• Last game we played had Leningrad abandoned. I thought the territory to valuable to give up without spending German resources. Your thoughts?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

I voted for “defensive actions with counterattack” which in my view doesn’t necessarily imply that you would leave units in Leningrad itself, but rather, in an adjacent territory in order to strike back. If you can, of course.

The general problem with a Russian Leningrad stack is that Germany may cut off your retreat which means that those troops are isolated from Moscow at best, and dead at worst. For example, if Germany has a big force in Belarus, the Leningrad stack can’t escape.

• @Herr:

I voted for “defensive actions with counterattack” which in my view doesn’t necessarily imply that you would leave units in Leningrad itself, but rather, in an adjacent territory in order to strike back. If you can, of course.

The general problem with a Russian Leningrad stack is that Germany may cut off your retreat which means that those troops are isolated from Moscow at best, and dead at worst. For example, if Germany has a big force in Belarus, the Leningrad stack can’t escape.

100% agree.

I voted to do a fighting withdraw and set-up a counter attack. I will generally leave enough units in Leningrad so they can’t amphib it easily, but pull back to Arc the turn Germany attacks Russia in force (like when they super stack E Poland). You need to be aware of the German navy so they can’t hit you in Arch over the top though. This will allow those slow moving units to get to Moscow (like Herr said). Often times I will build mech up there to swap out the slow moving units allowing them to mosey towards the capital. I try to keep a counter attack set up once I bail out to trade Leningrad to keep them from building up there for a turn as long as it isn’t too costly (I will do the same with Ukraine).

• I bail out of Leningrad very quickly if Germany is aggressively going after Moscow.  I can’t afford to trade unit-for-unit straight up with Germany since I am losing Russian infantry that defend as a 2.  There is little that you can do to prevent them from having a big stack in Bryansk at the end of G5.  Now you have to see if you can stop them from taking Moscow on G6 or G7.

• '19 '17 '16

I guess it depends how aggressively it is going that way. 3 tanks in Poland and a bunch of Artillery bought G1 and it would probably be advised to bug out USSR1. I’ve been caught before with inf in Leningrad which can’t attack the German stack in Belarus and are therefore cut off. I quite hate having to give up the Scandinavian peninsula partly because you then can’t stage fighters from London to Moscow in two turns. Takes more like 4, which is way too long.

• Abandon but leave open a counter attack option. Defending Moscow is the first priority.

If R has a mechanised force in Smolensk (I think it is) they can pose a threat in a number of directions. That does not deny G the NO, but a sufficient force may even be able to retake Leningrad and hold it for a period, if G’s deployments allow it.

But more usually it’s all units to the defense of Moscow.

• '19 '17 '16

@Herr:

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

This is not open for debate

You need to leave

If Germany is in east poland with its stack, you can not stack Novgorod. No discussion.

If you do stack Novogorod 1of 2 or both will happen

1. Your forces will look silly when you loose moscow and they are not there. Of course drinking Finish vodka s cool, but so what?
    2. You willl not be able to delay/defend south Russia where the money is

If you fail to do these two:

Game over

• '19 '17 '16

It’s point 1 which matters.

Point 2 - well you still deny the Leningrad NO and potentially gain the Lend Lease NO. You have to lose the Lend Lease NO while giving up the Caucusus and Stalingrad NOs to be on a loser here.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m