Possible software issue with Java on iMac

• '19 '17 '16

Hi, all. I’m trying to run TripleA_1.9.0.0.3266, Java version 1.8.0_111, on a late 2013 iMac running mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite.

When conducting a naval attack the prompt to ask me if I wish to scramble fighters continuously flashes on and off and doesn’t allow me to click on any response.  In fact I can’t get the prompt to stop flashing unless I shut down AAA altogether.

Has anyone else run into this issue, and, if so, how did you solve it?

I did not have any issues in the old version of Triple A but I can’t seem to get around this issue in the new version.

Thank you.

• '19 '17 '16

I should also mention that my girlfriend, as a test, downloaded AAA 1.9 on her brand new Mac Book, which is loaded with the latest versions of everything, and she has the exact same problem.

This makes me think the problem might be a bug in 1.9.

If anyone has any ideas I’d appreciate your feedback.

• No Mac here, so no chance to reproduce it.

Does this happen everytime in any game or only in a special situation in a special game?
    Do you have the latest version of the map installed?

Is there an error message shown in a console window?
    Please look into the installation directory of triplea. You might find a file named ‘error.log’, there.
    Please attach this file here, if present.

• '19 '17 '16

@P@nther:

No Mac here, so no chance to reproduce it.

Does this happen everytime in any game or only in a special situation in a special game?

Please look into the installation directory of triplea. You might find a file named ‘error.log’, there.

Nothing special. It happens anytime and every time there is a scramble.

I downloaded 1.9 from this site:  http://www.triplea-game.org/download/

I even removed and re-loaded it a couple times, so I assume I’m using the latest maps.

No error message in the console window.  It’s just the normal window with the normal scramble options, except that it flashes on and off like a strobe light and it’s become impossible to interface with the game after that. It has to be force quit.

I’ll ask my girlfriend how to find the installation directory. I’ll let you know once I get a hold of her.

Thanks.

• '17 '16 '15

yea i noticed the same thing asked at the triplea sight and didn’t get a answer

• @barney:

yea i noticed the same thing asked at the triplea sight and didn’t get a answer

Where exactly did you ask?

Here is the respective issue at GitHub:
    https://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/issues/1269

Have you found an error.log-file in your installation directory?

• '19 '17 '16

I guess I can report a similar issue on Linux.

If you minimise the scramble box, you can’t click anywhere to get it back. Only Alt-Tab can find it. Has a perfectly usable workaround though.

• @simon33:

I guess I can report a similar issue on Linux.

If you minimise the scramble box, you can’t click anywhere to get it back. Only Alt-Tab can find it. Has a perfectly usable workaround though.

Interesting, on Windows you cannot minimize it.

• '17 '16 '15

@Panther on the tripleadev forum under announcements the one about macs. It was on my sis’s machine that I noticed. I’m usually on linux but just wanted to let StuckTojo know that it wasn’t an isolated occurrence

hadn’t seen the github response but yea that’s what I encountered. I know it was the latest java she was using, 1.8 or w/e it was

• '19 '17 '16

I think on Linux you couldn’t minimise it in version 1.809.

Not true. Looks like it depends on which linux. Lubuntu lets you minimise it while I would guess Ubuntu doesn’t because I can remember having to move the scramble box down to the bottom of the screen on another computer and pretty sure it wouldn’t have been a windows one.

• '19 '17 '16

@barney:

@Panther on the tripleadev forum under announcements the one about macs. It was on my sis’s machine that I noticed. I’m usually on linux but just wanted to let StuckTojo know that it wasn’t an isolated occurrence

hadn’t seen the github response but yea that’s what I encountered. I know it was the latest java she was using, 1.8 or w/e it was

Thanks, barney.  That’s good to know.

• Barney, do you have an error.log file in your installation directory?

• '17 '16 '15

@Panther idk I’ll check with sis next chance I get maybe this weekend

• '19 '17 '16

@P@nther:

No Mac here, so no chance to reproduce it.

Stuck Tojo’s girlfriend here: I can’t find any installation directory or error.log file. I looked at the package contents of the Triple A version folder that is giving us the problems and also did a computer-wide search for ‘error.log’ but no luck anywhere, even in the Console messages. We’re not sure where to go from here…

• '19 '17 '16

Hi,
    Yeah, I’ve just booted up my Macbook into OS X Lion and I can see an issue too. Scramble box flickers on and off. Sometimes it stops after half a dozen times, sometimes not. One time I got it to stop by pressing command-Q and saying no to the quit box.

I’ll see if this info is helpful at all to the developers. I think this problem is probably beyond my (minimal) knowledge of Java!

• I downloaded the new version to my Mac today and also had the same issue with the flashing scramble box.

• @Boondock:

I downloaded the new version to my Mac today and also had the same issue with the flashing scramble box.

Yes, the developpers are aware of this issue on Macs. It’s under investigation.

See
    https://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/issues/1269

• '17 '16 '15

saw simon33 had it working for him over at league discussion. sounds as if it’s fixed.

https://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/commit/01d88c6548bbc24dfb25a439a5296a3a31e94762

just need to dl it again

http://www.triplea-game.org/download/

• '19 '17 '16

Might have spoken too soon. Can still see the problem.

• '17 '16 '15

bummer
    hopefully he’s making some progress anyway

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m