Naval Movement from a Newly Hostile Sea Zone

• '19 '17 '16

Hello, all:

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.

Here’s the situation:

Say the Allies alone have ships in sz 6 (surrounding Japan).  On their next turn, Japan buys destroyers and deploys them there, making it a combat zone.

On the Allies next turn they move SOME of those ships out of the zone to avoid combat, but also leave some remaining in sz 6 to destroy the new Japanese destroyers.

AAA allows those ships that moved out of sz 6 at the beginning of the combat phase (but not used in the battle) to also move during the non-combat phase, so long as they still have movements left (i.e. they only moved one space during the combat phase to avoid the ensuing battle, and still have one of their two spaces left).

Is this a bug in AAA or is that actually a legal move. I’ve done it before and have seen others do it before, so I assumed it was legal, but maybe it’s not.

Does anyone know for sure?

• '21 '20 '18 '17 '16 '15 TripleA

That must be a bug.

From the Europe 2nd ed. rules:

Sea Units Starting in Hostile Sea Zones
    At the beginning of the Combat Move phase, you might already have sea units (and air units on carriers) in spaces containing enemy units that were there at the start of your turn. For example, an enemy might have built new surface warships in a sea zone where you have sea units. When your turn comes around again, you are sharing that sea zone with enemy forces.

If you are sharing a sea zone with surface warships (not submarines and/or transports) belonging to a power with which you are at war, this situation requires you to do one of the following:

•  Remain in the sea zone and conduct combat,
    •  Leave the sea zone, load units if desired, and conduct combat elsewhere,
    •  Leave the sea zone, load units, and return to the same sea zone to conduct combat (you can’t load units while in a hostile sea zone), or
    •  Leave the sea zone and conduct no combat.

Once these sea units have moved and/or participated in combat, they can’t move or participate in the Noncombat Move phase of the turn.

• '19 '17 '16

Thank you, Freh.

It’s good to get that all figured out for certain.

• AAA allows those ships that moved out of sz 6 at the beginning of the combat phase (but not used in the battle) to also move during the non-combat phase, so long as they still have movements left (i.e. they only moved one space during the combat phase to avoid the ensuing battle, and still have one of their two spaces left).

Is this a bug in AAA or is that actually a legal move. I’ve done it before and have seen others do it before, so I assumed it was legal, but maybe it’s not.

Does anyone know for sure?

Yes, it is a bug in TripleA - but it is stated in the game notes included with the map.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m