• '21 '18 '16

A&A will never be realistic and that is the whole point. You get to rewrite history. Isn’t that what the initial promos for the Gamemaster series touted?

As many on here lament, the setup could probably be a bit more balanced and a bid system makes everyone feel whole sometimes. YG’s group uses a victory system. We use our own realism rules to cause some randomness and generally screw up the game at times. I’ve been burned twice with our system when certain victory was within my grasp.

That’s the great thing about this game. Everyone tries for balance in this game. Do we ever ask why? BECAUSE YOU LOST THE LAST ONE!!! We try to find some way to smooth out the gaps we perceive.

Often it’s just a matter of dice rolls. The strategy is sound but luck was not on your side. Sometimes its because we drank one too many beers and insert result.

As YG said before, this isn’t a simulator but rather for some a way to get together with people you hopefully like enough to spend 10-20 hours with, drink beer, and talk smack. A way to reconnect with your old buds and check out from reality for a while. My harsh reality consists of low oil and gas prices as a petroleum engineer. The game lets me forget all that crap and live out my imaginary warlord fantasy.

As Taamvan said, those Pan-Carribeans would never make it past San Antonio. FA is such an awesome game. I even have the one with Saddam Hussein on the cover!!!

May the dice gods be in your favor.

• I agree that Japanese wouldn’t have gotten deep into Russia, and that tanks or even inf getting anywhere near Moscow is far fetched. With that said this game allows the Japanese to crush China, and invade India on a normal basis. Those pesky Japanese also often get into the Mid East and sometimes Africa which is also absurd. So should we bar the Japanese from crossing over to the Euro map, and the Germans from the Pac map?

Probably not

• Thanks guys for all the great ideas and comments.

I too support the enforcement of the Russo-Japanese Non-Aggression Pact, at least at first. In Barbarossa, Germany was crippled by harsh conditions before it got to Moscow. Thus, it does not seem plausible for Japan to launch an extensive campaign through Siberia, which is Northern most route for Japan to travel. I think it could be allowed for Japan to attack Russia if she reaches her border through China, because A) it will take a while, B) China cant turtle in the Burma Road any more, and C) it seems possible for Japan to send SOME troops to take pressure off Germany.

The rule that I best think could address this issue is requiring Axis air to be a certain (TBD) distance from their ground forces, so that you wont see Germany funneling an air force east, purely on their own. Thoughts?

• Like others said, I dont want a scripted game. When I play Hirohito then I wanna make my own decisions, man. Besides, how do you explain that Djenghis Khan and Attila the Hun could cross the Siberian plains, the Kazakhstan desert and the Ural mountains on horseback like 1000 years ago, but in 1940 the Japanese was not even able to drive like 10 miles into Russia Far East before the terrain force them to stop ? The Japanese did in fact conquer and use the Russian railroad in Manchuria a few years before WWII, so what kind of magical force is it that deny them to capture and use the Russian railway and roads in Buryatia ? The terrain in China with mountains and rivers was much more difficult to attack than the plains in Siberia, and they had no problems doing that. Is it because the population in Buriatya would put up some fierce resistance ? That population was ethnically Chinese and Mongolian, and Russia had to have like 30 security divisions there just to keep them from doing a revolt. Sorry but I cant see no rational reason to deny Japan to attack Russia Far East, other than it did not happen in the real war, so if we want to play this game out the historicall correct way then we need some scripted rules

• @WILD:

I agree that Japanese wouldn’t have gotten deep into Russia, and that tanks or even inf getting anywhere near Moscow is far fetched. With that said this game allows the Japanese to crush China, and invade India on a normal basis. Those pesky Japanese also often get into the Mid East and sometimes Africa which is also absurd. So should we bar the Japanese from crossing over to the Euro map, and the Germans from the Pac map?

Probably not

Germany had lots of colonies on the Pacific map before WWI so I guess there is no rational reason to keep them out of there. And Japan was in fact an advanced military power that captured colonies all over the place, so why is it absurd when they get into Africa ? Should it not be more absurd that a tiny island like England had a lot of colonies in China ?

• That’s generally what war is about, one country(s) wanting to expand and colonize, and other county(s) trying to stop it to protect their own interests. England was a super power at the time, it won multiple wars allowing it to expand the Empire. With expansion comes a strain of resources and uprisings (like that little conflict in the America’s). Although the English were on the winning side of WWII much of the Empire was disassembled afterwords.

The axis partners had spheres of interest prior to the start of WWII. Germany would dominate Europe, Italy the Med region, and Japan would get Asia and the Pacific. If things had continued to go the axis way,  those lines very well could have gotten blurred leading to conflicts among the axis. We all know that the Germans were capable of back stabbing their treaty partners.

Yea the Germans were late to the party, but did colonize in the Pacific and Africa prior to WWI. As a result of WW1 they lost those colonies. It is reasonable to believe that had the war progressed in their favor the Germans would want those lost territories back at some point. Would the Japanese just freely relinquish those Pac territories? Maybe some kind of trade off?

I’m no historian, but I don’t think the Japanese had any interest in expanding into Africa during the war(?). That would fall under German/Italian influence where the Euro axis were already fighting. I’m not saying the Japanese didn’t have the means to make landings in Africa, only that it would probably raise red flags to their axis partners if they did. Plus such a landing would have been a major strain on Japanese ambitions and holding they already had in their own back yard. They chose to keep the NAP w/Russia to continue their conquest of Asia and the Pacific (against the wishes of their strongest ally). I don’t think the Japanese would have looked at Africa unless they got the US to sign a treaty giving them complete reign of Asia and the Pac. Then they may have looked towards Africa or the Mid East???

With that said, I like that fact that if the US goes full tilt Europe the game allows you as the Japanese to venture to into Africa, and other European territories. Same for if the Japanese are getting pounded the Germans/Italians can make gains on the Pac side if they want. I wouldn’t like a set of rules that limit you to one map side or the other. Many people already complain about the Acme Chinese wall as it is.

If a house rule limited axis cross overs, or base certain moves on a domino type of effect, I think that you would also have look at putting in some US spending limits per theater as well.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m