• I accidently posted these questions in the wrong part of the forums, one of the answers was answered but I still copy pasted a few that weren’t. I started playing this game about 4 days ago and here are the things I just don’t get…

Is it better to defend with 2 infantry or 1 tank?

Also, assume my 3 subs attack 1 destroyer + 1 battleship. The way I understood it, the destroyer affects the subs by not canceling the sneak attack, but being able to still fire back if it dies (and the <damaged>battleship too since its by the destroyer?).
    -Assume my subs roll
    -That counts as a sneak attack
    -Then I fire my regular attack… correct?
    -Ships fire back, … cycle restarts

OR

-Subs roll
    -Counts as sneak attack
    -Because of destroyers, defender fires back immediately vs sneak attack
    -Submarine does regular attack
    -Defender does its attack

+Any other interesting strategies for a newbie would be greatly appreciated…</damaged>

• 1)2 inf.
    2)Both forces roll as normal, until the destroyer is destroyed(The DD negates the sub special). Then count the sub hits as sneak attack. Remember that subs can only hit sea units though.

• Also, assume my 3 subs attack 1 destroyer + 1 battleship. The way I understood it, the destroyer affects the subs by not canceling the sneak attack, but being able to still fire back if it dies (and the <damaged>battleship too since its by the destroyer?).
    -Assume my subs roll
    -That counts as a sneak attack
    -Then I fire my regular attack… correct?
    -Ships fire back, … cycle restarts

OR

-Subs roll
    -Counts as sneak attack
    -Because of destroyers, defender fires back immediately vs sneak attack
    -Submarine does regular attack
    -Defender does its attack</damaged>

Both of your guesses are wrong. Submarines only fire once during a combat cycle, in the opening fire step. If there is an enemy destroyer present at the beginning of combat, then any casualties dealt by submarines get to fire back instead of being immediatley sunk. They fire back in their regular step. If there is no destroyer present at the beginning, then the casualties inflicted by the sneak attack are sunk before they can fire.

• thanks guys

• 2007 AAR League

I was sure that the first fire step gets canceled if there is a destroyer present… i could be wrong

• I was sure that the first fire step gets canceled if there is a destroyer present… i could be wrong

You are wrong. It is not cancelled, it is just that casualties inflicted by subs in the opening fire get to attack back when there’s a destroyer present. It’s a small technicality, but it helps to remind you that all the sub hits go onto sea units; if they were simply moved back to the normal firing step then there could be some confusion as to when to allocate sub hits vs normal hits which could lead air units surviving when they shouldn’t be.

• 2007 AAR League

:x ah yes you are right. my mistakes

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m