• '17 '16 Customizer

Do you have models for the trains/rail lines you mentioned? Even a sketch? Are there mechanics for this worked already worked out? I find the idea intriguing, but haven’t heard much talk about railroads elsewhere

Not yet, GeneralHandGranade made a topic in house rules, which I liked a lot, just with one exception, which is the train unit I want to add to his track idea, I think his track idea was pretty flawless. Personally I want a train unit to act as the transport, probably same stats, 1 guy/tank, 2 guys, etc. I have some rules for it, ill go into on the house rules if I decided to add it.

Good news for this though, looks like im going to have access to a CNC to make some molds, I just have to attend a class first. Ill be going to the site later in the week for a walk through. If ill be able to tool my own molds, this project just got really epic. Once I know for sure, which im 99% sure, ill update the pics of the Facilities.

As for the 3d print option, fk that, this will be 100% better.

• Oh man. If you can tool molds and have an injection place loned up i might have some jobs for you. Lmao.

• '17 '16 Customizer

@IWillNeverGrowUp:

Oh man. If you can tool molds and have an injection place loned up i might have some jobs for you. Lmao.

Ya for sure, ill have access to a Morgan Industries injection molder, Model  G-100T, this also saves me from having to buy the CAD program, I can use theirs on site, in addition, I guess its set up to make molds for their machine. Not sure if they are auto release, or ill have to manually do it, either way, im pretty jazzed… though auto release would be epic, set a box under my work space, and let it fill up lol.

Ill be in touch soon, later in the week ill know about this class I have to take, they said its just a 1 dayer (they don’t want me breaking their stuff I guess lol)… im sure there is a schedule though, hopefully not too far away.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Sorry for the delay, I took on too many projects at the same time :P

I mentioned earlier (not sure where) I was planning on a train unit, I decided to make a station instead. I really liked the idea of rail ways GeneralHandGrenade talked about in House Rules. I really thought about it, and for me, I just want a facility marker, which will act the same as Air/Naval … giving ground units +1 movement. It is weird if you think about it, Air/Naval have a +1, but no ground? Anyway I thought what the hell, easy House rule… +1 movement.

So here is the WIPs as of now, redid the Naval. I was going to add more detail, but I started too, and I just didn’t like it, I actually like the planeness of the facilities.

I was trying to have these underway by now, but time just slips away, and im glad I waited, I like the naval base better now.

In case you missed my vid of the painted units, here is the link… it shows the current Air/Naval bases, you can see the size and how it looks in game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojggR9lrFVg&t=76s

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Awesome! Those are sweet!

• '17 '16 Customizer

@LHoffman:

Thanks LHoffman! Im not 100% sold on the Naval base (the others im sure), but I know it will be a crane thing with a dock.

• @siredblood:

@LHoffman:

Thanks LHoffman! Im not 100% sold on the Naval base (the others im sure), but I know it will be a crane thing with a dock.

Definitely have to work on the crane. Looks far too breakable and hard to mold for sure.

• '18 '17 '16

I think it should be a motorized working crane that can lift my battleships off the board. There should be blinking lights too. And longshoremen who take long breaks.
    Actually no, I like those docks the way they are. I liked the old style too that pokes out into the water, it reminds me of my dock at the cottage which I always miss in the dead of winter and can’t wait to get back there.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Its actually a hard piece (naval), I don’t know what it is, but I cant seem to get it…. I think its the lack of an idea for it lol… got the train station on the first try, literally took less the 5 min to make the 3d model, and im happy with it 100%.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

I love the idea of 3d pieces to replace the cardboard tokens. I like your airfield, naval base (first design with two docks) and major factor. I’m okay with the minor factory although to me the dimensions don’t really work when you remove one ‘roof triangle’.

Your second option for the naval base (the crane) got me confused. It seems not to resemble what you want to depict in the first place. Might be just me.

• '17 '16 Customizer

@Tjoek:

I love the idea of 3d pieces to replace the cardboard tokens. I like your airfield, naval base (first design with two docks) and major factor. I’m okay with the minor factory although to me the dimensions don’t really work when you remove one ‘roof triangle’.

Your second option for the naval base (the crane) got me confused. It seems not to resemble what you want to depict in the first place. Might be just me.

when you play AAA online, the naval base is a crane, why I was toying with it. Looking at era naval bases, its just a grip of docks… I thought maybe a crane thing would make it easier to grab. I don’t quit things till Im happy, so well get it :)

Im actually going to see about molds tomorrow. They want me to take some classes, but I found someone there who will do it for me for 50 bucks + plus material (super small mold). That’s cheaper then the classes I would have to take.

• @Tjoek:

I agree with Tjoek.

Perhaps for the Minor IC use a simple peaked roof instead of the double triangle? That might solve proportion issues and quick recognition.

The naval base, IMO, looked better without the crane as well. 2 or 3 docks would look better to me vs the single dock and crane (which I honestly think would break and/or not be able to be pulled from a mold very easily/cleanly).

Looking good though! I like the creativity and work being put into these.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks for the feedback guys, im on it, would like to wrap this up today, so we can start tooling

• '17 '16 Customizer

I agree changing the roof on one, makes it easier to distinguish. Went back to old dock style, and added track rails on the station (im sure the station is just pretty much for me lol). This is the first time im happy with all of them.

Hopefully we can move on and get some tooling done :P

Im happy to take more crit, crit is what gives us better ideas! … but if you have something to say, say it soon, would like to get this rolling.

Thanks for all your input, they have gotten better imo.

• Looks great to me!

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

That’s impressive! Your minor factory looks like a real factory now. I would consider to do a complete redesign of the major factory as well. This now looks a bit more like a ‘toy’ compared to the other more realistic models.

• @Tjoek:

That’s impressive! Your minor factory looks like a real factory now. I would consider to do a complete redesign of the major factory as well. This now looks a bit more like a ‘toy’ compared to the other more realistic models.

A lot of larger factories, especially in Europe, in the 30’s and 40’s had those peaked roofs with windows in them to let the light in. That’s why they were designed that way in the first place for the original A&A and have carried on through.

I say keep it for that reason alone.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Im starting the CAD file now, so hopefully this time next week we are ready to tool, then after that, its BAM… Facilities galore :P

• I couldnt find your pieces on iwngu. How did the final ones come out? Im interested in getting a set of naval and air facilities if its doable.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m