Young Grasshopper's G40 House Rules

• @GeneralHandGrenade:

That would give Japan a guaranteed point if they chose to take it, Fiera. When you consider the amount of ships in the opening setup for the 2 nations, Japan could wipe out every US ship in the Pacific by the second turn no problem.

No offense GHG, but how long does it take UK to get the Africa token if they use the Indian fleet on Ethiopia and go Torento?
    You could either go early for the Armada token or forget about it.

@Young:

As a foot note… this token was meant to be difficult for the Axis.

We compared it with the Liberation token, and thougt a liberation of Sydney to be easier, espacially as Japan also has to defend Caroline Islands (and if those lost Philippines & Shanghai) and of course Tokio.

• Sponsor

With my experience in going after these victory tokens, here is my assessment of the difficulty level involved with each… 1 being the easiest to achieve, and 5 being the hardest to achieve.

Axis Powers

London - 3
    Moscow - 3

Sydney

Calcutta
      Africa

Europe

Pacific - 4
      Supremacy

Economy

Allied Powers

Berlin

Tokyo

Rome

Paris

Africa - 1
    Philippines

Asia

Liberation

Supremacy
  • '18 '17 '16

@Fiera:

@GeneralHandGrenade:

That would give Japan a guaranteed point if they chose to take it, Fiera. When you consider the amount of ships in the opening setup for the 2 nations, Japan could wipe out every US ship in the Pacific by the second turn no problem.

No offense GHG, but how long does it take UK to get the Africa token if they use the Indian fleet on Ethiopia and go Torento?
    You could either go early for the Armada token or forget about it.

@Young:

As a foot note… this token was meant to be difficult for the Axis.

We compared it with the Liberation token, and thougt a liberation of Sydney to be easier, espacially as Japan also has to defend Caroline Islands (and if those lost Philippines & Shanghai) and of course Tokio.

Fair point on the Africa Token, Fiera. The Sydney Liberation Token is an unlikely one to get because it probably isn’t such a good idea to spend the resources for Japan to acquire the Sydney Token in the first place, unless Japan already has all of the other ones within it’s reach. If that’s the case then Sydney liberation is the least of the Allies worries.

• with philippines being only a 2 on difficulty scale, my idea was to never take it with japan and just convoy it with subs. Has anyone ever done this with success?

• '18 '17 '16

I had suggested that in a video a while back GK. Then YG pointed out that the US gets the 5 IPC bonus as soon as they are at war with Japan. Oh, right. That will add up over the course of a game when you consider that and the loss of 2 IPC for Japan each turn. Not to mention that it’s a great strategic location with air and naval bases that would be missed. I like your way of thinking though, trying to come up with an angle.

• Sponsor

@Genghis:

with philippines being only a 2 on difficulty scale, my idea was to never take it with japan and just convoy it with subs. Has anyone ever done this with success?

The Philippines Swing:

If the Americans control Philippines when at war, it will become a 7 IPC territory for them. Consider that the new American National Objective “America at War” was added to provide extra income assuming that the Philippines has been taken and controlled by Japan… so that would make the Philippines swing 12 IPCs in theory if Japan doesn’t take it. Even more so, lets take into consideration the 2 IPCs Japan has lost out on for not claiming it for themselves… that now makes the Philippines a 14 IPC swing if the Japanese don’t take it… and I don’t think a convoy raid each turn will effect that much. Remember, just because a token may be easier than others to achieve, they still need to draw resources towards it and execute the plan, and doesn’t Japan have a say as to how difficult that token becomes for the Pacific allies?

• don’t get me wrong I like the victory token system better than OOB because OOB promotes throwing everything at a single theater and abandonning the other one (usually the one USA attacks). The only disadvnatage I see with victory token system is that you can never lose the token so you just need to claim Africa once with the Allies and then you can abandon it. Same with philipines, retake it once and then abandon, no need to keep it. No incentive to hold on to the territory.

• Sponsor

@Genghis:

don’t get me wrong I like the victory token system better than OOB because OOB promotes throwing everything at a single theater and abandonning the other one (usually the one USA attacks). The only disadvnatage I see with victory token system is that you can never lose the token so you just need to claim Africa once with the Allies and then you can abandon it. Same with philipines, retake it once and then abandon, no need to keep it. No incentive to hold on to the territory.

Your concern is a common one, but it’s not a problem I’m looking to solve. The token system is ideally created for group games lasting 10 hours, so that’s a one day beginning and end game with zero continuation, that’s the best scenario for this VO system. It will take most of the day going after and accomplishing some of these tokens, so there’s really no time to abandon them completely and go after something else. I find that those that don’t like a system where you don’t have to hold them, are probably in a position to continue games over multiple days while leaving the game set up, or just fans of the total war type end game scenarios. This is not meant to label or offend, it’s meant to explain why the VO system will never be able to satisfy the needs of more gamers. Consider this, The Americans have a huge naval landing force off Gibraltar, it’s late in the night… Do you attack Rome knowing that you have a chance to take it, or do you stay where you are and build up knowing that you could never keep it? Well, it’s gonna depend on the victory condition you’re using, I personally like games where players attack.

• Am I blind or there is no victory deck to download? I understand everything is on YG’s website but I can’t find the VO deck filke.

• Sponsor

@Erocco:

Am I blind or there is no victory deck to download? I understand everything is on YG’s website but I can’t find the VO deck filke.

It’s coming this week, check in around Thursday.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m