• This is my first post here, but I had a rules question and figured this is where the experts were.
    This is regarding the Revised (2004) edition of the game, using the out-of-the-box rule set.

Imagine, if you will, I have done combat moves to have two different sea battles.
    Sea Battle A: 1 carrier, 1 fighter vs 1 enemy submarine
    Sea Battle B: 1 carrier, 2 fighters vs 1 enemy submarine
    Pretend all the fighters have used up all of their movement points to get to their respective sea zones.  They are planning on landing on the carriers that I moved in.
    I also have a 3rd carrier that I am wanting to move elsewhere in non-combat, but it is within range of both sea battles.

Combat phase begins and I resolve Sea Battle A.  The submarine gets a hit which can only be taken by the carrier, and my fighter kills the enemy submarine (sea zone is now friendly).
    In this edition, air units complete their moves directly after combat and “You must have a carrier move to pick up a fighter that would end its combat move in a sea zone. … You must declare now that the carrier will move to that zone during the carrier’s noncombat move phase, and you must follow through unless the fighter or the carrier is destroyed before then.” (Rulebook, page 18)

So my 3rd carrier must now be declared that it is going to move the sea zone where Sea Battle A took place.

Now, I resolve Sea Battle B.  The same thing happens.  The submarine and carrier are sunk and I have two fighter planes in the air with no place to land.
    Since I resolved Sea Battle A first, and already declared my intention to move my third carrier there, does that mean I cannot change my mind and move it to the Sea Battle B zone?  Because I’d much rather catch 2 of my fighters than 1 of them.  Or am I committed because of the order in which I chose to resolve the battles?

Obviously, what I want is usually opposite of what my opponent wants.  So that’s why I’m asking whether the rules allow me to choose, or whether the declaration to move takes precedence and I cannot pick which planes to save.

==
    As a second question, but very much related:
    Imagine that we had a sea battle where we moved in 2 carriers and 3 fighters (X, Y, and Z).  Two of the fighters (X and Y) have used all their movement, but one of the fighters (Z) has 1 movement point left.  Again, all carriers are sunk and we are left with planes in the air.  We only have 1 carrier that can move non-combat to catch some of those planes.
    Option 1: We declare we are moving our carrier in to the zone where the battle took place and therefore catch fighters X and Y.  (Fighter Z will have no valid landing space and be destroyed.)
    Option 2: We move fighter Z to an adjacent space and declare our carrier will move to that space and catch Z.  (Fighters X and Y will have no valid landing space and be destroyed.)
    Option 1 catches more planes, but option 2 may be advantageous to us depending on how the board looks.  So the question here is, must I try and catch the MOST planes, or move carriers to at least catch 1 plane each?

• Official Q&A

Welcome, MidSpeck!

@MidSpeck:

Since I resolved Sea Battle A first, and already declared my intention to move my third carrier there, does that mean I cannot change my mind and move it to the Sea Battle B zone?  Because I’d much rather catch 2 of my fighters than 1 of them.  Or am I committed because of the order in which I chose to resolve the battles?

You are committed because of the order in which you chose to resolve the battles.

@MidSpeck:

So the question here is, must I try and catch the MOST planes, or move carriers to at least catch 1 plane each?

The carrier must move to allow some fighters to land, but it’s your choice as to which one(s).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m