Mongolia is attacked it Aligns with USSR.”

Also in table 4-4, it says that Siam will align with Japan and all other minor powers will align with Germany if attacked by the USSR. I strongly suspect this is an oversight – Mongolia should obviously align with Japan, not Germany.

If the USSR attacks any zone in Mongolia on T1, the remaining land zones and troops are immediately aligned to Japan. Rule 4.4 (p.20) says “Once Minor Powers are Aligned they become fully part of the Major Power and cease to exist as a separate country.” For all practical purposes, you can put Japanese markers on all remaining Mongolian zones and replace the Mongolian troops with Japanese troops.

Should the USSR attack any other Mongolian zones, they are now definitely at war with Japan.

• Correct Boarder Skirmish’s do not count for this, and also if you choose to play with the Manchukuo expansion the rules change slightly

• @PanzerPenguin:

USSR attacks Mongolia Turn 1.

Japan moves troops into BUYANT-UHAA on turn 2, turning the Mongolians Japanese.

If USSR attacks the Mongolians, they are then at war with Japan?

@SS:

Your question could mean 3 things do to you not being more specific in what Mongolian territories are being attacked.

@PanzerPenguin:

USSR attacks Mongolia Turn 1.

Japan moves troops into BUYANT-UHAA on turn 2, turning the Mongolians Japanese.
    Correct
    If USSR attacks the Mongolians, they are then at war with Japan?

No but if  Russia attacks the Japan troops in one of the Mongolian territory then yes they are at war with Japan.

@PanzerPenguin:

Correct. The rules we are using state that Russia can attack any non-European Country at any time.

In this case, Russia attacked Mongolia on Turn 1. Russia will not be able to attack the eastern-most Mongolian territory until after Japan has moved into it.

If Japan moves into it, ‘activating’ Mongolia, and then moves original Japanese troops out, is it considered an Act of War if Russia than attacks the original-mongolian troops that have been ‘activated’ by the Japanese?

The question was for the G39 1ST EDITION GAME. Not the 36 game. So cb4 is wrong.@cb4:

The answer from SS is not correct.

I’m looking at the latest v1.2 (10/16) rules and setups here: http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Download-Rules-for-GW-1936_c_660.html.

In table 4-4 (p.21): Mongolia aligns with the USSR if anyone declares war on it (per 8.1 the first attack is also a DOW). The v1.2 Neutrals Ref Card under the Mongolia 1939 setup affirms this with a note saying, “If Mongolia is attacked it Aligns with USSR.”

Also in table 4-4, it says that Siam will align with Japan and all other minor powers will align with Germany if attacked by the USSR. I strongly suspect this is an oversight – Mongolia should obviously align with Japan, not Germany.

If the USSR attacks any zone in Mongolia on T1, the remaining land zones and troops are immediately aligned to Japan. Rule 4.4 (p.20) says “Once Minor Powers are Aligned they become fully part of the Major Power and cease to exist as a separate country.” For all practical purposes, you can put Japanese markers on all remaining Mongolian zones and replace the Mongolian troops with Japanese troops.

Should the USSR attack any other Mongolian zones, they are now definitely at war with Japan.

• '13

My apologies - missed the reference to 1st edition. My answer is correct for the latest v1.2 rules.

cb4

• Its all cool. Just a misunderstanding. :wink:

• '13

I was really glad someone asked because we had a similar question since USSR just did its T1 of our first game. Had to edit my post about 3 times because I was searching the rules and setups while I was replying. All’s well that end’s well :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m