Looking for Breakdown comparison of global war versions

• '17

If this has already been discussed I’ll scuttle this topic.

But on a limited budget as in can only afford one version of this at a time. Im trying to find a comparison of the map variations.

1)looking for maximum printed icons on the map. Air bases and other cardboard chits are rediculously messy especially in Europe.
    2)wanted a map with maximum number of additional nations that via house rules or game design can either be added or played as a group of nations.
    3)various other preprinted icons like rail, convoy etc in the map. This will help to either increase or decrease the complexity of each game to accomidate longer or shorter gametime.
    4)a map that sets the stage for a possible free for all/alternate political situation style of play. As in not everything is owned by one nation to represent a snapshot of german maximum expansion but allows for a more equally distributed player startpionts. Alternate reality and national alignment would be easier. As in france is axis and Italy is allies turn 1etc.
    Ana1940global is fun but way too scripted to accomidate alternate political realities easily.

• '17

Curious if anyone knows whether the global 1936 map second edition, corrected the names of canadian territories?
    I’ve been trying to see on any pics or videos but cant read them.
    Prices on these prints are also very competative and with the charts/boards beat anything i can find locally, even with shipping and Canadian exchange rate. Seeing as our group is all Canadian, I’ll be using a label maker to correct this or hear about it every game. Its like labeling Texas as Louisiana. Just brought it up due to the review on hbg site. Obviously prefer not to ruin the face of this map with stickers

Otherwise this map seems to have the starting political and territorial ballance and options I am looking for. Extra nations and a third faction (communists ) along with all the optional extra rules/expansions. This should  prevent the static situational game that I started to find in A&A global 40. Love the game but varriety will keep it fresh. And primarily hopefully keep our group going well into the future.

• @Rank:

Curious if anyone knows whether the global 1936 map second edition, corrected the names of canadian territories?
    I’ve been trying to see on any pics or videos but cant read them.
    Prices on these prints are also very competative and with the charts/boards beat anything i can find locally, even with shipping and Canadian exchange rate. Seeing as our group is all Canadian, I’ll be using a label maker to correct this or hear about it every game. Its like labeling Texas as Louisiana. Just brought it up due to the review on hbg site. Obviously prefer not to ruin the face of this map with stickers

Otherwise this map seems to have the starting political and territorial ballance and options I am looking for. Extra nations and a third faction (communists ) along with all the optional extra rules/expansions. This should� prevent the static situational game that I started to find in A&A global 40. Love the game but varriety will keep it fresh. And primarily hopefully keep our group going well into the future.

Hello!
    Sorry for the late reply Rank Carcass, I actually did type up a response a couple days ago and had it sitting there when a nephew ended up deleting it off the computer.
    I think, for the passionate A&A gamer who wants less railroading and more versatility, HBG’s Global War is the way to go. I’ve been debating purchasing the Struggle for Europe and Asia game floating on the forums, but Global War is distinct in that it has the whole world represented in a greater scale.
    My current dream is to design and print my own map that would somehow make the impossible possible. A larger, scaled in version of Europe, where as keeping Africa, South America and all else on the map and not in inset boxes.

But anyway, I’m glad to hear you purchased the Global War 1936 Map! I’m sure you will have lots of fun.
    I’m not sure how, but HBG made a major mistake on the map in regards to Canada, and I imagine Canada has HBG’s second or third biggest clientele. I’m not sure if they fixed it, but my map was with the initial sell, and Ontario is called Labrador, Labrador is called Newfoundland, Newfoundland is called St. Pierre Island. I’m not sure what went wrong there but it is a sore point with my Canadian co-players. I hear about it every game.
    Personally as Canadian born dual citizen Canadian-Czech, I suffer doubly by having the Mothercountry, Czechoslovakia, called Sudetenland. That is complete idiocy. Sorry. At least Bohemia or Czechia or Moravia would be tolerable, but to label the whole nation Sudetenland hurts my nationalist pride.
    But oh well, its just a game.

Alright, Item 1. Global War 1936 does not have printed icons. I’m glad they haven’t, it allows for more versatility and modification in the games. HBG sells little plastic chits for shipyards and airbases and the like, I generally put a little bit of that blue putty and stick them too the map. I think I prefer them over any 3d printed versions there are.
    I like the ability to change up the starting setup if need be. For instance, I play that capital ships can only be built at Shipyards (As opposed to Naval Bases), as such I need to change up the start for Russia for a Black Sea and Baltic Sea Naval Bases. Same with a Mediterranean Shipyard for France. Having printed bases on the map limits the modability of the game.

2. I believe that all nations existent in 1936 are represented on the map, apart from the nations like the Vatican and Lichtenstein, but Luxembourg is present. Even then, Luxembourg is nice to have but serves no strategic purpose and for our games it is generally not existing as an independent nation, and more along the lines of an impassable zone.

3. Railway lines and Convoy lines are represented on the map. HBG also sells additional chits for extending the railways further, although I don’t think I’ve ever come across a time where I have the money to extend the lines beyond what is printed, with perhaps the exception of a Russian railways linking to China.

4. This map allows plenty of versatility. Pretty much anything imaginable. You can make the Italians join the Allies, and the French join the Axis, but it may unbalance the game beyond playability.
    Personally I have created my own little diplomatic rule set, allowing for the ability to influence nearly every nation into any faction. Basically no factions exist and must be formed. With a predisposition via events of following historical paths.

Anyways, good stuff. :-)
    Cheers!

• '17

Thanks Jinx!
    Exactly what I was hoping to see.

Mislabeled territories are not that big of a deal. But I’ll hear it every time that area is used. (Label maker will fix this, maybe relabel all of canada so its less noticed)

As for balance that would be a work in progress.
    British empire beaks up and Canada with Netherlands occupy london….etc.lots of variety

• '17

Personally I have created my own little diplomatic rule set, allowing for the ability to influence nearly every nation into any faction. Basically no factions exist and must be formed. With a predisposition via events of following historical paths.

Very interesting! Curious if you want to share this.

My current dream is to design and print my own map that would somehow make the impossible possible. A larger, scaled in version of Europe, where as keeping Africa, South America and all else on the map and not in inset boxes.

Excellent Idea hope this works for you. Ideas like this are what got me hooked to this game type. So much imagination and creative action on this site keep at it.

Thanks R

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m