New idea for deploying infantry

• Sponsor

So as a way to incorporate G40B marines into table top games without adding a new unit, I came up with the following…

**-Cruisers and Battleships may pick up and drop off 1 infantry unit each during the non-combat movement phase only.

-Operational naval bases may mobilize 1 transport unit each during the mobilize new units phase.

-Operational airbases may launch 1 infantry unit each into hostile territories 3 spaces away during the combat movement phase.**

• '17 '16

@Young:

So as a way to incorporate G40B marines into table top games without adding a new unit, I came up with the following…

**-Cruisers and Battleships may pick up and drop off 1 infantry unit each during the non-combat movement phase only.

-Operational naval bases may mobilize 1 transport unit each during the mobilize new units phase.

-Operational airbases may launch 1 infantry unit each into hostile territories 3 spaces away during the combat movement phase.**

IMO, paradrop should stop on first enemy TTy.
    So, you can still make airdroping on island TTy but no indepth invasion without any support.
    Dont forget, 1 turn is 3 to 6 months long.
    No large army can survive with no ammunition, food and water.

• Sponsor

Perhaps you’re right, if we let them take control of empty territories… they should stop and drop at first enemy territory they fly over. Also, they should be vulnerable to AA fire.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I like the idea of making airborne infantry feasible instead of a tech. You could add a 1st round restriction as not to wreck opening moves and represent the development of parachute landings.

• Sponsor

@General:

I like the idea of making airborne infantry feasible instead of a tech. You could add a 1st round restriction as not to wreck opening moves and represent the development of parachute landings.

Well, Germany only owns 1 airbase and I can’t see it being used turn 1 as all those infantry are needed in France. If the Germans bring Russia into the war G1, than Russia deserves to use their 2 airbases to drop 2 infantry trying to kick out those backstabbing Germans. This would be a good rule for Japan to get those infantry off Caroline islands and pick up some near by allied islands, maybe they take Guam from Tokyo turn 1, but no harm yet. US can’t attack turn 1 unless brought into the war… so maybe more incentive for Japan to delay DOW. The UK can do a couple of things from London, Scotland, and or Calcutta… but with Baron’s suggestion of stopping at first hostile territory… nothing to devastating and actually kinda risky to strip troops before sealion. Italy has the best first turn opportunity with one airbase and the ability to drop 1 infantry anywhere in the Med or Africa is cool, maybe just what the Italian player needs for a fair fight. ANZAC… no effect, but France has some options to use the infantry in London for more than collecting dust.

• '17 '16

France paratrooper can also simulate commandos  along european shore.

Also, you can identify special infantry or Marines with a Control Marker below the sculp.
    That way, you can increase their cost without having to buy 1914 or 1941 to get different Infantry sculpt.
    I still wonder if a 3 IPCs unit can be a balanced cost for a weaker Marines unit able to move with Cruiser and BB.
    As written elsewhere:

Marines as simply Marines and nothing more
    Cost 3
    Attack 1-2
    Defense 1
    Move 1

Sea movement bonus:
    1 Marines unit can be carried on 1 Battleship or 1 Cruiser.
    Transport can load 2 Marines or 1 Marines plus any other 1 ground unit.
    Gets +1A on amphibious assault only.

No combined arms with Artillery.
    No production limit number.

That way, 2 Marines for 6 IPCs, A4 D2 on amphibious assault will be better cost ratio than regular Infantry paired with Artillery A4 D4 C7.
    But, in defense, 2 Marines Defense @2 cannot hold the ground as 2 Infantry Defense @4.

And also 2 Marines being weaker if going inland combat by themselves because of the no pairing bonus with artillery. But they stay on par 1:1 compared to a single Infantry on offense.

Also, in amphibious assault, Marines will be probably taken amongst first casualties compared to regular infantry because it is the same attack factor than Inf with Artillery (but have a lesser defense factor (very low 1), unless you keep them to move on a Cruiser or BB and want to spare TP to turn back home for new supply on next turn. So, such Marines unit will more often die during debarkment and regular Infantry will last longer, in anticipation of next assault going inland.

About Infantry moving NCM only with Cruiser or Battleship, it cannot simulate the initiative and offensive role being taken by Marines such as Guadalcanal.
    As far as I understand, Marines were first almost everywhere in PTO while regular army troopers were mopping behind Marines and garrisoning conquered islands. Maybe the exception is Peleliu in Palau islands.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m