• I have to ask this… does ANYONE bother playing the “minor victory” rules for AAR?  All it takes is shifting 2 victory cities from Allies to Axis to win a “minor”,and Leningrad and Calcutta are both just WAITING for the Axis to take them; with both quite easilly falling in Turn 1, if players aim for those 2 cities.

What is the point of setting up a “victory condition” that is met in Turn 1?

• No one does this. Did you read the link I offered you? The revised rules recommend that you play with a 9 victory condition.

• @trihero:

No one does this. Did you read the link I offered you? The revised rules recommend that you play with a 9 victory condition.

Give me time.  Still working on learning the new version.  But obviously the “revisions” were not as comprehensive as they were made out to be, nor the rule revisions what they should be.

My personal favorite is the SBR and Rockets taking out the “greater” of the roll of the die, or the IPC’s held by the country being bombed.  That is in there not once but TWICE.  Hhhmmm… bomb UK and take 30 IPC’s, the greater of the die roll or their IPC’s (pg 21 of the rules)

• I suggest not wasting time on the box rules. There are many mistakes and imbalances there. The LHTR (larry harris tournament rules) are what a majority of people use.

• i believe the SBR and rocket attacks says:  whichever is greater, but MAXIMUM of the IPC value of the attacked territory.  if the IPC value is 5, then they only pay 5 IPC’s max for that attack.

i just got the revised edition for my dad for christmas, we only played it 1x, so i’m just a beginner.  now, we DID play ‘minor victory’ and it still took us quite awhile since we were reading the rules and stuff as we went.  so we didn’t use all the weapons and such as efficiently as can be done, of course.

i will look up those 3rd party rules, as like was mentioned, there seems to be some funkiness to the box rules.

• It’s not precisely 3rd party; those set of rules I linked too were sanctioned by the game designer himself (Larry Harris) and is used in many official tournaments.

The basic changes to the box rules are these:

1. There is now a total combined bombing limit per turn that is the territory value. The box rules wording makes it a bombing limit per bomber, which was stupid since it allowed you, if you had enough bombers, to bomb someone’s economy all the way to zero.

2. Techs now apply at the end of your turn, not immediately. Besides the lameness of a turn one long range aircraft sea lion, the designer didn’t like the sneak attack feel of techs.

3. Heavy bombers are no longer so good. You roll two but pick the better of the two rolls, so you can only inflict a maximum of 1 casualty instead of 2. For SBRs, you pick the better of the two and add 1 to it for IPC damage.

4. Super submarines are slightly improved. It raises the defense of subs to 3 as well as the attack.

5. AA guns no longer fire at planes moving during the noncombat phase.

And of course the typo corrections like saying “lesser” instead of “greater” of the two for bombing, etc.

• And just putting this thread to bed…

In the game that Trihero and I are playing now… at the end of T1, the Axis had a “Minor Victory”, holding both Calcutta and Lenningrad.

But one look at the thread (or better yet a look at my game board), shows just how screwed Germany is right now.

Minor victory equals jack squat.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m