Late Game Italy Strategy

• Just played a game yesterday and my opponent threw away most of Japan’s air force against a Chinese stack on J2. Dice went very poorly for him, but to take that risk at all was something I’d never do. The upside case is nice, but the downside case is game-ending for Axis.

• '15

@SubmersedElk:

Just played a game yesterday and my opponent threw away most of Japan’s air force against a Chinese stack on J2. Dice went very poorly for him, but to take that risk at all was something I’d never do. The upside case is nice, but the downside case is game-ending for Axis.

Some people tend to overestimate how many planes they can lose as the Axis.  I’ve had the same battle you’re talking about and routinely take down 8 or 9 Japanese planes.  In the short run Japan looks alright, since China is wiped off (plus the couple of other units I put in there).  But 8 or 9 planes down is a lot to overcome in the long run.

• The reason people are willing to loose so many planes as Germany or Japan in large attacks against many units is because of the strategic implications of the subsequent result (the way the board would look after the attack).

When Germany clears Egypt of units it is because Italy can then take the territory with a lot of ground units left over, and UK has no great way of retaking it outside of an early factory in Persia, and even then its not good. So Germany looses a lot of air and money to then allow the Italy to grab a stranglehold on Egypt for the rest of the game.

Japan loosing a lot of air in the attack on Szchewan to kill off all the Chinese units is so that China is left with nothing on the board except a few infantry every round, and you can push through and take the rest of China’s PU’s quicker. This saves ground units that would have died or had to be used as implied pressure on china that can be used for India. Granted you are weaker vs a US Pacific first, but in that case you can just push on through China into Russia’s back door.

• 2020 2018 2017

That is indeed the strategy, and it relies on the allies having pretty bad luck to smash up those stacks without losing 50% of your starting planes.

Germany can replace the planes, but not at the same time as it builds mechs, armor stax
    Japan has even more planes, but it needs even more than Germany does because without them, its a paper tiger.

The problem with doing these stub attacks is if you lose more than 50% of your starting air power before turn 5, you will not be able to force your victory cities and strategic objectives.  The consequences are felt several turns later (7,8), when you cant smash stax because you lost your mobile strikeforce.

20th Anniversary Give Away

In January 2000 this site came to life and now we're celebrating our 20th Anniversary with a prize giveaway of 30+ prizes. See this link for the list of prizes and winners.
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys
T-shirts, Hats, and More

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys

Users

Topics

1.5m