Welcome! If you're a returning member of the forums, please reset your password. If you don't receive an email within minutes, it means your account is listed under another, likely older, email address. Contact webmaster@axisandallies.org for help.

War Plan Orange

• 2019 2017 2016

ANZAC can only reach Java the next turn. No other money island.

• @simon33:

ANZAC can only reach Java the next turn. No other money island.

Even if you trade Java a couple times Anz is doing its job of forcing the Japanese to expose ground units and transports (something that Japan doesn’t want to do). The allies are looking to trade ships to force the Japanese to build more boats and less ground for Asia.

sz54 is a great launch point for the allies, and building an IC on Queensland at some point gives the Anz much better mobility. From sz 54 you can reach all the money islands, Malaya and even the Phil (although Phil is prob where the Japanese fleet will be sitting with air cover). You may even get the Japanese to picket block certain sz’s with those valuable dd’s so US can pick em off.

• 2019 2017 2016

That option of building an IC on Queensland is one I’ve never done nor had done in a game I was playing IIRC. I’d always rather upgrade an inf or two to a fighter or DD (or CV) with the money. It’s rare that ANZAC are making 30IPC per turn or enough that the IC becomes a good use of resources and when it does, it is sometimes better placed on Saudia Arabia or FIC.

• @simon33:

That option of building an IC on Queensland is one I’ve never done nor had done in a game I was playing IIRC. I’d always rather upgrade an inf or two to a fighter or DD (or CV) with the money. It’s rare that ANZAC are making 30IPC per turn or enough that the IC becomes a good use of resources and when it does, it is sometimes better placed on Saudia Arabia or FIC.

The IC is 2 expensive for the anzac better use the queensland IC and just attack java every turn, US can clear the japan fleet if it blocks and anzac can supply the ground forces to take it.

And doing this every turn forces japan to do the same every turn, sure it is only 14 ipcs a turn and it wont destroy japan outright but it is really annoying and it saps away some strength.
    That combined with the forced destroyer japan has to build to enable the invasion ( US can drop a sub there and a lone transport cannot invade ) the costs are already 22ipc a turn
    Japan is making 50ish so that is nearly half the income drained away just to keep java. Other US subs doing convoy raids and the blocker needed to protect SZ6 from subs basicaly removes half japans strength. China and UK-Pac only have to kill for 20 ipcs in units each turn so basicaly trade 1-1 and japan isnt going anywhere.

• Ok, so a while ago Italy became upsetting for me after Taranto…now Japan is upsetting me.  I tried this strategy as the US and succeeded. My opponents got wise. Now whenever I play as Japan I get mowed over by this strategy 😢  now we need a “How to beat Plan Orange” guide.  Seriously.

P.S. The key to this strategy as the U.S. is to simply place a submarine or more in each Japanese convoy zone (in a standard game there will be 10); just work out the details of getting there and Japan is going to be losing ground in Asia very soon because they either have to build a ton of destroyers, or build a few destroyers(only taking out your subs in big zones like 6 and 19), or totally ignore which is admitting defeat. Good luck Japan.

• @Charles:

Ok, so a while ago Italy became upsetting for me after Taranto…now Japan is upsetting me.  I tried this strategy as the US and succeeded. My opponents got wise. Now whenever I play as Japan I get mowed over by this strategy 😢  now we need a “How to beat Plan Orange” guide.  Seriously.

P.S. The key to this strategy as the U.S. is to simply place a submarine or more in each Japanese convoy zone (in a standard game there will be 10); just work out the details of getting there and Japan is going to be losing ground in Asia very soon because they either have to build a ton of destroyers, or build a few destroyers(only taking out your subs in big zones like 6 and 19), or totally ignore which is admitting defeat. Good luck Japan.

Maby play the standard 2nd edition rules without a bid so the allies need to devide their attention a bit more.
    Good to see that the allies are becomming better at dealing with the axis.

• 2019 2017 2016

@Charles:

Ok, so a while ago Italy became upsetting for me after Taranto…now Japan is upsetting me.  I tried this strategy as the US and succeeded. My opponents got wise. Now whenever I play as Japan I get mowed over by this strategy 😢  now we need a “How to beat Plan Orange” guide.  Seriously.

Here’s what I might try:

• Take Guam.
      Base one DD + scrambling fighters off Philippines, Guam and Japan. That only leaves two holes for the Asian coast, SZ18 + SZ36. The latter is a long way around for the US to go. Basing a fleet in SZ18 can plug the other hole. You need to pick off the UK and/or ANZACs if they come through the bottom though.

The above won’t work if Japan is already being pushed back significantly.

• @simon33:

@Charles:

Here’s what I might try:

• Take Guam.
      Base one DD + scrambling fighters off Philippines, Guam and Japan. That only leaves two holes for the Asian coast, SZ18 + SZ36. The latter is a long way around for the US to go. Basing a fleet in SZ18 can plug the other hole. You need to pick off the UK and/or ANZACs if they come through the bottom though.

No problem actualy only helps the strategy, 2 subs + 3 fighters + 1 tactica + 1 strat vs the 1 destroyer on guam.
    You can scramble and lose your planes or lose the destroyer your choice really. And in non combat i can still move some other subs past guam.
    And if you dont have enough in range i might deside i want guam for myself and invade it i got 2 transports in the area, ill redirect the bombers to the land battle and take guam, you just have to deside if you trade your planes VS inf or VS subs. Either way US come out ahead.

Those The air is just the starting forces USA starts with in the area, just need 1 more carrier build for this and you want something other then subs. Just so you can pose a threath to other areas and extend the range of your planes so his transports are less safe.

And well you leave 9 planes away from the mainland, that is half your starting airforce tied down to prevent a few subs from getting through.

• 2019 2017 2016

Obviously, you don’t put up a guard that is too weak. Better to consolidate.

Your planes seem to be coming off a CV - the strat bomber is that launching from Carolines or Wake and landing on Dutch New Guinea? What’s to stop you from hitting the US fleet as Japan?

But if there’s only subs coming in, a DD + scrambling fighters can be an effective blocker.

• @simon33:

Obviously, you don’t put up a guard that is too weak. Better to consolidate.

Your planes seem to be coming off a CV - the strat bomber is that launching from Carolines or Wake and landing on Dutch New Guinea? What’s to stop you from hitting the US fleet as Japan?

But if there’s only subs coming in, a DD + scrambling fighters can be an effective blocker.

You have to defend at a lot of locations though, and you can only scramble 3 planes so you have a total of 4 defending units.

Yes you can block US from some SZ’s but you still have to contest the money islands and any planes tied up in guam/japan are not helping japan doing other things.

• @ShadowHAwk:

@Charles:

Ok, so a while ago Italy became upsetting for me after Taranto…now Japan is upsetting me.  I tried this strategy as the US and succeeded. My opponents got wise. Now whenever I play as Japan I get mowed over by this strategy 😢  now we need a “How to beat Plan Orange” guide.  Seriously.

Maby play the standard 2nd edition rules without a bid so the allies need to devide their attention a bit more.
    Good to see that the allies are becomming better at dealing with the axis.

But I never use bids!
    @simon33:

@Charles:

Ok, so a while ago Italy became upsetting for me after Taranto…now Japan is upsetting me.  I tried this strategy as the US and succeeded. My opponents got wise. Now whenever I play as Japan I get mowed over by this strategy 😢  now we need a “How to beat Plan Orange” guide.  Seriously.

Here’s what I might try:

• Take Guam.

If I’m the U.S. and Japan does this, first thing I’m going to do is say “Yay! My subs forced 3 destroyers and 9 fighters to sit around and do nothing!” Now that’s before I even get a chance to counter it…

Welcome to the new forums! For security and technical reasons, we did not migrate your password. Therefore to get started, please reset your password. You may use your email address or username. Please note that your username is not your display name.

If you're having problems, please send an email to webmaster@axisandallies.org

T-shirts, Hats, and More

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games

Users

Topics

1.3m