Slashing the deck UK/US bombing campaign

• '19 '17 '16

Haven’t read the whole thread but I’m confused as to why the airbase on Malta was removed in 2nd ed.

• @simon33:

Haven’t read the whole thread but I’m confused as to why the airbase on Malta was removed in 2nd ed.

Strangely enough I think both the Malta and Gibraltar (especially Gib) gave the allies an advantage (hindsight is wonderful lol). The Gib air base made it too easy for the allies to start building a protected invasion fleet, Gib being the stepping stone for both US and UK to get into Europe. Malta as mention before basically gave the Allies a carrier in the Med, again to keep the fleet and landing force safe.

Either of them could be taken by the axis, but that is generally short lived. Honestly returning those air bases to the set-up might be enough to balance things out. The Gib airbase gives the allies a great staging point with air cover. It can also allow the allies to come over earlier so it would put more pressure on Axis to build Atlantic defenses earlier then they do now.

• '19 '17 '16

There was one on Gibraltar too? Perhaps that was going too far. That meant an invasion fleet never needed to leave the protection of an airbase until they hit Rome.

• @simon33:

There was one on Gibraltar too? Perhaps that was going too far. That meant an invasion fleet never needed to leave the protection of an airbase until they hit Rome.

Exactly, that’s why they were both removed, but now the consensuses is that the allies are under powered and need a bid. The German bmr strat “Dark Sky’s” seems to push the Axis advantage to the limit. An airbase added back to Gib at set-up could give the allies what they need to push back, and reduce or eliminate the bid.

An air base at Gib (has a ftr) probably makes the Germans think twice about hitting the 91 cruiser too.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I’m not sure an airbase would prevent the Germans from hitting sea zone 91 unless a destroyer also magically appears in sea zone 91…

Marsh

• '19 '17 '16

@WILD:

@simon33:

Exactly, that’s why they were both removed, but now the consensuses is that the allies are under powered and need a bid. The German bmr strat “Dark Sky’s” seems to push the Axis advantage to the limit. An airbase added back to Gib at set-up could give the allies what they need to push back, and reduce or eliminate the bid.

An air base at Gib (has a ftr) probably makes the Germans think twice about hitting the 91 cruiser too.

An airbase on Malta only is not as useful as on Gibraltar and does not affect game balance as drastically.

• @simon33:

@WILD:

@simon33:

An airbase on Malta only is not as useful as on Gibraltar and does not affect game balance as drastically.

Yea, but most people are using a 20+ IPC unit bid, and the Med seems to be where much of it gets placed (which is very drastic IMO). So maybe a 15 IPC airbase for Gib doesn’t seem that drastic and brings some balance back. It won’t effect the opening turn that much, but makes a big difference once the US gets into the game. I remember the early days when there was an AB at both Gib and Malta and it made a difference for the allies.

Just saying the next time you play bid an AB at both Gib and Malta to try it out.

• @Marshmallow:

I’m not sure an airbase would prevent the Germans from hitting sea zone 91 unless a destroyer also magically appears in sea zone 91…

Marsh

I disagree, often times the Germans send just a sub to sZ91 hoping to hit the cruiser sinking it so it can’t return fire, or maybe it goes a couple rounds if both miss. An air base allows the ftr to also scramble so even if the sub hits the cruiser the sub could be killed by the ftr, and it is unlikely to go more then one round.

Edit: Marsh is right the scrambled ftr couldn’t hit the attacking sub w/o a def destroyer in the battle

• '17 '16

I dont understand Wild Bill.
    A scrambled plane cannot hit sub without a DD.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@Baron:

This.

Marsh

• @Marshmallow:

@Baron:

This.

Marsh

Yeah my mistake. I was thinking the plane could hit the sub, but it can’t w/o a def destroyer.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m