1940 Global custom map files

• Sponsor

AMBILZI & GRASSHOPPER’S G40 MAP FILES

Advanced map file

Ambilzi and I have collaborated on an A&A 1940 Global map and the following file is the result of all our hard work… Thank You Ambilzi for contributing so much of your time and expertise.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/rdaipoycmccpr85/A%26A_1940_Global_Game_Board.jpg

It’s a jpeg file about 113MB in size with 200 pixels/inch, perfect for a 72"X33" print on vinyl or styrene material.

YouTube video description
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqlha8-nCxU

Special Features Include:

• Greater enhanced kamikaze and convoy symbols for easier visibility
    • Built in Naval and Airbase icons for quicker setups, and to conserve board space
    • A built in Battle Board for organizing units during large combat scenarios
    • A Game Play reference chart which includes order of play, starting income, and turn sequence
    • A Research & Development reference chart detailing both development charts available
    • A Unit Profile reference chart which includes the attack, defense, and cost values of each unit
    • A Combined Arms reference chart explaining modified rules for units matched with other units
    • A 72 space Income Tracker along the bottom half, and a 15 space Turn Tracker in the center
    • Touchups include a white border, a SZ# in the Caspian Sea, and a SZ#6 border correction
    • You also get a one piece creaseless board that won’t separate during game play

Basic map file

If you don’t like all the graphic changes, charts, or trackers… here is a basic jpeg file just for you.

https://www.mediafire.com/?o6z3o6w8m6r1ggc

• '14 Customizer

CYANIGHT’S G40 MAP FILES
    Developed from AMBILZI & GRASSHOPPER’S G40 MAP FILES

All of the files have evolved from AMBILZI & GRASSHOPPER’S G40 MAP FILES.

Version (L)
    This version contains all the roundels for all the neutrals except for Crete.

Download version (L) here
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/d702etl13mzs1n8/A&A_1940_Global_Game_Board_1_L.jpg

Version (O)
    Enlarged English Channel (Seazone 110 - corrected version)

Download version (O) here
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/sbsaxbzo8gn3yk9/A%26A%201940%20Global%20Game%20Board_1_O.jpg

Version ®
    This version has an increased sized Bessarabia and I used the Greek Roundel for Crete.

Download version ® here
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/vy7b0in3dgja2ak/A%26A%201940%20Global%20Game%20Board_1_R.jpg

The following versions have the following changes

• Italian Fascist Roundel

• Neutral Roundels

• Enlarged English Channel

• Enlarged Bessarabia

UK Roundel

Download version (S) here
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/9z56u24ffnzoa2b/A&A_1940_Global_Game_Board_1_S.jpg

Union Jack

Download version (U) here
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/sri7aqtt6897p13/A%26A%201940%20Global%20Game%20Board_1_U.jpg

India #1

Download version (V) here
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/rcmdrmv0506exs2/A&A_1940_Global_Game_Board_1_V.jpg

India #2

Download version (W) here
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/xa6xr9dpu99x640/A%26A%201940%20Global%20Game%20Board_1_W.jpg

This file contains changes to roundels and enlarged capital roundels. The roundels in Africa now are Portugal. Each territory in Persia has a different roundel and Eire, Iraq and Turkey also have new roundels.

Download version (U-008) here
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/m1oe962p1os59nr/A%26A%201940%20Global%20Game%20Board_1_U_008.jpg

This map contains all the changes in the version (U-008) as well as New Zealand roundels for Solomon Islands and New Zealand; New Roundels for Spain and the addition of the Azores and Canary Islands.

Download version (RAND-006) here
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/cmxs60d1arny82p/A%26A%201940%20Global%20Game%20Board_1_RAND_006.jpg

This is the latest version of the file I just had printed. It has an updated Chile roundel that is round and the original triangular Iraq roundel.

Here is some examples of the file from our last game.

Download version (U-010) here
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/yygavermgncv1rg/A%26A%201940%20Global%20Game%20Board_1_U_010.jpg

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Well done Amblizi & YG, this is a great resource to have for customizations like cyanight’s. One thing that could be done with the map is to correct Sierra Leone as a UK territory.

• '17 '16 '15

Great work guys!

Any chance you could do a basic map with the air fields and navy bases or the regular map without the turn marker and battle strip?

• Sponsor

@84tigers:

Great work guys!

Any chance you could do a basic map with the air fields and navy bases or the regular map without the turn marker and battle strip?

@General:

Well done Amblizi & YG, this is a great resource to have for customizations like cyanight’s. One thing that could be done with the map is to correct Sierra Leone as a UK territory.

Not from me unfortunately, Ambilzi was the software guy of the project and he has been MIA for a couple of years now.

• Sponsor

Just paid $140 Canadian including tax for a G40 custom map print 72"X33" on adhesive vinyl… and it turned out amazing. I’m gonna definitely need help when I stick it to my table top surface because there’s not much room for error with the adhesive side.

• Sponsor

@Young:

Just paid $140 Canadian including tax for a G40 custom map print 72"X33" on adhesive vinyl… and it turned out amazing. I’m gonna definitely need help when I stick it to my table top surface because there’s not much room for error with the adhesive side.

DO NOT PRINT ON ADHESIVE VINYL!

No mater how much help I had and how careful I was, I could not prevent creases and air bubbles as I was sticking it down until it ultimately was ruined. Printer guy has agreed to help me out with a different material… I will update you all later.

• @Young:

@Young:

DO NOT PRINT ON ADHESIVE VINYL!

No mater how much help I had and how careful I was, I could not prevent creases and air bubbles as I was sticking it down until it ultimately was ruined. Printer guy has agreed to help me out with a different material… I will update you all later.

Thanks for the feedback YG!

I’m getting your map printed (hopefully tomorrow or Friday) and this is very useful information. I’m currently wondering whether to get a rollable version or to mount it on a fixed, yet portable surface.

• Sorry to hear that YG. I do have my 10" x 14" battle boards printed on adhesive laminated  vinyl also. Did get a few very small air bubbles but turned out pretty good.
    But I wouldn’t go bigger than that. You have to slide over vinyl with a some kind of flat hard surface as you lay it out.

I would get a laminated vinyl map printed if you don’t want to use plexi-glass. You can roll up. You will have 90% lay flat until you play on it and also rub it out softly.

Pics of my battle boards are in the custom thread.

• '17 '16

@Bass:

Thanks for the feedback YG!

I’m getting your map printed (hopefully tomorrow or Friday) and this is very useful information. I’m currently wondering whether to get a rollable version or to mount it on a fixed, yet portable surface.

I ended up printing my map on Outdoor Banner Vinyl, and I reverse roll it (map side facing out when rolled) so that I don’t have any issues with map curl on the edges (it always lays flat)… I bought a PVC map tube for storage, so its very safe and out of the way when I’m not using it.  Very happy with my results.

YG… sorry to hear about your problems, but thanks for reporting what doesn’t work.

my1942custommap1.jpg

• Sponsor

Thanks guys,

After giving up on all ideas to hold down my maps whether it be glue or tape, I’m currently looking into thick laminate about 8 or 10 mil because being able to roll it is not as important to me as wiping it with a wet cloth, or it staying flat on it’s own all the time. Right now the only quote I have for print and laminate 10 mil thick is $180 Canadian, and as for adhesive vinyl… I’m sure there is a method I could have deployed to make it smooth out better, but I’m convinced that it’s a nightmare to work with none the less. It’s clear to me now that the printer guy isn’t gonna help me on the initial cost of the one ruined, even though it was his suggestion to use adhesive vinyl. The problem with the print industry is that you pay up front for the idea of something without any room for error, and you rarely get the expertise you need to make certain decisions without given clear choices. I’m currently working with a different print shop, although it will be awhile to get something done because of the $140 I basically threw away. I’ll keep you all updated and will report back soon.

• I’m sorry for your bad (and expensive) experience, YG. This was my reasoning for asking which shop the Danish guy had used. To get someone with experience to decrease the chance of this happening.

I only wish I had a bunker available, YG! Then I could make a fancy table like yours and not have to consider storing stuff away but "wipe"ability and "lay"ability instead. Unfortunately I do not. Don’t imagine the Mrs would be too keen on having your set-up in our living room… ;) But if I could get a material 8-10 mil thick that could still be rolled up or stored like a plate that would be very promising.

Go Raps! ;)

• I’m about to start work on a digital assistant for Axis & Allies 1940 Global 2nd Edition as part of a school project to automate tasks such as calculating income and simulating combat. I was wondering if it would be OK for me to use your basic map image as part of a territory selector to track who owns what territory.

• Sponsor

@silentcoder:

I’m about to start work on a digital assistant for Axis & Allies 1940 Global 2nd Edition as part of a school project to automate tasks such as calculating income and simulating combat. I was wondering if it would be OK for me to use your basic map image as part of a territory selector to track who owns what territory.

It’s fine as long as you don’t financially profit in anyway from using it.

• So I went down to the Print Shop yesterday to look at the different materials available for printing. I had asked for something portable so he first suggested outside banner vinyl which could be rolled up like a giant treasure map. But after reading YG thoughts and his criteria for choosing materials I decided that flatness trumped portability and went with a sturdy material called acrylo-something. It was a bit ticky getting it into the car in one piece, but I just fit it in. Set up the pieces when I got home and am quite happy with the result. The friction on the board seems to be a little less than OOB surface so we need to be careful when moving pieces so they don’t go flying all across the board but the esthetics were good and it’s absolutely flat with no creasing. I won’t however take it with me for away games so if we don’t play at my house we’ll just have to “slum it” ;)

• Sponsor

@Bass:

So I went down to the Print Shop yesterday to look at the different materials available for printing. I had asked for something portable so he first suggested outside banner vinyl which could be rolled up like a giant treasure map. But after reading YG thoughts and his criteria for choosing materials I decided that flatness trumped portability and went with a sturdy material called acrylo-something. It was a bit ticky getting it into the car in one piece, but I just fit it in. Set up the pieces when I got home and am quite happy with the result. The friction on the board seems to be a little less than OOB surface so we need to be careful when moving pieces so they don’t go flying all across the board but the esthetics were good and it’s absolutely flat with no creasing. I won’t however take it with me for away games so if we don’t play at my house we’ll just have to “slum it” ;)

I’m currently looking into printing it on something called PVC plastic, I wonder if it’s the same as what you did?

• '17 '16

@Bass:

So I went down to the Print Shop yesterday to look at the different materials available for printing. I had asked for something portable so he first suggested outside banner vinyl which could be rolled up like a giant treasure map. But after reading YG thoughts and his criteria for choosing materials I decided that flatness trumped portability and went with a sturdy material called acrylo-something. It was a bit ticky getting it into the car in one piece, but I just fit it in. Set up the pieces when I got home and am quite happy with the result. The friction on the board seems to be a little less than OOB surface so we need to be careful when moving pieces so they don’t go flying all across the board but the esthetics were good and it’s absolutely flat with no creasing. I won’t however take it with me for away games so if we don’t play at my house we’ll just have to “slum it” ;)

Awww… i’m using outdoor banner vinyl, its’ portable, easily storable, and I haven’t had any issues with it not lying flat… I just roll it map-side-out and have zero issues… this is how a freshly unrolled map looks on my counter… note the edges of the map east and west… this map was just unrolled and units deployed… before a single turn is played it’s completely flat.

my1941custommap1.jpg

• @YG

PVC or Polyvinyl Chloride I believe is different from Acrylic material (which the print guy called it) but they may be quite similar still. My map is 3 mm thick and consists of two wafer thin plastic sheets with a supporting meshwork in between making it rigid but lightweight.

• @Wolfshanze

Hehe. To each his own, I guess. ;) If I feel like spending another 1100 NOK on a portable map-version I may yet get one like yours. :) I see however that your map is not the G40 but a smaller version? I’m not sure it would work as well with a bigger map. If you get G40 as well please let us know how that is in comparison to your current version. :)

• '17 '16

@Bass:

Hehe. To each his own, I guess. ;) If I feel like spending another 1100 NOK on a portable map-version I may yet get one like yours. :) I see however that your map is not the G40 but a smaller version? I’m not sure it would work as well with a bigger map. If you get G40 as well please let us know how that is in comparison to your current version. :)

It’s still a decently large map… what’s printed on the map matters not.  My maps (I have two) are roughly 57"x30" in size (far bigger than the 41 or 42 maps)… and banner vinyl is banner vinyl.  If it were three times the size, I don’t really see why it would curl any more than it already does (or doesn’t).  Making it wider or longer isn’t going to change the molecular structure of the banner vinyl.  I know Private Panic has also printed on Banner Vinyl and has no problems… I think he has one for Global.  Do to space issues, I have to reuse the counter I put the maps on daily, so being easily removable, storable and able to quickly set back up is important to me, and the maps I have printed on Banner Vinyl look good, play good, and lay nice and flat… I can’t imagine how they would suddenly not sit flat just because it’s bigger.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m