• Hey Hey, First Post.

I used to play Axis and Allies as a kid and recently got the Global setup and have run into a question, regarding the 1 move Rule for fights left without their original landing zone.

E.G.

Japan takes Borneo on the first turn and brings down a carrier to support the transport, and lands a plane on it. Then on Britain’s turn they are able to destroy the carrier but the plane survives the battle. Being that this plane only has one space to find a landing zone, I would put the plane onto Borneo, however what pops into my mind is if this is allowable since the territory was taken just during Japans last turn and if that rule still applies, for whichever reason, my guess that it is technically not Japans turn at  that moment, but Britain’s  turn.

My thoughts is that the plane should be allowed to land onto Borneo, as during Japans turn the player was able to find a safe landing for the plane, and it was the attack by the British player, on the British Players turn, caused this plane to no longer have a place to land. Also that the movement space allotted for this scenario is only one space anyways, if it was the normal movement the plane could land in Siam or somewhere on the Chinese Coast.

To me it seems a little crippling to the Japan player, or whoever else would be in the situation, because they rolled out and won the battle, now to lose the plane to not being able to land on Borneo.

Anyways thanks if anyone has any thoughts, I have been thinking about this one a couple of times and would love to hear someones opinion.

Duthman

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

In the scenario you’re describing, the UK fighter cannot land on Borneo because that is Japanese-held territory.

The Japanese plane, on the other hand, CAN land in Borneo as that is friendly territory. The one-move rule in this case fully applies to the Japanese fighter.

The one-move rule applies when the figher would have had a landing space on a carrier, but the carrier is damaged or destroyed. The fighter may then proceed to an adjacent FRIENDLY territory or sea zone that requires one move to land. If the fighter can move to another sea zone containing an undamaged friendly carrier (with space for the plane to land), then the fighter is safe. If there is an adjacent friendly island in the same sea zone, the fighter can land. In your example, Borneo is friendly to the Japanese fighter.

Furthermore, the UK fighter cannot even make the attack because it has no valid landing zone at all unless there is an allied carrier in the sea zone 43 or one of the adjacent sea zones. You cannot send the fighter on an attack without a valid planned landing zone – you could not, for instance, plan for the plane to move to sea zone 37 and then “glide” into Malaya.

EDIT: The last paragraph applies out of box setup. If you bid a carrier for UK Pacific, then the UK would be able to make the attack.

Marsh

• Yep the Japanese ftr can land on Borneo. It is no longer Japans turn and Borneo was friendly to you when the Brits attacked your carrier.

To Marsh I don’t think he ever mentioned anything about landing a British plane?

Just avoiding confusion :)

Marsh

• Hey

Thanks people I was wondering about this

Duthman

Further cool stuff: Just because the Japanese fighter CAN land in Borneo doesn’t mean that it must land in Borneo. If there were a Japanese carrier in an adjacent sea zone with room to land the fighter, the fighter could move to that sea zone and fill the spot on the carrier. The landing zone chosen in this scenario could have tactical and strategic considerations.

Marsh

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Also, don’t forget that the Allied fighter can land on neutral allied dutch or French territory as well, even if you have not declared control and placed a marker there on behalf of the allies.  So, from the beginning of the game ANZAC and UK fighters can land on FiC and the Money Islands.  This opens up a lot of choices and its not obvious to some players.

US fighters cannot land on Australia or allied territory until the US is at war, however.

• Hey

Just to clarify my question was about the Japanese Plane landing on Borneo, because the island was just taken on Japans last turn during their attack on turn one, I was wondering if there has been any debate since it has technically not been Japans Next turn that it would be allowed to land that plane on Borneo, rather that it is the “mid way” point in the Order of Play, being the British Players turn, and that the plane has now lost it’s original landing zone (the carrier).

I understand that now at this point this is a friendly territory and the Japanese Plane can land on Borneo, my question is regarding the “cannot land planes on newly captured territories” rule  and if this rule (the one move space for fighters, which is the only movement rule in the rule books that does not happen on your turn) somewhat conflicts with one another. So to put it in a question do any of you think that this is a conflict in the rules regarding the eligibility for this plane to land on this newly, or (not so newly) captured territory of Japan? because it has technically not been Japans next turn that then allows planes to land in a newly captured territory, and it is also happening in a “grey area” between the Japanese Players turns.

Overall I agree with what has been said, I hope this has not been too confusing. I was just wondering if this has come into anyones awareness or even possibly happened in a game that lead to an debate.

Thanks

Duthman

• '21 '20 '18 '17

As soon as Japan’s turn is over, it can land the planes.  The rule only applies during the capturing powers turn.  If the US takes a territory, the UK may land planes on it shortly afterwards.

The only exception would be if you say had a US carrier holding UK planes next to a newly captured US territory (say Normandy), and somehow, the carrier was damaged during the US combat turn.  Then, the UK planes could not land on the adjacent US newly captured territory, but they could land on UK or US territory held at the beginning of the turn.

As soon as the US turn is over, when it is the UK turn, the UK planes can fly onto Normandy and chill with the US units.  This is how you cover your invasions.

It does not take an entire turn.  The only situation where that might appear true is with placing an industrial complex.  You cannot place the complex unit your next turn.  If you are recapturing an industrial complex, you cannot deploy units there…until your NEXT turn.

• @taamvan:

As soon as Japan’s turn is over, it can land the planes.� � The rule only applies during the capturing powers turn.� � � If the US takes a territory, the UK may land planes on it shortly afterwards.

The only exception would be if you say had a US carrier holding UK planes next to a newly captured US territory (say Normandy), and somehow, the carrier was damaged during the US combat turn.� � Then, the UK planes could not land on the adjacent US newly captured territory, but they could land on UK or US territory held at the beginning of the turn.� �

As soon as the US turn is over, when it is the UK turn, the UK planes can fly onto Normandy and chill with the US units.� � This is how you cover your invasions.

It does not take an entire turn.� � The only situation where that might appear true is with placing an industrial complex.� � You cannot place the complex unit your next turn.� � � If you are recapturing an industrial complex, you cannot deploy units there…until your NEXT turn.

taamvan
    I know this is off point, but……
    If it is the US combat turn the UK plane on a US carrier would be considered cargo and wouldn’t get the option of moving one space if the carrier was dinged, or sunk. If the US carrier was damaged the UK plane would be trapped on the carrier until it is repaired. If the US carrier is sunk the UK plane would also go down (as cargo).

Duthman
    As far as the rules you are referring to as maybe being in conflict with each other….that is not the case. The rule for Japan needing to have owned a territory or have it be friendly to them from the beginning of their turn to land air units, is for that Japanese turn. It does not mean for the entire round of play until Japans next turn. So when the UK takes its turn Borneo (being Japanese) would be a possible landing spot for the Japanese ftr in the scenario you first posted.

Now if say the territory in question (for landing spot) was also being attacked by the UK then it could be a different story (say a coastal territory attacked from an adjacent territory). Landing the plane would have to wait until all combat was complete (as normal in the NCM). If the territory was still under Japanese control then the Japanese ftr could land there, but if the UK took the territory in question then obviously the plane can’t land there.

• Hey Hey Hey

Thanks for the response and the clarification everyone!

Duthman

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m