• Well said.  I’m glad I didn’t bother to answer and just wait for someone else to say it

However…. If you think about it, there are some interesting things you could do with like 4-5 battleships, and yes I know you could do better things buying something else - that’s not the point

• '19 '17 '16

On the other hand, if you’re the attacker presumably the extra hit would be useful. Unless you’re doing an attack which can’t stand an oncoming counter attack.

If you use the BB’s abilities, yes they can be value. But that is quite difficult to pull off.

• Interesting math:
    4 BB + 10 DD = 160 TUV
    vs
    20 DD = 160 TUV

The battle is 50/50, but the side with the battleships will have a +14 advantage.  He also can use those battleships for help in amphibious attacks, and send them as free hits on smaller battles.

Mind you that 14 DD + 8 Subs would be even better on both attacks and defense.  Mixing unit types do have advantages in the game.

• a BB can be usefull,

Whan doing a J1 DOW i use 2 BB against the US fleet in the Phillipines. The US player scored two (luck) hits with his sub and destroyer. Using the two BB’s to take the hits saves units. Since you own the Phillipines after J1, you can repair the BB’s J2.

I’ve seen many games where te UK battleship in SZ 37 is able to kill a Japanese cruiser and a bomber (if Japan comes in with a cruiser and two bombers an get diced).

The German “Bismarck” is often damaged in SZ 110 or 111. The UK will try to sink the battleship. When te UK comes to kill it you have a chance to kill an English ship/plane and might puts their fleet out of position.

• I think the US purchases should be as follows:

US1

2 aircraft carriers in Western US and 2 fighters in Central US (all to meet up on Hawaii on US2) (land the 2 Hawaii fighters on one of the carriers)

US2

2 aircraft carriers in Eastern US and 2 fighters in Central US (all to meet up in sz 101 on US3) (also land tac bomber on 1 carrier)

Note: if Japan has declared war on J1, use your extra IPC’s to build transports

US3

6 destroyers to go in sz 101.

Note: if Japan has declared war on J2, use your extra IPC’s to build transports

US4 and on:

all inf to go in as many trn as possible all destined for Europe and also destroyers to replace any destroyers lost in case Germany is using the Dark Skies strategy.

• There is no reason to ever build fighters in Central US.

I trust no explanation is needed.

• '15

@ShadowHAwk:

@SubmersedElk:

There is no reason to ever build fighters in Central US.

I trust no explanation is needed.

If you want to build 1 carrier + 2 fighters + 3 other units and place them all in ZS101( german side ). But it is not clear if you build the fighters in central or eastern US as they end up on the carrier regardless.

EUS would still be the better option simply because it gives you more flexibility.  What if you change your mind after the next German turn and decide “Actually, I need to send these to Gibraltar, or a CV in 109 or 110, etc.”

Always pays to give yourself options

• What kind of flexibilty we are talking about?
    It doesn’t matter if you buy a ftr off of CUS and place it on a CV or buying it off of EUS and either placing it there or on a CV.
    They will both reach 109,110 or Gib.

???

• '15

Correct me if I’m wrong, but there is no air base in CUS, meaning the planes couldn’t reach 109, 110 or Gibraltar.

So leaving them on EUS means they can reach all the same Pacific spots, plus being able to reach further in the Atlantic.

• Let’s say US1 turn, No JDow 1 happend, you have 52 Ipc’s to spend.
    You decided to built 1st round big into the Atl.

Example

You buy:
    1x CV 16
    3x Ftr 30
    1x SS 6

Total of 52

Purchase round is over, no CM, No NCM.
    Placing Phase.

1x CV + 1xSS + 1Ftr will be placed in sz 101 and EUS via EUS.
    2x Ftr will also be placed in sz 101 via CUS.

I still think you should be fine with all the flex. you need :-).

The problem is that mentioning of CUS as a purchase spot or whatsoever…

• '15

Gotcha.  I think we’re talking about two different things though.

My understanding was the other poster was saying “Placing fighters in CUS is no different than placing them in EUS” which of course wouldn’t be the case.  I see your point though and I agree  8-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m